TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

As it's fair to be...Warners has been spit-balling the thing for a decade or so already...nearly getting there numerous times, then pulling the plug at the last minute. 

What happens is that another studio brings out a Hollywood version of a classic Japanese Anime, and it fails at the box office, , causing Warners to pull the plug on Akira.  Fact is that big budget live action Hollywood versions of anime have a pretty bad history at the box office. I would bet that Warners saw how Alita underperformed and barely broke even over at Disney/Fox , and decided not to pull the trigger on Akira..again.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I'm sorry, I honestly don't get why anyone really wants a live action American-made Akira movie or why that was a creatively commendable idea. Or why Taika Waititi was a good fit for the material. The whole thing made no sense to me. 

From a business point of view, I agree. Live action versions of classic Anime has a terrible box office record.

I think the problem is most of them fall between two stools. They turn off fans of the original who consider them to be bad, unfaithful adaptations, and seem just plain not to interest mainstream audiences.

Alita did a little better then most, but still just broke even,and Fox was stuck with little return on a big investment. I am sure this had a lot to do with Warners basically getting very cold feet on Akira.

2 minutes ago, kitik said:

Really surprised to see all the Ragnarok haters in this thread.

Some CBM fans take everything too damn seriously,,and don't like something like Ragnarok which pretty much pokes fun at a lot the classic CBM memes,

And that is a huge change from when I was farily active in fandom in the 90's: it has gotten too damn serious and too many fans can't really laugh at themesleves or the charecters they love. Which is really sad.

• Like 4

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Another $1 Billion film for the MCU especially after Infinity War/Endgame 

It does seem pretty likely after Thor's rather enjoyable appearances in Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame. Fans and audiences are loving him right now.

That said, remember that first Ragnarok trailer, and how everybody's jaw dropped after watching it? Let's wait a few years and actually watch the trailer for Thor 4 to see what kind of movie it'll be. And with Taika back again, this could be another one that shocks us.

3 minutes ago, kitik said:

It does seem pretty likely after Thor's rather enjoyable appearances in Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame. Fans and audiences are loving him right now.

That said, remember that first Ragnarok trailer, and how everybody's jaw dropped after watching it? Let's wait a few years and actually watch the trailer for Thor 4 to see what kind of movie it'll be. And with Taika back again, this could be another one that shocks us.

Come on everyone hated fat Thor in Endgame he was turned in to a complete joke. He better hit the stairmaster before Thor 4

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

Come on everyone hated fat Thor in Endgame he was turned in to a complete joke. He better hit the stairmaster before Thor 4

Yeah that ain't true. Mixed reactions? Sure. Would love to see part of the film is him trying to get back into shape though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gamora said:

Bring back Loki somehow plz and ty.

The fact that so much of Thor’s supporting cast is dead is another reason I’d prefer for Thor to be a supporting character moving forward. Still, I guess they could bring back Hela, and maybe bring in the Enchantress (don’t know if they’ll call her that, though).

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The fact that so much of Thor’s supporting cast is dead is another reason I’d prefer for Thor to be a supporting character moving forward. Still, I guess they could bring back Hela, and maybe bring in the Enchantress (don’t know if they’ll call her that, though).

Sif hasn't been addressed yet, maybe she could return.

12 minutes ago, Gamora said:

Sif hasn't been addressed yet, maybe she could return.

I note they have kept their options open on Sif. we don't know what happened to her. We saw the warriors 3 get chopped but not Sif.

Of course if you know your Norse Mythlogy you know that Sif was the wife of Thor.

I read that Marvel wanted her to be in Ragnarok, but there were too many conflicts with the filming schedule for Jaime Pressly's 's TV series. That might have been a blessing in surprise.

As for the VIllians, anybody else want Crusher Creel...aka The Absorbing Man?

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kitik said:

Lol wut?

Akira was absolutely 100% a comic book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(manga)

1 hour ago, Ithil said:

A manga is a comic.

Both of you are correct in saying that a manga is a comic--I should admit that--though my point is that adaptations of American comic books are much more frequent than adaptations of manga books, thus ensuring that an Akira film would be 'different' than other projects. Not only that, but Japanese manga tends to allow for a unique type of storytelling that you simply don't find in American comics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

As it's fair to be...Warners has been spit-balling the thing for a decade or so already...nearly getting there numerous times, then pulling the plug at the last minute. 

This time Waititi is to blame for pulling out, though I can't really blame him too much for pursuing greener pastures.