TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't understand critics for Marvel's Phase 4. To me, I rate Phase 4 film pretty much the same as Phase 3 so far.  

I'm not fan of Marvel Movies because i'm not a big fan of the 80% of american blockbuster movies, Don't hate me but they are too much imperialist/nationalist and military propaganda (all the superheroes concept is just that, so not only marvel is a problem of course). I hope you people can respect my opinion. 

Saying that I saw Doctor Strange 2 and The eternals and they were kind more interisting than other movies I have seen before, like antman, thor, last avengers for what I remember. 

Edited by vale9001
  • ...wtf 1

May be they should have had the D+ in its own universe with different actors playing the role. It would have been interesting to see alternate Tony Stark/Steve Rogers and may be even more comic booky universe. Or keep it to characters not seen in MCU. Tying tv series to movie cinematic universe is sticky slope. That resulted in DS2 looking weird as soon as we knew who the baddie was early on. 

• Like 1

Part of the problem is comparing Phase 4 to anything besides Phase 1.

Iron Man - 94%

Incredible Hulk - 67%

Iron Man 2 - 72%

Thor - 77%

Captain America - 79% (I honestly don't remember it being this high, but it's been 11 years and I'm sure it's gotten more positives)

We can forget because we might look back on them fondly, but aside from the first Iron Man, the solo movies in Phase 1 were anything but critical darlings.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Even though critics hated marvel for having their movies all connect togther...

I do think in Phase 2 and 3 many sub par marvel films got a boost because we felt it was leading to something epic or amazing.

Now we have no idea what phase 4 is leading to. 

• Like 2

The Pixar comparisons are apt.  
The ongoing debate about whether DS2 was a big hit that rose dramatically from its predecessor or it was a con job that left a lot of money on the table because it was haphazard shows this. 
I thought Up was better than Wall E, that Brave was excellent and Inside Out is an A plus. But look at many of the reviews. They are almost obsessive about whether those films match the previous standard. It’s kind of miserable to read. Obviously, it’s valid to compare a movie to similar ones, but it’s like one of the worst aspects of sports fandom. We can’t enjoy a shooting guard’s career now because Kobe Bryant would’ve made him cry or some bullshit. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't understand critics for Marvel's Phase 4. To me, I rate Phase 4 film pretty much the same as Phase 3 so far.  

It's ironic as when I look at each film individually, they are all good (IMO) In general I liked No Way Home, Shang Chi, Dr Strange 2, Black Widow, even Eternals. The D+ shows have all been entertaining. Yet when people complain at it being purposeless I agree. and this is Marvel's fault as well because they hype it up as all being connected and leading somewhere so that is something fair to expect. Feige claimed that Loki was important and would impact the MCU yet you could watch No Way Home and Dr Strange without sensing any connection. So I completely understand the MCU phase 4 criticisms. 

Having said that I am still excited to watch Thor and hope it does well. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

May be they should have had the D+ in its own universe with different actors playing the role. It would have been interesting to see alternate Tony Stark/Steve Rogers and may be even more comic booky universe. Or keep it to characters not seen in MCU. Tying tv series to movie cinematic universe is sticky slope. That resulted in DS2 looking weird as soon as we knew who the baddie was early on. 

I would have loved that. They say that Avengers Campus is its own 'verse, why not TV? Oh well...

Updated critical rankings:

RT average:

Black Panther- 8.3

Endgame- 8.2

The Avengers- 8.1

Guardians- 7.8

No Way Home- 7.9

Civil War/Homecoming/Iron Man- 7.7

Infinity War/Ragnarok/Winter Soldier- 7.6

ShangChi- 7.5

Fall From Home- 7.4

Doctor Strange/Guardians vol 2- 7.3

Ant-Man and the Wasp/First Avenger/Iron Man 3- 7

Ant-Man/Black Widow- 6.9

Captain Marvel/Ultron- 6.8

Love and Thunder/Thor- 6.7

Iron Man 2/Multiverse of Madness- 6.5

Dark World/Incredible Hulk- 6.2

Eternals- 5.6

Metacritic:

Black Panther- 88

Iron Man- 79

Endgame- 78

Guardians- 76

Ragnarok- 74

Civil War- 75

Homecoming- 73

Doctor Strange- 72

No Way Home/ShangChi- 71

Antman and the Wasp/Winter Soldier- 70

Avengers/Far From Home- 69

Infinity War- 68

Black Widow/Vol 2- 67

First Avenger/Ultron- 66

Antman/Captain Marvel- 64

Love and Thunder- 63

Iron Man 3- 62

Incredible Hulk- 61

Multiverse of Madness- 60

Thor- 57

Dark World- 54

Eternals/Iron Man 2- 52

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Kevin Feige is like

You will get a show, you will get a show, hey you in the back - time to get ready for your show, that one random character in that movie we don't even remember is going to get a show, that little guy hiding behind the tall guy will get a show, and let's give a show to the tall guy too.

Unironically, this is how it's starting to look like. 

Edited by Valonqar

71% with 113 reviews (6.7 average) 

Yeah should finish with 66-70%, let's hope we don't get another B cinemascore here. 

Sounds like a fun time so maybe finally audiences won't be turned down by reviews and overall feeling on social media.

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

71% with 113 reviews (6.7 average) 

Yeah should finish with 66-70%, let's hope we don't get another B cinemascore here. 

Sounds like a fun time so maybe finally audiences won't be turned down by reviews and overall feeling on social media.

That should help at least A- Cinemascore. No review I read so far said it was boring. Negatives drag tonal shifts and underwritten characters but don't call it a snooze which was the main strike against Eternals. Also, it's easy to follow and isn't spasmic like MOM.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Part of the problem is comparing Phase 4 to anything besides Phase 1.

Iron Man - 94%

Incredible Hulk - 67%

Iron Man 2 - 72%

Thor - 77%

Captain America - 79% (I honestly don't remember it being this high, but it's been 11 years and I'm sure it's gotten more positives)

We can forget because we might look back on them fondly, but aside from the first Iron Man, the solo movies in Phase 1 were anything but critical darlings.  

Is L&T REALLY worse than OG Thor? I HAVE DOUBTS without even seeing the movie.

Critics seem to have reached a certain extent of MCU saturation where they are now being more critical than they were previously, which was bound to happen. As long as these movies don't start dropping into the Rotten zone like Eternals and their BO isn't affected, they should be good.

It does seem that they would've been better off adapting either the Jane Thor storyline or the Gorr storyline and not both.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Critics seem to have reached a certain extent of MCU saturation where they are now being more critical than they were previously, which was bound to happen. As long as these movies don't start dropping into the Rotten zone like Eternals and their BO isn't affected, they should be good.

It does seem that they would've been better off adapting either the Jane Thor storyline or the Gorr storyline and not both.

The OG Thor was amazing though. Never understood the dislike for that one. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Alls I'm saying is that critics in 2011 didn't rave about Thor like they did later on.  They didn't rave about anyone except Iron Man.  MCU isn't dead, it's just growing pains and maybe they come out the other side strong, we just don't know yet.  

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 3