TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Kevin Feige needs to reign in his directors.

One of criticism of MCU in earlier phases was that it doesn't allow Directors to do their things, although that's what was making MCU constant, directors could do their stuff, but within Marvel constraints, which turned out not to be that bad of a thing as people say.

Whereas in this phase it seems Kevin has said to them do whatever you want to do. 

Nah, that's not the problem. The problem hasn't been a greater sense of auteurism in the style and tone. The problem has been the scrips, which are still written by committee by writers chosen by Marvel. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Nah, that's not the problem. The problem hasn't been a greater sense of auteurism in the style and tone. The problem has been the scrips, which are still written by committee by writers chosen by Marvel. 

You're right about the committee writing of Dr. Strange+BW (and NWH to an extent) but Thor 4 and Eternals were written by the directors. ShangChi also. 

In fact, I think the first director who actually wrote the script and got credit was Whedon for Avengers?

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Wouldn't 5.2 be normal for this? Especially after it overperformed with walk-ups with 3pm showtimes. NWH has a similar multiplier. 

NWH was in December. Feels like a July comic sequel will be more opening day heavy 

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You're right about the committee writing of Dr. Strange+BW (and NWH to an extent) but Thor 4 and Eternals were written by the directors. ShangChi also. 

In fact, I think the first director who actually wrote the script and got credit was Whedon for Avengers?

Fair points. I haven't seen it, but I imagine it's likely the script is still at fault for Love & Thunder. Waititi's an overrated writer. 

Shang Chi and No Way Home were good movies, and I personally liked Eternals. 

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If there was a script, Taika wrote in on a napkin 5 minutes before shooting

tbh I think this would've been far better if they let a committee write it and then let Taika have free range on set like Ragnarok. Everything about the way he wrote his actual good NZ movies indicates he's not well suited to corporate deadline screenwriting. 

25 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Wouldn't 5.2 be normal for this? Especially after it overperformed with walk-ups with 3pm showtimes. NWH has a similar multiplier. 

Someone else can answer this better then me btu many things at play.  Mainly  Xmas realease vs Mid summer.  Consensus I saw was 5.5-5.9x likely.   

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

So are we thinking Taika will come back for a Thor 5? Cause most signs indicate he didn't even think he'd be back for a Thor 4 and then scrambled to figure something out lol

Good question. 
Is there a magic gross that Marvel wants to keep going?

Seems that Hemsworth is very tied to Taika also. 

Just now, Mr Terrific said:

Good question. 
Is there a magic gross that Marvel wants to keep going?

Seems that Hemsworth is very tied to Taika also. 

I mean if this hit $1b they would obviously get him back ASAP and even if he was reluctant, throw money at him until he agreed. That's not happening so I guess maybe $900m?

Chris and Taika are basically BFFs so I feel like they come as a package deal unless Thor starts appearing in other people's franchises instead.

The MCU's strength was based on its source material.  They took the best story beats, whose popularity had stood the test of time, and adapted them.  Phase 4 changed that approach, focusing on newer, less proven characters and storylines.

Adapt popular comics >> profit

Adapt less popular comics >> less profit

It seems simple to me.

23 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean if this hit $1b they would obviously get him back ASAP and even if he was reluctant, throw money at him until he agreed. That's not happening so I guess maybe $900m?

Chris and Taika are basically BFFs so I feel like they come as a package deal unless Thor starts appearing in other people's franchises instead.

I say $700 mil WW or lower -- if word of mouth is as dicey as it already is from the residents in this thread!  

Hemsworth will stick around regardless of whether Waititi does -- Hems knows where his bread and butter is.  

TOLDJA!  

• Like 2