TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Life is beautiful is a genius film. The way he tells that story is not problematic in any way, also Benigni is incredible. Taika is just an annoying actor.

In the late years someone here in Italy is hating a little bit Life is beautiful cause american producers "forced" Benigni to end the movie with americans saving the people in the camp while in the real history Russians made that 😅

My point is not whether you like it or not, but that life is beautiful and jojo rabbit have almost identical MC/RT/letterboxd scores lol. They’re both barely in the yellow on MC, ~80 on RT and have very high RT audience and letterboxd ratings. A whole generation of kids including myself grew up watching life is beautiful in school and now we totally forget that at the time it was NOT actually critically acclaimed. 

$106M second weekend of Jurassic World didn’t hurt Inside Out ($90M OW)

$80M second weekend of I2 didn’t hurt JWFK ($148M)

So now why would ($40-$50M) second weekend of Minions 2 hurt Thor opening????

:winomg:

I also don't understand "overposed Taika" complaint. It isn't that GA makes the connection that director of Thor movies and Jojo, the villain from Free Guy and the voice of Korg, Mando droid and whoever he voiced in Lightyear are the same person to go "enough with this guy already". 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I also don't understand "overposed Taika" complaint. It isn't that GA makes the connection that director of Thor movies and Jojo, the villain from Free Guy and the voice of Korg, Mando droid and whoever he voiced in Lightyear are the same person to go "enough with this guy already". 

I do think disney is really going all in on him as a celebrity director/brand like you can see just by how they’re marketing his films that he’s the “star” and he is probably one of the few directors out there whose personality is a thing in it or itself… but I think his projects are varied enough that there isn’t a huge overlap between their fanbases even like his tv shows, acting gigs and directing jobs are all over the map and the only people who experience serious fatigue are terminally online twitter people / culture writers who I guess by their career have to keep up with ALL of pop culture. and sure you can criticize free guy all you want but it doesn’t change the fact that the GA actually love that movie like it was one of the genuinely surprising hits of a very difficult box office summer. 

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I just explained that a movie that is marketed with naked Thor is not targeting families as its primary audience. It's for teens and adults first. 

Adults?  This ain't Cronenberg.  Both Waititi and Bale have literally mentioned the word "family" audience in terms of having to curb certain elements they shot for this movie because of the mandates of the product/marketability.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

That's not true. There's def a lot of directors, especially who act, with mainstream awareness. Peele is another

Peele is another, I was giving just the biggest example, not that they are the only ones.

Taika tv shows are not watched because his name.

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

That's not true. There's def a lot of directors, especially who act, with mainstream awareness. Peele is another

Agree. I'm not sure Waititi is one of them though. But, yeah, in addition to Nolan and Cameron, people definitely still are familiar with Tarantino, Bay, Burton, Scorsese, Spielberg, Peele (as you mentioned) as well as others I'm forgetting. Heck, Snyder too. 

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

Adults?  This ain't Cronenberg.  Both Waititi and Bale have literally mentioned the word "family" audience in terms of having to curb certain elements they shot for this movie because of the mandates of the product/marketability.  

Yup. I know it's the not the same but caught latest Minions with my mom and sis and the level of butts and butt cracks were at high a super high level. I don't think too many parents are gonna be swayed to not see because Thor's ass is bare and exposed from a distance for a few seconds. Families will definitely still turn up... It's marketing is showcasing something more accessible than Strange 2's marketing was pushing for sure...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Agree. I'm not sure Waititi is one of them though. But, yeah, in addition to Nolan and Cameron, people definitely still are familiar with Tarantino, Bay, Burton, Scorsese, Spielberg, Peele (as you mentioned) as well as others I'm forgetting. Heck, Snyder too. 

People who are aware of Snyder are probably aware of Waititi plus all the James Gunn, JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson-type people too at least, like that's basically the fanboy crowd that has extremely strong opinions on that kind of thing lol. Obviously Nolan, Cameron, Tarantino, Spielberg and Scorsese are way above the rest cause they're been around much longer. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. I know it's the not the same but caught latest Minions with my mom and sis and the level of butts and butt cracks were at high a super high level. I don't think too many parents are gonna be swayed to not see because Thor's ass is bare and exposed from a distance for a few seconds. Families will definitely still turn up... It's marketing is showcasing something more accessible than Strange 2's marketing was pushing for sure...

Dr. Strange literally just showed up in the most kid friendly superhero's megahit movie. Even if the advertising was teasing something a bit darker, it was still billed as a follow up to NWH, and I really don't think parents knew what was coming until they saw it. 

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Dr. Strange literally just showed up in the most kid friendly superhero's megahit movie. Even if the advertising was teasing something a bit darker, it was still billed as a follow up to NWH, and I really don't think parents knew what was coming until they saw it. 

That's true. The marketing never teased as something super duper kid friendly though and the marketing was pervasive. Showcased evil woman coated something that looked like blood and the all the colors in all marketing were hues of grey, purple, red, black... Colors kids generally don't respond to like those in the Thor marketing. Marketing for Strange very much teased as a PG-13 fantasy/horror superhero mashup. Thor just looks much more playful and colorful (literally) in what's being pushing via trailers and TV spots. Looks like Ragnarok, Guardian's Vol. 2, MiB, OG Clash of the Titans vibes....

5 hours ago, Fox20 said:

Peele is another, I was giving just the biggest example, not that they are the only ones.

Taika tv shows are not watched because his name.

What You Do in the Shadows is based on his film and he has a small appearance and featured in marketing for the HBO MAX one. He certainly is a minor draw, at very least

12 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What You Do in the Shadows is based on his film and he has a small appearance and featured in marketing for the HBO MAX one. He certainly is a minor draw, at very least

Yeah, I would say the first season of WWDITS was heavily marketed on him as it was directly post-Ragnarok, even though his involvement was minimal just as EP and director of the pilot. Now it's been several seasons and the show has its own fanbase of course. 

Reservation Dogs probably doesn't even get made without him. IDK how high the viewership is for that show but literally everything about that show was marketed on his name. 

He's the only recognizable person in OFMD, but honestly there wasn't much marketing from HBO for the show, it was more of a word of mouth hit that blew up later in the season/after the season aired. 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:52 AM, Valonqar said:

This has to be a satire, right? 

Not the same target audience. Some overlap but L&T isn't for kids nor it pretedns to be. Naked Thor is featuring in previews so that right there tells you it isn't a kid-friendly kind of comedy. Teens and adults will flock to it instead. 

Took the kids to see Minions this weekend, and there sure was a whole lot of exposed yellow ass

And let's be honest: naked Thor isn't there to pull in kids, or dissuade them, but for the moms (and some dads). Making up for the Endgame beer belly/unkempt beard & hair images

• Like 1