TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Eh, Jojo Rabbit dealt with a delicate issue and a number of critics hated the film for it. There's no reason a fun MCU film should be that divisive.

well this movie is a fun movie with the cancer issue, maybe that was a problem for some people

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

As an MCU fan, Critics are surely lenient for MCU. 

But that is only because how much MCU was fun for all, even the lower quality movies had enough humour and likeable characters to get them decent ratings.

Eternals had neither character nor humor, and it is rotten.

Although i have absolutely no idea how  Multiverse of Madness is 74 on RT. It's inexplicable except leniency. 

Maybe they just liked it, i found MOM very entertaining. 

But yes, i agreed with you the overall tone of the movies is a plus. It does feel like even some big troubles can get a pass because it´s good to watch and in the end, it overshadow the problems, but it needs to be well done and it is in most movies, afterall having good humour alone never saved a movie. And it´s not like these movies get high praises anyway, getting average around 7 - 7.5 is not really astonishing reception to be suspect.

So in the end i don´t think this is leniency to an specific brand, people just like to go in a theater and have a nice experience for 2 hours, critics are human beings afterall, this is also valid to them when the movie is at least well done overall. Minions 2 just had good reviews that pretty much everyone said it´s simple dumb fun and it´s ok exactly like many Thor reviews.

Imo the biggest proof that there´s nothing inherent wrong with MCU reviews is that audiences agreed and like the movies even more in some cases, there´s no dissonance to sustain an argument that the movies are bad and critics are being kind.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Maybe they just liked it, i found MOM very entertaining. 

But yes, i agreed with you the overall tone of the movies is a plus. It does feel like even some big troubles can get a pass because it´s good to watch and in the end, it overshadow the problems, but it needs to be well done and it is in most movies, afterall having good humour alone never saved a movie. And it´s not like these movies get high praises anyway, getting average around 7 - 7.5 is not really astonishing reception to be suspect.

So in the end i don´t think this is leniency to an specific brand, people just like to go in a theater and have a nice experience for 2 hours, critics are human beings afterall, this is also valid to them when the movie is at least well done overall. Minions 2 just had good reviews that pretty much everyone said it´s simple dumb fun and it´s ok exactly like many Thor reviews.

Imo the biggest proof that there´s nothing inherent wrong with MCU reviews is that audiences agreed and like the movies even more in some cases, there´s no dissonance to sustain an argument that the movies are bad and critics are being kind.

Most of the times MCU critics ratings are similar to audience reception and whenever critics ratings are low audience reception also match that.

I guess only other franchise where critics and audience agree with each other is Pixar.

Rest of movie franchises are basically a war between critics and audience.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Most of the times MCU critics ratings are similar to audience reception and whenever critics ratings are low audience reception also match that.

I guess only other franchise where critics and audience agree with each other is Pixar.

Rest of movie franchises are basically a war between critics and audience.

Exactly. Don't think there is huge possibility that audience would love this one very much.

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

It will play like DS2 and most likely have better holds because of Summer. But people are freaking out over reviews a lot more now than they were back in Phase-1/2. For any other CBM franchise, 72% RT would have been seen as a massive win lol.

• ASIAN F
A grade between 80 and 89%.

Likewise, an Asian C is from 90-94% and an Asian B is from 95-99%. Only a grade of 100+ can be called an Asian A.
Example:
"Oh my god! I got a B in math!"
"Get ready for some kung-fu ownage when you get home, because you just got an Asian F!"

Edited by vale9001
  • Disbelief 1

Seems to have settled at 71% on RT just now. Using MOM, probably ~280 reviews still to come. But it hasn’t dropped overnight so maybe it’ll settle in the 70’s.

I’d assume the rest of the reviews will be from blogs who have to wait until general release to see it. 

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Of course some critics are still going easy on this. You can see from the reviews blurbs which sound flat o it negative yet still are “fresh” reviews 

So real value in 60s? 

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

It will play like DS2 and most likely have better holds because of Summer. But people are freaking out over reviews a lot more now than they were back in Phase-1/2. For any other CBM franchise, 72% RT would have been seen as a massive win lol.

Oh christ, I can't imagine what BOT would have been like if they were around for the First Avenger reviews, which initially started at a 26% on RT. Wed get eight billion lectures about how it was doomed and a sign Phase 1 was destined for failure.

Speaking of, to all the people saying Phase 4 hasn't set up any big long term plans: Thanos didn't appear until the last few seconds of Phase 1. We've already got a movie starring Kang about 6-7 months out after him already appearing in Loki.

(Though IDK if maybe Feige will change up stuff and make Quantimania start Phase 5!due to the reshuffling).

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

RT critical rating and Meta critical rating aka critical reception have an impact on the boxoffice only if a movie is raved (90-100% RT for example) or panned (50% and down for example). Raved movie convinces the fence-sitters and even creates interest with some disinterested audience members. Panned movie kills the intrest in fence sitters and could also turn off some audience that was interested previously. Middling reviews such as 65-80% range don't have any impact. Those who want to see the movie will see it, those who don't won't. Since L&T received middling reviews, it won't lose audience that want to see it. Also, critics and audience don't always agree. Look at TLJ. Critical darling but widely divisive among audience. 

29 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I predicted the MCU demise after MOM and it's turning out to be true

If everyone is gonna be using RT to determine whether the MCU is "facing demise" or not it's helpful to not ignore the gigantic contradiction to your argument.

ijGeFu8.jpg

• Like 4