TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Then don’t. Is anyone forcing you to celebrate? Or participate for that matter?

Those who want to, will. 

I really don't get if you dismiss something this hard why going in the thread everyday to be a killer party 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

why should we celebrate mediocrity/laziness making money?

I mean what was Minions about then lmao. Also the fact that everything’s mostly doing well is a good sign for theaters.. if only great movies did well, then RIP theatrical. 

I haven’t seen it yet but if the film is as bad as some people say I'm afraid it will retrospectively hurt Ragnarok's perception and reputation in people' minds which is a shame as it was an excellent film, one of the most beloved Marvel films between both fandom and general audience. 

I have impression since quite some time that Taika got lost a bit in his success and sudden fame and has lost a creative focus in a way, he spreads himself thin, he gets involved in so many various projects, it's crazy, no matter how brilliant as an artist artist you are (and he is brilliant) if you have to work on 5 diffrent projects (in lesser or grater capacity of course) at the same time the quality of work will suffer in the end, human brain can have only so much focus and attention. 

Edited by Movie nerd

Man, I just got back from Thor 4, I did not like this movie one bit. I can’t believe I was so let down by this movie and Doctor Strange 2. This is Taika’s first big miss for me. I got a AOU/Whedon feel from this movie, and maybe Waititi was just worn out. Outside of Top Gun Maverick, this whole summer has been a huge letdown. Phase 4 is on a downwards trajectory at least this year. 

• Like 1

Just finished this. Bale and portman were great and held the bright spots of the film.

Thor has been turned into a joke,they just don't know what to do with his character anymore.

So many moments were undercut by lots of humour. The whole plotline involving the kids was infuriating tbh. 

Yeah they were some funny moments but overall it was a little excessive.

Valkyrie was pointless in this film and third act just so convenient and ending with thor didn't work for me.

6/10 . Disappointing. Unless audience score rises . Another CS with a B infront of it and that will be 3 out of the last 4.

Not saying marvel is crumbling .They are gonna do well at the box office but something is clearly wrong and even those trying to use this is like phase 1 excuse ,phase 1 audience reception is looking better.

Phase 3 had one A-  CS as it's lowest. Phase 4 already has 2 Bs and an A- with thor likely to make it 3 Bs

Yeah this was bad. MCU going through a definite rough patch with probably the 3rd Disney B range in a row after basically sterling straight As for infinity saga (though personally, Eternals is one of the two great movies so far this phase).

That said I don’t think they are doomed or anything. There is a massive amount of built up good will, and a return to excellence will keep them on top for the rest of the decade at least.  

On the other hand, obviously if you keep on like this that good will diminishes and eventually you will see reception translate to BO issues franchise wide rather than  just for individual flicks.

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It seems like this is Marvels Wonder Woman 1984: people who like the craziness love it and the people that don't can't stand it.

It wasn’t that bad but this is actually a pretty solid comparison.

1 minute ago, Legion and Thunder said:

It wasn’t that bad but this is actually a pretty solid comparison.

Not necessarily in terms of quality but the crazy tones are kinda similar. I will say there's zero question about whether or not Thor commits sexual assault in this movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It seems like this is Marvels Wonder Woman 1984: people who like the craziness love it and the people that don't can't stand it.

WW 1984 would have gotten B or B- Cinemascore in normal times, it got B+ score bcz it was released during pandemic where only few hardcore fans went to theatres to watch it, more GA watched it more they hated it.

• Like 1

Up to 87% verified, let's see, the sample is still too small (250 reviews)

And since some die hard fans really HATE what Taika did to the character, this could be an issue for these audience grades. 

If it's the case it can still ended up with an A- cinemascore, but yeah, it's definitely not a good start, If it's right then it will be another B something.