TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

2 hours ago, Nikostar said:

That was a good laugh. Definitely needed that today 

It's his opinion and I respect it. I can actually see it too because I don't think that poster is really in to Marvel. If you're not a Marvel then maybe one can enjoy it as its own goofy thing.

But as a Marvel fan and judging it in the context of the MCU, it's utterly dreadful.

5 hours ago, Verrows said:

It's his opinion and I respect it. I can actually see it too because I don't think that poster is really in to Marvel. If you're not a Marvel then maybe one can enjoy it as its own goofy thing.

But as a Marvel fan and judging it in the context of the MCU, it's utterly dreadful.

I generally like the MCU but I am going to judge every film on it;s own merits, and not cut it any slack of ignore flaws and bad filmaking just because it is a MCU film. This is where many fans go wrong,IHHO>

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2023/04/thor-love-and-thunder-box-office-profits-1235317525/

Thor: Love and Thunder still profited after all ancillaries with $103 million, despite the fourth movie not being a favorite among fans (B+, same grade as the first Thor) or critics, who gave the movie its lowest Rotten Tomatoes score in the franchise with 63%. Essentially, Waititi’s sense of humor wore thin. The movie still debuted to a record franchise opening of $144.1M domestic, though under an anticipated $160M. That said, Thor: Love and Thunder set a series record with its $302M worldwide debut. At the end of the day, while Thor 4 grossed more than Thor: Ragnarok at the domestic box office, $343.2M vs. $315M, worldwide, the fourth movie was lower than the third, $760.9M vs. $855.3M, a key reason being the lack of Russia and China. Disney is among those studios blocking its theatrical releases in Russia as a sanction for the country’s invasion of Ukraine, while China largely has turned its back on Disney and Marvel fare coming out of Covid. Disney developed a controversial reputation for theatrical day-and-date releases on Disney+ when theaters were trying to reopen in 2021, and waged a controversial lawsuit with Scarlett Johansson over Black Widow. Despite that, Thor: Love and Thunder, like other post-pandemic MCU titles Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Eternals and Doctor Strange 2, enjoyed a lengthy theatrical window before dropping on the studio’s streaming service 63 days later (September 8). That $160M global streaming figure includes the money Disney paid itself to debut Thor: Love and Thunder on Disney+. Despite higher production costs here compared to Ragnarok ($250M vs. $180M), Thor: Love and Thunder still profits despite coming in lower than Thor: Ragnarok‘s $174.2M.

Helmsworth THor 4 was too silly sort of sums up my feelings. It went a bit too far with the off the wall humor. Thor 3 hit the right balance, this missed it.Thor 5..if there is one, does need to be a bit more serious. I am betting if it happens it will be with a new director.

I can see people down for a final Thor film in which he goes up against Hercules, coupled with the responsibilities of being a father himself, trying to avoid Odin's mistakes. It could do enough to set up Hercules' arc in the MCU, much like what Wakanda Forever did for Namor (regardless of what happens with Huerta). Don't know if I'd place it before or after Secret Wars though. Depends on whether they plan to kill him off or keep him alive for possible cameos in the next bunch of Avengers films.

Edited by toutvabien

9 hours ago, toutvabien said:

I can see people down for a final Thor film in which he goes up against Hercules, coupled with the responsibilities of being a father himself, trying to avoid Odin's mistakes. It could do enough to set up Hercules' arc in the MCU, much like what Wakanda Forever did for Namor (regardless of what happens with Huerta). Don't know if I'd place it before or after Secret Wars though. Depends on whether they plan to kill him off or keep him alive for possible cameos in the next bunch of Avengers films.

Thing is Herc ends up being a good guy in the MCU,,,becoming one of Ben Grimm's Poker Buddies.

SO you would need a Real..Ie Genuinly bad...villian along with Herc in Thor 5.

Do you all remember that famous Lindsay Ellis video essay about how she loves Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, despite the criticisms thrown at that film back when it was released? So, I have just found sort of like the perfect "in defence of Thor: Love and Thunder" video essay. Love and Thunder has been a lot in my mind lately, I always get more reflexive at this time of the year because it gets closer to my brother’s birthday that passed away from cancer 12 years ago. I don’t expect most people to identify themselves with my love for Love and Thunder, since it’s odd even to me that a critically panned MCU film hits me this hard, but I feel like this random dude from the internet that was capable of perfectly encapsulating how I feel about this one. I had a good time watching this so I think it would be cool to share:

I don’t expect to change anyone’s hearts and minds about Love and Thunder, but it’s good to know that at least someone out there feels similarly about this film, it kinda has a special place in my heart between all the MCU films so far.

• Heart 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, ChipDerby said:

This is better than every other Phase 4/5 film.

I don’t agree with this, but this film almost breaks into my MCU top 10, and it did break my MCU Top 10 before Vol. 3. It’s by far my favorite Thor film and I think it’s incredibly misunderstood. As a Taika Waititi fan, I’m not sure how people seem to think he didn’t care about this one. It’s the same director from JoJo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, of course that he’d infuse comedy to tell a serious story. I think of this is a space opera fairy tale for children. It’s a story about loss, told as a fairy tale that tackles heavy subjects and very dark subjects with humor. And I absolutely love the film for it.

It’s my third favorite MCU film from Phase 4 onwards, behind only Spider-Man: No Way Home, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Do you all remember that famous Lindsay Ellis video essay about how she loves Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, despite the criticisms thrown at that film back when it was released? So, I have just found sort of like the perfect "in defence of Thor: Love and Thunder" video essay. Love and Thunder has been a lot in my mind lately, I always get more reflexive at this time of the year because it gets closer to my brother’s birthday that passed away from cancer 12 years ago. I don’t expect most people to identify themselves with my love for Love and Thunder, since it’s odd even to me that a critically panned MCU film hits me this hard, but I feel like this random dude from the internet that was capable of perfectly encapsulating how I feel about this one. I had a good time watching this so I think it would be cool to share:

I don’t expect to change anyone’s hearts and minds about Love and Thunder, but it’s good to know that at least someone out there feels similarly about this film, it kinda has a special place in my heart between all the MCU films so far.

I didn't like this movie at all, but admittedly some of the Portman stuff worked for me. Lost a friend to cancer 2 years ago now.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I didn't like this movie at all, but admittedly some of the Portman stuff worked for me. Lost a friend to cancer 2 years ago now.

I’m sorry for your loss. And yeah, I saw a lot of my brother on that. They don’t like to let cancer dictate their story, and on that I felt Love and Thunder did incredible justice to Jane’s story. I really like how the essay gets that Thor, Jane and Gorr are equally dealing with grief, but on their own terms. Thor is denial, Gorr is anger and Jane is acceptance. It’s an incredibly powerful and deep comedy made for actual little kids. I genuinely think it’s a misunderstood MCU film. For all the cynic things MCU can do (like Quantumania), this film has a lot more of heart than people give it credit for. 

• Like 1