TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

1 hour ago, IceFire9yt said:

Thor Ragnarok's runtime was 130 minutes, I don't get why a 120 minute runtime would be a problem.

I agree it's stupid, but the reaction to Dr Strange MOM having a two hour running time proves a lot of people are convinced that a long running time is indiicitive of quality.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

That depends on the film, frankly. some movies are "Critic Proof" others are not.

Same thing with WOM.

I meant that "getting yellow" on MC won't matter if the movie made more than enough money so it literally cannot be a flop.

Being a few minutes shorter than 130 minutes isn't too bad.

With action movies (but in particular superhero movies in general), the sweet zone of run time is between 130-140 minutes. In a way, it illustrates the bang for your buck. But when a superhero film goes from 120-140 minutes in one entry or sequel to the next film being 80 or 90 minutes, yeah, there's a problem. . .it's a sign something went wrong during production. Look at Morbius, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: The Last Stand, all three Fantastic Four films (but especially Fan4stic - which has no second act, and Rise of the Silver Surfer), and to a lesser extent the Venom films.

But 90-100 minutes work better for animated movies and horror movies.

Date        Movie                              OW                                        Final DOM                            Studio

7/8/2022 Thor: Love and Thunder $155,000,00 –$205,000,000  $350,000,000–$495,000,000  Disney / Marvel Studios

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-marvel-studios-thor-love-and-thunder/

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

I'll go 160-170 OW:

Final DOM: 425-452(2.66)/457m-486m (2.86)

MCU summer multipliers since Avengers: (excluding FFH which opened during a 5day)

Doctor Strange- 2.10(currently)

Black Widow- 2.29 (with Disney+)

Endgame- 2.40

Antman and Wasp- 2.86

Infinity War- 2.63

Homecoming- 2.86

Guardians vol 2- 2.66

Civil War- 2.28

Antman- 3.15

Ultron- 2.40

Guardians- 3.54

Iron Man- 2.35

Going with Guardians 2 range of 2.6. I still think reviews and reception will be weaker than Ragnarok and while being a fun movie, maybe not exactly an EVENT even following Endgame and featuring Guardians. That said, end of July and majority of August is bleak for new releases and especially family friendly films except Superpets

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I'll go 160-170 OW:

Final DOM: 425-452(2.66)/457m-486m (2.86)

MCU summer multipliers since Avengers: (excluding FFH which opened during a 5day)

Doctor Strange- 2.10(currently)

Black Widow- 2.29 (with Disney+)

Endgame- 2.40

Antman and Wasp- 2.86

Infinity War- 2.63

Homecoming- 2.86

Guardians vol 2- 2.66

Civil War- 2.28

Antman- 3.15

Ultron- 2.40

Guardians- 3.54

Iron Man- 2.35

Going with Guardians 2 range of 2.6. I still think reviews and reception will be weaker than Ragnarok and while being a fun movie, maybe not exactly an EVENT even following Endgame and featuring Guardians. That said, end of July and majority of August is bleak for new releases and especially family friendly films except Superpets

I don't think beginning of May counts as summer, so am thinking more like 2.7-2.8 on a 160-170ish OW or maybe lower if OW is closer to 200. It's better to compare with just the July ones rather than summer as a whole. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1