TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Hulk underperformed no doubt. Flop it was not but we are likely dealing in semantics we aren't going to agree upon. 

I think if a film loses money it's a flop, and Hulk 2008 lost money;it did not make back it's budget.

It's a minor flop because it did not lose a lot of money, but flop it did.

Edited by dudalb
  • Disbelief 1

55 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think if a film loses money it's a flop

Imo it is quite more complicated than that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-office_bomb

In the motion picture industry, a box-office bomb or box-office flop is a film that is considered highly unsuccessful or unprofitable during its theatrical run, often following significant hype regarding its cost, production, or marketing efforts ....

The label is generally applied to films that miss earnings projections by a wide margin,....

The term historically have been for movie that lost a lot of money, not just a small amount, like Tree of Life for example isn't necessarily a flop even if it lost money. But in our franchise world a movie that lost a little amount of made a small profit can be one imo, if Lion Kings would have made 500m WW, that would have been a flop.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AndyK said:

My BP prediction was based on trailer views, which at the time were pretty pisd poor compared to other MCU movies.

Umm what?

While the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok is Marvel and parent company Disney’s most-watched ever (with 136 million views), Black Panther lands in the top 3 of most-watched Marvel trailer content.

Black Panther surpasses the views for teasers for top Marvel and Disney-released movies such as Captain America: Civil War (61 million), Star Wars: The Force Awakens (55 million) and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (52 million).

Black Panther was also massive on Twitter, generating 349,000 mentions in 24 hours. It generated more mentions than the NBA game during which it debuted, second only to the launch of the Star Wars: The Last Jedi teaser.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-teaser-trailer-racks-up-89m-views-first-24-hours-1012811

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Not sure why people assume this. Jane is Thor's love interest and I'd say it's better to build on their dynamic and history than stripping that away in favor of a romance between two characters who've had zero onscreen interaction. Just bring on someone else for Val. 

At the time of the Jane Thor storyline, she's well beyond being Thor's love interest.

While I tend to think that the Jane/Thor romance is among the best in the MCU, that's mostly because the MCU is TERRIBLE at romance. When there is chemistry, they dramatically misread the room and bungle it in the end (Steve/Peggy), or they try and push stuff that has no chemistry (Steve/Sharon), or they just outright ignore the chemistry that's there (Steve/Bucky). (Carol/Maria is probably also going to be in this boat. You've got Tony/Pepper, but that's just... there. Starlord/Gamora is among the weakest elements in the GotG films. Strange's romance might as well have not existed. Scott/Hope has good friendship chemistry, but no romance. Oh, there was BW/Hulk, but that was gag inducing. And, uh, Switch/Vision just didn't click. Emoting while not emoting doesn't convey.

So basically, there's T'challa/Nakia.

Nah, just let it go here. Make Jane be what she's supposed to be: the most brilliant scientist on earth. And the most worthy.

I think Quill/Gamora works but it's only down to actor chemistry. I agree i would rather they give up on romance, it feels quite outdated and a bit 2000s CBM. We have come a long way.

Peter/MJ works for me, was the best bit of Far From Home, just a shame most of the film was generic MCU action. Would have much preferred to spend a whole film just exploring their relationship. Hopefully Spiderman 3 makes better use of it.

Zendaya is far better than Kirsten Dunst ever was in the role. 

Edited by Avatree

4 hours ago, ElsaRoc said:

At the time of the Jane Thor storyline, she's well beyond being Thor's love interest.

While I tend to think that the Jane/Thor romance is among the best in the MCU, that's mostly because the MCU is TERRIBLE at romance. When there is chemistry, they dramatically misread the room and bungle it in the end (Steve/Peggy), or they try and push stuff that has no chemistry (Steve/Sharon), or they just outright ignore the chemistry that's there (Steve/Bucky). (Carol/Maria is probably also going to be in this boat. You've got Tony/Pepper, but that's just... there. Starlord/Gamora is among the weakest elements in the GotG films. Strange's romance might as well have not existed. Scott/Hope has good friendship chemistry, but no romance. Oh, there was BW/Hulk, but that was gag inducing. And, uh, Switch/Vision just didn't click. Emoting while not emoting doesn't convey.

So basically, there's T'challa/Nakia.

Nah, just let it go here. Make Jane be what she's supposed to be: the most brilliant scientist on earth. And the most worthy.

Chemistry is subjective, evident by the fact that I disagree with much of what you've said here, lol. 

My point about Jane is simply that she already has a romantic connection to Thor so one should not assume that there will be a Jane/Val romance, which would not resonate as much as Jane/Thor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Chemistry is subjective, evident by the fact that I disagree with much of what you've said here, lol. 

My point about Jane is simply that she already has a romantic connection to Thor so one should not assume that there will be a Jane/Val romance, which would not resonate as much as Jane/Thor. 

Val can have Sif, Darsy or whoever. Jane is for Thor and Thor is for Jane. Period.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Mark Mothersbaugh is a god.

Devo. The Rugrats theme. Everything he's done with Lord and Miller.

He whips it real good.

The electric guitar in 2nd half the main theme just goosebumps 

rugrats is iconic. Love that theme 

seems like he utilizes synths a lot with unique instruments 

looking at at his film credits edits doesn’t seem he does much big films tho 

19 hours ago, Avatree said:

I think Quill/Gamora works but it's only down to actor chemistry. I agree i would rather they give up on romance, it feels quite outdated and a bit 2000s CBM. We have come a long way.

Peter/MJ works for me, was the best bit of Far From Home, just a shame most of the film was generic MCU action. Would have much preferred to spend a whole film just exploring their relationship. Hopefully Spiderman 3 makes better use of it.

Zendaya is far better than Kirsten Dunst ever was in the role. 

Oh, yeah. Peter/MJ is really good. I chalk it up to Amy Pascal. (The Peter/Gwen romance in the Amazing films were among the best things there, too.)

15 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

My friends who are WAY more into the MCU than me, and also more attuned to romance, don't really see much that works in the MCU.

My point about Jane is that there's no reason for romance to be part of her story at all. She and Thor dated, they had some fun, they broke up, and they moved on. Going back to it feels like a character regression for her. I could see Thor pining for her because he'd like some connection to his past that is intact, but I also see it as decidedly one sided.

8 hours ago, ElsaRoc said:

Oh, yeah. Peter/MJ is really good. I chalk it up to Amy Pascal. (The Peter/Gwen romance in the Amazing films were among the best things there, too.)

My friends who are WAY more into the MCU than me, and also more attuned to romance, don't really see much that works in the MCU.

My point about Jane is that there's no reason for romance to be part of her story at all. She and Thor dated, they had some fun, they broke up, and they moved on. Going back to it feels like a character regression for her. I could see Thor pining for her because he'd like some connection to his past that is intact, but I also see it as decidedly one sided.

With a title like Love and Thunder, it's safe to say romance will be a big part of the movie and I don't think it would be regression for Jane at all. Indeed, her becoming Thor gives the two characters an even greater connection and Taika should absolutely explore that. 

I actually agree that the MCU, in general, hasn't done romance well, or hasn't placed a lot of emphasis on it. We just don't agree on what does or doesn't work. For me, Peter/Gamora are a standout, along with Peter/MJ (I give the credit to Watts and the writers) and Jane/Thor have more potential.  

Edited by Ororo Munroe

8 hours ago, ElsaRoc said:

That could be where the whole Jane Foster having cancer angle comes in (if they preserve that aspect of the storyline at all).  Imminent mortality, even someone else's, staring one in the face has a way of snapping things back into sharp relief.  There's certainly the potential there to pull the both of them back together in a way that doesn't come off as a one-sided affair, if Taika can thread that needle.