TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

4 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Good for Hemsworth, though, I don't know what he would do if Marvel decides to end the Thor character.

Remain a wealthy individual, spend more time with his wife and kids, and continue to do roles that interest him in smaller movies?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Good for Hemsworth, though, I don't know what he would do if Marvel decides to end the Thor character.

Half the reason this turnaround/priority is happening so quickly (even though there have been rumors for some time) is probably due to MiB's steep underperformance...and Trek not happening, either.  Going back to a sure thing (or what seems to be one) for both Hemsworth and Waititi is a no-brainer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Half the reason this turnaround/priority is happening so quickly (even though there have been rumors for some time) is probably due to MiB's steep underperformance...and Trek not happening, either.  Going back to a sure thing (or what seems to be one) for both Hemsworth and Waititi is a no-brainer. 

I don't disagree but wouldn't the turnaround/priority happen because it was always Marvel plan to make Thor 4? They don't strike me as a studio that makes movies on a whim, like, Oh Look, Thor and Valkyrie flopped in MIB. quckly, lets make Thor 4 cause we can get them for cheaper now. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't disagree but wouldn't the turnaround/priority happen because it was always Marvel plan to make Thor 4? They don't strike me as a studio that makes movies on a whim, like, Oh Look, Thor and Valkyrie flopped in MIB. quckly, lets make Thor 4 cause we can get them for cheaper now. 

True, but I now expect Marvel to be a little more free-thinking with their general trajectory and shake things up a bit, which I think we're already seeing with Shang-Chi fast-tracking, BW happening, Eternals, etc....both for creativity purposes, and simply because Feige caught on to the idea that if you announce too much too early in too formulated of a path, it impacts suspense in the audience a bit (but yes, I know the box office results still show nothing to complain about). 

• Like 1

I know I'm quite cordial and diplomatic most of the time. But, for lack of better words, I'm very disappointed. Pissed, perhaps. Akira is put on hold yet again (meaning they're not gonna get that tax credit thing they wanted), so that Hollywood can make a film that doesn't necessarily need to exist after the events of Avengers: Endgame. And it's not just Akira--I saw that somebody mentioned a Hulk Hogan film by Todd Phillips that's now in danger as well. I won't accuse Hemsworth of being the type of actor that goes for the money, but after his hand in sinking Star Trek IV due to that salary debacle, and after this, I have to say that I'm disappointed--not in Hemsworth himself, but in the colatteral damage that his pursuit of big paydays has caused on the industry. Hopefully Akira can still happen by 2023.

• Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I saw that somebody mentioned a Hulk Hogan film by Todd Phillips that's now in danger as well

I was joking, it might still happen but Hems' schedule's a lot tighter now if this shoots in 2020. If Hogan is meant to shoot in 2020 too, I could see him being forced to drop out due to scheduling conflicts?

• Like 1

@Slambros Hemsworth is contractually obliged to do MCU movies whenever they need him. So I don't think he had much choice except when he was making the choice to sign up for more movies. Considering that his career outside of MCu didn't flourish, it's guaranteed that he signed up for at least 3 more. I remember that Sebastian Stan signed up for 9. I don't know if Dsiney+ show is a new contract or old one encompassed all MCU media.

@Macleod Awesome, this was a surprise to be sure but a welcome one. :lol: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I know I'm quite cordial and diplomatic most of the time. But, for lack of better words, I'm very disappointed. Pissed, perhaps. Akira is put on hold yet again (meaning they're not gonna get that tax credit thing they wanted), so that Hollywood can make a film that doesn't necessarily need to exist after the events of Avengers: Endgame. And it's not just Akira--I saw that somebody mentioned a Hulk Hogan film by Todd Phillips that's now in danger as well. I won't accuse Hemsworth of being the type of actor that goes for the money, but after his hand in sinking Star Trek IV due to that salary debacle, and after this, I have to say that I'm disappointed--not in Hemsworth himself, but in the colatteral damage that his pursuit of big paydays has caused on the industry. Hopefully Akira can still happen by 2023.

Understood...but it's a financial reality, here.

Akira is, quite simply, a much, much greater risk both financially and creatively than "another Thor picture" right now.

Can you blame Waitititi/Hemsworth for following a surer thing?  And Hems surely has no attachment/personal loss for Akira...he had nothing to do with it. 

Hems is also not to be blamed for Trek 4 -- that's all on Paramount, who had an established contract that they reneged on. 

Everyone would like to see more creative, unique movies get made with big stars and directors...but it's also a business. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

@Slambros Hemsworth is contractually obliged to do MCU movies whenever they need him. So I don't think he had much choice except when he was making the choice to sign up for more movies. Considering that his career outside of MCu didn't flourish, it's guaranteed that he signed up for at least 3 more. I remember that Sebastian Stan signed up for 9. I don't know if Dsiney+ show is a new contract or old one encompassed all MCU media

Yeah, I'm probably being too hard on Hemsworth. In all honesty, I am frustrated about Akira.

• Like 1

Just now, Slambros said:

Yeah, I'm probably being too hard on Hemsworth. In all honesty, I am frustrated about Akira.

Come on, it was another live-action remake of a classic cartoon, not Blade Runner 2049.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Slambros said:

As it's fair to be...Warners has been spit-balling the thing for a decade or so already...nearly getting there numerous times, then pulling the plug at the last minute. 

• Like 1