TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

At last, my work is done.

Overshooting me on almost every OW and DOM and undershooting most of my OS. Interesting. Not sure I've seen anything thus far that would lead to 50% OW increases for a lot of these films. Increases sure, but I'd be careful of Frozen 2 Syndrome lol

22 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Overshooting me on almost every OW and DOM and undershooting most of my OS. Interesting. Not sure I've seen anything thus far that would lead to 50% OW increases for a lot of these films. Increases sure, but I'd be careful of Frozen 2 Syndrome lol

It’s possible that I am undershooiting OS, as I did these a bit casually. Many of your DOM:OS ratios seemed a bit high, but I didn’t consult a bunch of historical data. Doing so now, 4:9=30.7% DOM would be a franchise low for solos and matched only by Endgame itself.  

Admittedly that franchise low was Thor2 with 32%, but a Thor3 rebounded to 37%, so I feel fine with 34.6%. OTOH maybe things will reach a new level of OS heaviness post Endgame 🤷‍♂️  

The next dozen or so should all be a lot easier to predict after we’ve got the first 2,3,4 of ‘em, but I assume going essentially blind is most of the fun here in the first place 😛 

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Brave enough to keep Thor fat and smart enough to only do so if it serves the story #GodTaika

If keeping Thor fat is the way to bring back n00bmaster69 then I say it serves the story. 

Kidding aside, I wonder how the timeline will work, if this comes before GOTG3, then Thor must have split soon after he got with them. That’s quite sad, I was kinda looking forward to Asgardians of the Galaxy.

9 hours ago, Sam said:

If keeping Thor fat is the way to bring back n00bmaster69 then I say it serves the story. 

Kidding aside, I wonder how the timeline will work, if this comes before GOTG3, then Thor must have split soon after he got with them. That’s quite sad, I was kinda looking forward to Asgardians of the Galaxy.

Since this is all speculation, the way it goes in my head is we start the movie with the Guardians but at some point Thor finds out about Jane Foster being ill (in the comics during the Lady Thor arc she is diagnosed with cancer) and this brings Thor back to Earth. It would add a lot of gravity to the situation. After everything that happens, happens; I think he goes back to the Guardians. That leads in to GOTG3. Him not being a part of GOTG3 after the way Endgame finishes would be a let down lol

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

If it's a good one, it should crack $1B W/Wide. Growth from Thor $449M to DW $645M was 43.6% and from DW to Ragnarok $854M, 32%. 

Thor1->2 30 months, 1.21% growth per month, Avengers 1 in between

2->3 48 months, 0.58% growth per month, Avengers 2 in between 

Thor 3->4 48 months again, Avengers 3 and 4 in between 

With 1.21% monthly — 1.521B

1% — 1.376B 

.8% — 1.251B

.58% — 1.127B 

.4% — 1.034B

Middle 3 a decent high/middle/low for me.

• Astonished 2

On 12/28/2019 at 4:10 PM, Arendelle Legion said:

At last, my work is done.

Ehhh, heck. I’m cooped up in a cabin over the holidays with copious free time. Gonna make a 2nd pass on these with more detailed thoughts, might change numbers vs my first passes, might not.    

History of Thor Franchise (all ranks contemporaneous peak):  

OW 

Thor 1 66M, 55th

Thor 2 86M, 38th, +0.88% monthly

Thor 3 123M, 28th, +0.75% monthly

DOM

Thor 1  181M, 142nd

Thor 2 206M, 135th, +0.43% monthly

Thor 3 315M, 62nd, +0.89% monthly

OS

Thor 1 268M, ???

Thor 2 438M, 61st, +1.65% monthly

Thor 3 539M, 60th? +0.43% monthly

WW 

Thor 1 449M, 116th

Thor 2 645M, 73rd, +1.21% monthly

Thor 3 854M, 60th, +0.59% monthly 

The Thor franchise is actually rather interesting in that between the 1st and 2nd movie, DOM was essentially stagnant while OS showed big growth, but from the 2nd to 3rd the OS performance is essentially stagnant relative to the time period while DOM makes great gains. The overall result is a third sequence with an almost uncanny level of DOM/OS rank balance. As an absolute basement scenario, L&T should be able to match Ragnarok’s 28/62/60/60 performance profile. 

At present, those correspond to 141M OW, 335 DOM, 607 OS, 904 WW, but we’re only about halfway between 3 and 4. By the time it comes out that’ll probably be more like 150/350/640/950 or so.   

However, I think the conditions are right for this to do much better than level with Ragnarok. It reminds me of the situation that IM3 and CA 3 were in, which both showed significant improvement from their predecessors on all 4 fronts:

IM2 5/29/???/50 -> IM3 2/13/5/5

CA2 30/73/57/61 -> CA3 5/19/16/12

TWS was actually quite close to Ragnarok, but without the Avengers 2.5 nature, Love & Thunder won’t improve as much as Civil War did. 180/450/850/1.3 would translate to ranks of about 11/21/20/18 or so, seems reasonable enough. Monthly growth of .8%/.75%/.95%/.88% 

No change.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2