charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (7/16) Numbers

42 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yes in terms of $.

In real term, i.e. at same exchange rate for everything, Endgame will be 25% ahead.

I mean who will you call bigger grosser in India;

Jurassic World $20mn (₹130cr).

Adjusted for exchange rate; real term of gross of Avatar was $2.35 Bn Approx (i.e. $ 1.62 Bn overseas). Endgame will be $1.94 Billion.

I didn't want to be the one to do this but someone has to before we get into another shitstorm on here for nothing.

Yes, you are technically correct, exchange rates did favor one movie over the other, A LOT. But there are a lot more factors at play here that you're completely ignoring. Do you remember why the dollar was so low back then, and why exactly it was that year? The world (and especially the dollar in this case) was finally getting back to normal after the financial crisis. Buying power at the time was not great. So in comes this audacious thing in theaters that actually expects you to pay more to see it. And people did pay more to see it, despite buying power being significantly lower in late 2009, early 2010. That of course partially explains why it made so much more than anything else up to that point. Up until Cameron's famous 3D title the highest grossing movie of the 2000's was still Return of the King with $1.120 billion. Besides that only Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and The Dark Knight even made it past $1 billion between 2000 and 2009.

But you know what, we are in a box office forum so let's let the numbers speak for themselves.

In total the top 10 movies released in 2009 made $9128.6 billion worldwide. Top 10 right now in 2019 is $8936.9 billion, with 5 and a half months to go. I think that pretty much speaks for itself, wouldn't you say? Very different market conditions, and not just in one place but almost everywhere around the world.

My point is simple, you don't have to go out of your way like this to bring another film's accomplishments down just to raise another that simply doesn't even need that to begin with. I get there are more than a couple bad apples around here, but isn't it just easier to ignore them instead of trying to piss them off even more than they already are at this instant? I mean you have to realize you're putting wood on the flames now, right, and there's absolutely no need to do that. And if you want to simply present facts like those above in a conversations without stirring the pot, present them with an asterisk, maybe go something like "although it should be mentioned here that market conditions between 2009 and 2019 are very different, favoring significantly higher grosses now than then". 

You are held to a high regard here on this forum, and I get that you're an MCU fan, I am one too, but that means you need to be better with your words than most other users, especially when you know fanboy wars are so easily started.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I'm hoping crawl develop some really nice legs. I told every single one of my friends they need to be seeing that movie.

Kaya Scodelario is a bonus incentive to see it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Source? First time I’ve heard this.

I posted a link to a CNBC article with this "new" Avatar total. How do we know which is correct? Seems every other article comparing Endgame to Avatar uses the BOM number.

1 hour ago, Davidwested said:

Good increase. It will likely be close to 70 million if not on it after sunday after 4 weeks. Thats pretty solid

wrong image meant to be Annabelle :sparta:

I was so confused before I read that last part!😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:
    Movie Gross % Change Theaters Total Gross Days
1 (1) Spider-Man: Far From Home $8,825,000 +60% 4,634   $288,935,112

To put that number into perspective, it's higher than the FIRST Tuesday of Spider-Man 3, $4.3 million higher than the 2nd Tuesday of Spider-man, $3.4 million higher than Spider-Man 2 (which had a very similar release window).

Also more than The Amazing Spider-Man's first Tuesday ($8.6 million) and of course more than The Amazing Spider-Man 2's first Tuesday ($6.2 million, but that was in May).

And last but definitely not least $1.3 million more than Spider-Man: Homecoming! (and for those wondering it's more than twice Spider-Verse's first Tuesday)

So yeah, I'd call that a pretty damn great number!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

At my 16 screen theater Aladdin, Far from Home, EG, TLK and TS4 will occupy 13 of the 16 screens

lol... 

At mine on Friday: 

Lion King 26 showings, Toy Story 8, Aladdin only 1 (at 10am), Avengers 0. 

Spider Man is actually going down to one less showing than Toy Story, although it also looks like FFH will fall below TS4 this weekend at box office here in the UK.