Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

tumblr_mz5yv8YXA01rqs8gpo1_500.gif

Not sure if you think I missed sarcasm or are commenting on the fact that I often include a spoiler in my sarcastic posts that plays things straight.  

If the former, I knew it was sarcastic and was playing along+ribbing Deadline.  

If the latter, I’ve just had too many people on the internet take obviously sarcastic things I’ve said seriously. If I’m not in the mood for that kind of misunderstanding I just make it explicit and save myself the hassle.

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Not sure if you think I missed sarcasm or are commenting on the fact that I often include a spoiler in my sarcastic posts that plays things straight.  

If the former, I knew it was sarcastic and was playing along+ribbing Deadline.  

If the latter, I’ve just had too many people on the internet take obviously sarcastic things I’ve said seriously. If I’m not in the mood for that kind of misunderstanding I just make it explicit and save myself the hassle.

pumbaa-gif-152046.gif

@cannastop I know you're one of the TLK haters who infest the TLK thread to the point where that thread became so toxic. But what I don't understand is why are you gleeful in TLK's early numbers being very huge ($180M to $200M OW). Aren't you supposed to cry because this movie is overperforming the trades expectations, considering the time you've dedicated to this movie you hate so much and yet it will still open so huge.

5 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

What franchises are capable of carrying that though? Star Wars and Marvel have already played their biggest guns. 

batman and Harry Potter

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

What franchises are capable of carrying that though? Star Wars and Marvel have already played their biggest guns. 

I think Marvel still has an incredible amount of ammo left and are a favorite for the next 300M+.   

But it doesn’t matter if there’s anything right now that looks like an obvious candidate.   

In 2008 it was a good bet to say “200M will broken by the end of 2014” — but nobody would have called an Iron Man team up as the culprit.   

6 years is a huge time horizon, we can use historical trends to say that lots of things are highly likely without having a specific movie or franchise win mind yet.

At this rate the actuals for friday will be below 75m. May be just 50m true friday. I wonder how saturday will be. Kids movies dont increase that much on their 1st saturday in July. 10% at most I would say.

It eerily feels like Toys Story OW but that had really good WOM. let us see how things go for Lion King.

Even 170m OW is great provided it has a good run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a2k said:

Using 78 od,

63.25 (+15%)

50.6 (-20%)

= 191.85 ow

With a better Sat/Sun very much feasible 200 is still alive.

With a 55M true Friday need a 3.22 True IM. Would be shocking imo.

13 minutes ago, UserHN said:

@cannastop I know you're one of the TLK haters who infest the TLK thread to the point where that thread became so toxic. But what I don't understand is why are you gleeful in TLK's early numbers being very huge ($180M to $200M OW). Aren't you supposed to cry because this movie is overperforming the trades expectations, considering the time you've dedicated to this movie you hate so much and yet it will still open so huge.

I want to see this movie in IMAX, are you kidding?

I dunno. I mean I'd probably find a way to be obnoxious if kids liked the movie and it made over $200m OW too.

It's probably ending up below BatB. I'm a bit disappointed because I've enjoyed TLK much more..oh well. RT score won't help, so

~170-175 looks likely to me

• Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

TFA had the huge returning the original cast after 30 years and first SW film in 10 years. IW was the culmination of 10 years of buildup. And, like you said, those films were 20% away from $300M. To get even close to $300M you would need not just an event film but an event film with a huge X factor. Those types of films are rare. Outside of an Avengers film with similar build up to IW, I don't see it happening.

Nothing will top endgame for a long long time. But the $200m mark?

Again, with inflation and 3d factored in, Spider-man, Matrix Reloaded, Spider-man 2, Sith, Pirates 2, Spider-man 3, The Dark Knight, Transformers 2, Harry Potter 8, The Dark Knight Rises are ALL over the $200m mark

It will happen again no doubt

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Nothing will top endgame for a long long time. But the $200m mark?

Again, with inflation and 3d factored in, Spider-man, Matrix Reloaded, Spider-man 2, Sith, Pirates 2, Spider-man 3, The Dark Knight, Transformers 2, Harry Potter 8, The Dark Knight Rises are ALL over the $200m mark

It will happen again no doubt

The DC brand is much weaker than back then.