Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

Midsommar PTA increased from last weekend so it may still have enough juice in the tank to pass The Witch and Ex Machina to become a top 3 A24 release. Though The Farewell might kick it back out soon afterwards. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

So excited for Black Widow now though, that footage description sounds amazing. 

A PG13 Blade is like doing a PG13 Texas Chainsaw: No. 

I don't Blade is like Texas Chainsaw at all, for a couple reasons.... Texas Chainsaw is actually not that bloody. Most of the violence in it is suggested, not seen. It's scary more for its atmosphere than for its violence. There are already PG-13 movies that are way more gory and graphic than Texas Chainsaw is. The other reason is Blade (and I would say further most Marvel heroes) isn't inherently an r-rated character.... especially if you look to his comics. The reason he was R-rated in the first two movies is essentially down to David Goyer being the guy adapting him. 

It's kind of like how Deadpool "had" to be R-rated not because of the best Deadpool comics... all of which were really PG-13 at most... but because of the way other people adapted him to other mediums. "You know what would make deadpool awesome? If we let him say cusswords instead of bleeping them, and just sprayed gore everywhere instead of hinting at it." Suddenly fans...who know it all... are saying "Deadpool HAS to be r-rated!" 

I'm not even sure that MPAA ratings matter anymore anyway. Not since streaming makes everything available to everyone all the time. Who is actually checking for the ratings before they click something? But Blade will probably be PG-13.... and it'll be just fine. The closest you'll get to R-rated Blade will probably be that the one f-bomb rule the X-Men had will get transferred to him... 

Now if this movie doesn't have the Pump Panel remix in it... THAT will be a crime. 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Damn, I wanted those 200M

Disney’s Busy Weekend: ‘Lion King’ Rips Up July Record With $192M Following Marvel Slate Announcement, ‘Endgame’ Notching All-Time $2.8B B.O. Record

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-lion-king-weekend-box-office-july-records-1202648944/

The 8th biggest opening of all time. Where all the "what a flop" folks at?

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gotta admit when I opened this thread and checked the last few pages I was expecting Marvel discussion but not Richard Madden and the debate about whether he's a star or not being at the center of it all. :lol:

Ugh I’d let him allllll up in my center. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

I wonder what movie will Disney choose for their Labour Day re-expansion. Given EG is already #1 WW, Aladdin might be at 1B ww by then (and 400 dom is out of reach), TS4 may be above TS3 too (dom and probably ww) ... my bet is for TLK so it to gets as much as possible domestic. I hope TLK can leg it out to 650-700M (3.38-3.64 multipliers). 

17 minutes ago, cookie said:

Kinda crazy how much this collapsed not just DOM but internationally as well.

I think the craziness should go in the other direction... it was always very weird to me that it ever blew up at all... the first film's huge success always felt very very flukey to me. Seems like that's what it actually was.... a big fuzzy fluke of a win that probably wouldn't have happened in any other moment but that one. 

BTW I didn't get the trailer for Cats before my showing of The Lion King yesterday and that was the most disappointing part of the whole experience lol (movie was alright). I guess Universal decided Abominable would be a much much much less nightmare-ish choice to stick before it instead.

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

What a great time for movies! Maybe 25 years from now the next Lion King remake can pull another top 10 all-time opening weekend!

I'm looking at the top 10 and it's truly HORRIFYING. 

The only studio movie worth rooting for stars an alligator. That's how dire things are: the freshest, most exciting major studio release of the Summer is an alligator in the basement movie. 

Decades from now this will be seen and analyzed as such a dark time in film history. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 3

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I disagree. He’s always been more violent. Plus, it’s vampires. 

yeah I didn't read that Blade as going to be PG-13.  It was the only Marvel thing announced that i care about, the rest I will skip.  But now that Blade is PG13, I'm afraid they won't get that right now :(   

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The 8th biggest opening of all time. Where all the "what a flop" folks at?

2nd for non CBM/SW film

I can see 600+ in the horizon with 1.5-1.7 total with appropriate legs, can end up #7 or #6 of all time