Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The Lion King    53,110,000
Spider-Man: Far from Home    6,730,000
Toy Story 4    4,700,000
Crawl    1,920,000
Yesterday    1,510,000
Stuber    1,260,000
Aladdin (2019)    1,190,000
Annabelle Comes Home    790,000
Midsommar    490,000
The Secret Life of Pets 2    460,000
Avengers: Endgame    370,000
The Farewell    340,835

Very good hold for TLK. Beating the second Avengers movie on OW is no easy feat, even for the king.

On a side note, I've watched the movie a second time around and enjoyed it just as much. Whole theater was more than pleased with it, to say the least. Really can't understand why some of you guys and generally critics hate on TLK, while loving TJB. They're on the same level. Aladdin as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I see no reason why A2 won't clear 2B WW. Not do sure about 3B as some expect. It's gonna be a monster. One thing no can debate is that it will be one of most immersive films visually since Avatar. Another is the Disney marketing machine is a juggernaut. The last being holiday season to boost numbers.

• Like 6

First off, congrats to AE. Impressive achievement.

Second, it was obvious Disney was under-estimating Sunday, but even by their standards that's a really big under-estimate for TLK.

if the Friday and Saturday numbers hold and the Sunday from Charlie is accurate than that is only a 13% drop on Sunday. That would be a better hold than TS4's first Sunday.

I'll stick with my prediction from last week. if TLK's Sunday is over 50M it will have a 30M+ Tuesday. Was just looking a my fav theater for Tuesday. Pretty much every show from noon to 8 pm is down to just the 1st 2 rows or in some cases just front row seats left. Only the late night and early morning shows have significant seats left.

So I guess the most likely range right now would be 550-650. O/U I2 is probably the benchmark right now.

I did see it Sunday morning in IMAX with my family. The visuals truly are stunning. You might as well hand the visual effects Oscar to it now.  

Funny thing for me, we watched some of the original last night and I actually had a hard time watching the original. Going from the super photo-realistic new version to the animated version with the anthropomorphic animals and very vivid color palete was really jarring for me. Even with alot of the exact same dialogue it felt like a totally different movie.  I also thought the new Elton John song was better than the new Beyonce song.

The audience clapped at the end of the movie in my showing. My wife and son said the same thing happened at their showing on Friday.

Godo hold for FFH. I thought it might struggle to get to 20M this weekend. It could definitely leg out to 400M.

TS4 is locked for 400M at this point and could end up over TS3. It's up 12.5M on it at this point. 

Yday is having a great little run. It could end up close to 70M when all is said and done. Just a 24% drop this weekend.

Aladdin will get to over 350M. amazing run to follow this summer.

One last interesting note. Got 6 previews before the IMAX show. 5 were Disney related.

Mulan, M2, F2, TROS and Fox's Ad Astra. The only non Disney preview was Jumanji.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RamblinRed said:

First off, congrats to AE. Impressive achievement.

Second, it was obvious Disney was under-estimating Sunday, but even by their standards that's a really big under-estimate for TLK.

if the Friday and Saturday numbers hold and the Sunday from Charlie is accurate than that is only a 13% drop on Sunday. That would be a better hold than TS4's first Sunday.

I'll stick with my prediction from last week. if TLK's Sunday is over 50M it will have a 30M+ Tuesday. Was just looking a my fav theater for Tuesday. Pretty much every show from noon to 8 pm is down to just the 1st 2 rows or in some cases just front row seats left. Only the late night and early morning shows have significant seats left.

So I guess the most likely range right now would be 550-650. O/U I2 is probably the benchmark right now.

I did see it Sunday morning in IMAX with my family. The visuals truly are stunning. You might as well hand the visual effects Oscar to it now.  

Funny thing for me, we watched some of the original last night and I actually had a hard time watching the original. Going from the super photo-realistic new version to the animated version with the anthropomorphic animals and very vivid color palete was really jarring for me. Even with alot of the exact same dialogue it felt like a totally different movie.  I also thought the new Elton John song was better than the new Beyonce song.

The audience clapped at the end of the movie in my showing. My wife and son said the same thing happened at their showing on Friday.

Godo hold for FFH. I thought it might struggle to get to 20M this weekend. It could definitely leg out to 400M.

TS4 is locked for 400M at this point and could end up over TS3. It's up 12.5M on it at this point. 

Yday is having a great little run. It could end up close to 70M when all is said and done. Just a 24% drop this weekend.

Aladdin will get to over 350M. amazing run to follow this summer.

One last interesting note. Got 6 previews before the IMAX show. 5 were Disney related.

Mulan, M2, F2, TROS and Fox's Ad Astra. The only non Disney preview was Jumanji.

uh ? ffh made 21 million this weekend....

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I see no reason why A2 won't clear 2B WW. Not do sure about 3B as some expect. It's gonna be a monster. One thing no can debate is that it will be one of most immersive films visually since Avatar. Another is the Disney marketing machine is a juggernaut. The last being holiday season to boost numbers.

it will be a big box office grosser thats for sure, as for the visual i dont care that much, maybe the visuals will be the greatest thing ever, but if the movie doesnt have a new technology like avatar 1 , i dont think that it will affect its box office run like at all, 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Yes, this is true in a lot of instances.  If something like The Farewell didn't have the reviews it does, for example, then it wouldn't be having its huge PTA's.  Plenty of other examples like this.

i am talking about critic rating for big movie here, bc i dont believe for one sec that a big blockbuster movie if it has mixed reviews will lose 100 million ww

Edited by john2000

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

it will be a big box office grosser thats for sure, as for the visual i dont care that much, maybe the visuals will be the greatest thing ever, but if the movie doesnt have a new technology like avatar 1 , i dont think that it will affect its box office run like at all, 

I think OS, especially in the Asian markets, it will have a huge impact on admissions.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think OS, especially in the Asian markets, it will have a huge affect.

and in europe it will drop so ..... very much lets not forget that in many european countries and in australia avatar made 130-180 millions, and i dont expect avatar 2 too much something like this , at all, i think that you overestimating the asia markets, for the movie to even have a chance to hit 2,5-2,7 billions it needs to do gangbusters everywhere, and thats not guaranteed

Edited by john2000

10 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I do. A2 is going to be loaded with new characters. That could be a breath of fresh air...or not. Big riding is on these newbies. They are adorable af but not all kids casts are the Losers. Some tend to be annoying. So we'll see. 

So TLK has a Sunday hold that was better than TS4 first Sunday. Verified audience rating is strong at 4.48/5 (by comparison, Aladdin is 4.58) with over 27k votes. No competition coming any time soon in the family film market.

3x OW is looking good and it could see up to 3.5x

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

JW pages must be mostly due to pure shock factor. 

Still remember it was tracking upto 130-135 few days before release (from sites i read), and then BOOM..!!

I so wish to see that thread, can somebody find me that please? If it is still here.

30 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

The new Digital Fur Technology gets the fur right but ..... WHY, after 35 years of trying, can these CGI Geniuses STILL NOT GET FIRE RIGHT? 

Digital Fire still looks totally .... digital.  

You know, real fire doesn't look good.

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The nearest round off 5 or 0 on lower side for a conservative estimate.

What?

Confused because while 185 (TLK) or 350 (Endgame) end on a zero or a five while 192 (BP) doesn't and they always under predict (okay, not always, but mostly) and the others rarely do.

Edited by Taruseth

There is absolutely NO nostalgia attached to Avatar. None whatsoever. It was all visuals. If the visuals don't do anything above the last Avatar, then Avatar 2 won't do anything spectacular. As in the case of JW: FK, AOU, and TLJ, there will be a huge fall from the first one.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I would have preferred a re-release, but I guess this will do.

You know what so would I. However it's not a bad film and the original will never be forgotten. It's all good. It will be cool when they make combo sets with both. Maybe I will buy that.

Edited by cdsacken

28 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

The new Digital Fur Technology gets the fur right but ..... WHY, after 35 years of trying, can these CGI Geniuses STILL NOT GET FIRE RIGHT? 

Digital Fire still looks totally .... digital.  

maybe bc their are working their asses off, all day, have so many other projects to work on and this movie is full time cgi photorealistic animation ? just saying

some of you take cgi for granted but it isnt, no i dont work in a company like this, howerver this people are working very hard to give the best product possible,

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1