Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Cinderella is a fun one. Has 84% on RT, which is very impressive for a Disney live action remake.

It threads the needle between being slavishly dedicated to the original and completely reworking it. It's true to the spirit of the original, but builds on it, rather than trying to subvert it.

(I like the subversion in Maleficent, but it stumbles in the execution.)

7 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Little Mermaid, Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin and Lion King are sort of the core four Disney renaissance classics. BATB and Lion King will both have cleared a billion easily and Aladdin will get there despite bad initial marketing/publicity and a shitton of competition. Mermaid will surely get there unless the public revolts against these remakes suddenly. 

They won't.

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

The first two weekends after it had 45 million openers, for a movie that had a 90 million three day I would label that as pretty heavy competition, along with Toy Story 4. Yes, the other movies underperformed, but it still had a lot of other shit playing around it while Beauty and Lion King had basically open season. The main reason it's hitting a billion is because of insane domestic holds.

Did it, though? Logan and Kong: Skull Island made big money the two weeks before it.

Just now, filmlover said:

Did it, though? Logan and Kong: Skull Island made big money the two weeks before it.

To me, competition that comes after a movie is more meaningful than before it, unless you get a mega-opener like Black Panther or Endgame that just eats into everything else. Logan and Skull Island did well but didn't really rock the boat, both were sub-30 by the time Beauty opened.

11 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Little Mermaid, Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin and Lion King are sort of the core four Disney renaissance classics. BATB and Lion King will both have cleared a billion easily and Aladdin will get there despite bad initial marketing/publicity and a shitton of competition. Mermaid will surely get there unless the public revolts against these remakes suddenly. 

where is the competition? KotM? slop? MIB? DP?

5 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It does baffle me though that Cinderella couldn’t outgross Maleficent, in all regions...despite the former being a lot more well-received than the latter. How come? 🙍🏻‍♀️

Release date, probably. Also, Jolie is a much more recognizable star.

The five big Disney Renaissance will all clear 1B. B&B, The Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan and little Mermaid. I am slightly nervous for little mermaid but I think it will get there. 

Disney Renaissance has currently 100% 1B club with 3 members + Mulan joining them after couple of months then The little mermaid that will be in total five. 

Best-Songs-from-The-Disney-Renaissance-.

Edited by Geo1500
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

The five big Disney Renaissance will all clear 1B. B&B, The Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan and little Mermaid. I am slightly nervous for little mermaid but I think it will get there. 

Disney Renaissance has currently 100% 1B club with 3 members + Mulan joining them after couple of months then The little mermaid

Little Mermaid and Mulan won't have the main selling point of the other 3: nostalgia. Both will be big, but we will see if they are 1 billion kind of big.

Edited by CJohn

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Little Mermaid won't have the main selling point of the other 4: nostalgia. It will be big, but not 1 billion big.

I am nervous for that because they went away from the original with different casting and trying something new. I don't think it will pay off but I hope that I am proven wrong. I have no doubts over Mulan making to 1B

Edited by Geo1500

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Little Mermaid and Mulan won't have the main selling point of the other 3: nostalgia. Both will be big, but we will see if they are 1 billion kind of big.

Little Mermaid is considered just as important to Disney as Lion King/Beast/Aladdin are. It's gonna be huge.

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Mulan trailer had Reflection playing in the background. Little Mermaid probably gonna play Part of Your World in all the marketing. Disney knows what they're doing.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hot take, as far as Disney Renaissance animated films go, Tarzan is the best one

Counter-argument: Mulan features a duet from both 98 Degrees and Stevie Wonder. I love me some Philly Collins and NSYNC, but...come on.

• Like 1

Rocketman's gonna finish within a very short distance of $100M (doubt it has enough juice left unless they re-expand it) while Yesterday looks to reach $70M. Disney isn't the only the one turning nostalgia into box office success these days. Bodes well for that Aretha Franklin movie with Jennifer Hudson next year.

47 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I see the idea that one studio so totally dominant in the industry is not a good thing longterm seems to go right by your head.

....did I ever say it was a good thing? It's impressive and terrible at the same time. One existing doesn't make the other impossible to exist in the same body.

13 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Counter-argument: Mulan features a duet from both 98 Degrees and Stevie Wonder. I love me some Philly Collins and NSYNC, but...come on.

It's good, very 90s. But Tarzan feels both 90s and timeless at the same time

1 hour ago, Taruseth said:

Yep, definitely, but I was stupid so I placed it ahead WW too which is a lot less likely too happen, unless Germany suddenly decides, oh we never cared for TS3 were like 15m of the gross for it, now we suddenly like it more than every other movie. Okay that's not gonna happen, cause Germany (sucks box office wise).

I really hope that the legs throughout August are great.

You’re not alone lol