Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

23 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

You seem to only stan Disney and MCU movies so not surprised by that opinon.

Not everything is a question of "stanning" or whatever.... 

I agree with his take if only because I think at this point audiences for superhero films are a little more interested and intrigued by the promise of newer things, and newer takes on things. 

Batman is a series that has been around for a long time now, and "new takes on Batman" is not a unique or intriguing thing, really... If a new Batman is going to make a lot of money, it has to overcome the bad taste in everyone's mouth from Snyder's take, and decades of Bat-saturation....

Think of it this way: Batman Begins was a re-set and re-introduction of the character. A new take on the character that was essentially the first ever "real" take on the character from the comics.... and while it was a success, it wasn't a blowout success. Everyone didn't rush back all at once and give it 1989 money and attention... They waited until a very new, odd, and amazing take on Joker was placed against that Batman... and THEN it became a thing. 

This movie is going to have to show what it has to offer audiences that they can't readily get not just from previous Batman films, but from other superhero properties currently out there. Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Aquaman are trading on that novelty, and their quality as films is helping provide extra rewards... Batman is going to be a "wait and see" proposition now... although it speaks to Batman's ability to draw that even a "wait and see" new incarnation of Batman is likely going to make Homecoming numbers. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

You seem to only stan Disney and MCU movies so not surprised by that opinon.

Recently the position of "mostly Disney or MCU movies will crush it with huge BO numbers" isn't stanning so much as common sense.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@PDC1987 I do not believe Disney fudged anything, hence the laughter / sarcasm. As with all major films that open one can see how double features help other films from the same studio. Disney just this time happened to have 3 readily available for servicing. 

It is nice to see how it works. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

I'll believe it's happening when we get a trailer, until then I'll assume it's Vaporware like a decent chunk of the 'confirmed' DCEU movies.

In other news Disney's domestic % is 36.6%, WB + Universal + Sony are 36.9%, There's a pretty decent chance Disney will have a larger % than their combined totals by next Sunday.

Year ▼
Disney
Top 10
Total $
Disney
Top 10
Total %
2009 $293M 9.0%
2010 $950M 33.2%
2011 $433M 17.4%
2012 $861M 26.0%
2013 $1313M 41.4%
2014 $1057M 38.6%
2015 $1953M 48.8%
2016 $2132M 56.3%
2017 $1829M 48.1%
2018 $2204M 55.3%
2019* $2190M

69.2%

* results not final...most of The Lion King's domestic run and Frozen 2 and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker yet to come. :thinking:

distributor comparisons:

Spoiler
Top 30 Box Office Domestic Movies  
by distributor
Year ►
Rank ▼
1 F D W D L W D D D D D     Key – Total  
2 P D P W D L U D D D D   D Disney (other) 21
3 W P   L D D D D W D D   D Disney (Marvel Studios) 16
4     W S U D D U S U D   D Disney (Pixar) 11
5 D W D W W W U D D W S   D Disney (Animation Studios) 7
6 W W U L W W U F S F D   D Disney (Lucasfilm) 4
7 P U P S D P L D W U U   D Disney (Fox) 1
8 W P D D W D F W D P L     all Disney total 60
9 F P W U U F D W U D U   W Warner Bros. 65
10 W D P P D D S U W F U   U Universal 50
11 P S F U P F P D F W W   F Fox 47
12 F D P D D S U W U D W   P Paramount 44
13 F P D D P W F D D S D   S Sony 39
14 F W U S F S D F W D U   L Lionsgate 14
15 S S P   F P F U U S W     non-W/U/F/P/S/L studios 11
16 D U P F W P S P W P       all non-Disney total 270
17 U P F U S F U F F W W        
18 P   F U W F P F F D P        
19 S P S S W L U L D S F        
20 F P F F U U W F W W S        
21 D S P S S U W S D U L        
22 S S P W F F P W F W W        
23 W P W   P D L W U W D        
24 S W W F U U F W L W U        
25   F U U P F F   P P S        
26 D U P S S U D S U U W        
27 S F S F L F F F U W P        
28 U L S W P F U W S   P        
29 U W S U   W W P U S W        
30 P W U W W F D S P W L        
* 2019 results not final        
Note: Does not retroactively consider Fox
releases as Disney releases before
March 20, 2019.

Other studios that want to compete are going to have to figure out why they're not reaching a broader audience besides the reason that Disney created or purchased the most popular brands. I'd hoped stuff like TSLOP2 would've turned out better than its >50% drop (yikes) but It Chapter 2 and Jumanji:TNL will probably get hit with drops from their predecessors as well, just hopefully not as big. There just seems to be a downward pressure operating out there applied to anything not MCU and to a lesser extent Disney in general.

Buzzfeed News - Disney Won. Now What? (July 3, 2019)

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rthroar said:

Yes re Empire + Regal

There are around 10 30-plexs (Ontario Mills 30 + Palace 22, 52 screens total and they are pretty much across road from each other)

Burbank 30 is actually 3 separate complexes treated as  one. They are basically in the same shopping precinct two are across from each other(Burbank 16, Burbank Town Centre 6 & Burbank Town Centre 8 )

I live two miles from Ontario Mills. 52 screens is pretty crazy. I'm surprised that area gets so many screens and not somewhere in LA or NY.

7 hours ago, Rthroar said:

top playdates 21-Jul
All TLK

1-AMC Burbank 30
2-AMC Disney Springs, Orlando FL
3-AMC Lincoln Square 13 NYC
4-AMC Empire 25, NYC
(Combined with E-walk across the road #1)
5-El Capitan, Hollywood
6-AMC Garden State, Paramus NJ
7-AMC Aventura, FL
8-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA
9-AMC Orange 30
10-AMC Tysons Corner, Mclean VA
11-AMC Gulf Pointe 30, Houston TX
12-Regal Warren, Moore OK
13-CMX Dolphon, Miami FL
14-Regal Marq Stadium, Houston TX
15-Regal Kaufman Astoria , Brooklyn NY

Ontario Mills + Palace would rank #3

Top Canada
1-CPLX Queensway, Etobicoke ON, 2-CPLX Vaughan ON, 3-CPLX Yonge & Dundas, Toronto ON, 4-CPLX Winston Churchhill Oakville ON, 5-CPLX Courtney Park Mississaugh ON

No Irvine Spectrum? I'm surprised, we usually crack top 3-5 for Avengers/Star Wars. Definitely surprised AMC Orange is here but not us. Maybe it's because it's an older community here with less families.

Edited by Mekanos

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding here.  What I think @Alex SciChannel was talking about is sometimes early Monday morning there is an update to the Estimated Weekend Numbers before the Actual Weekend Numbers  come out.  Two to three hours before the actuals, IIRC.

You're correct.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Not everything is a question of "stanning" or whatever.... 

I agree with his take if only because I think at this point audiences for superhero films are a little more interested and intrigued by the promise of newer things, and newer takes on things. 

Batman is a series that has been around for a long time now, and "new takes on Batman" is not a unique or intriguing thing, really... If a new Batman is going to make a lot of money, it has to overcome the bad taste in everyone's mouth from Snyder's take, and decades of Bat-saturation....

Think of it this way: Batman Begins was a re-set and re-introduction of the character. A new take on the character that was essentially the first ever "real" take on the character from the comics.... and while it was a success, it wasn't a blowout success. Everyone didn't rush back all at once and give it 1989 money and attention... They waited until a very new, odd, and amazing take on Joker was placed against that Batman... and THEN it became a thing. 

This movie is going to have to show what it has to offer audiences that they can't readily get not just from previous Batman films, but from other superhero properties currently out there. Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Aquaman are trading on that novelty, and their quality as films is helping provide extra rewards... Batman is going to be a "wait and see" proposition now... although it speaks to Batman's ability to draw that even a "wait and see" new incarnation of Batman is likely going to make Homecoming numbers. 

I actually agree with this. I'm pretty big on Matt Reeves. His apes movies were better than most if not all MCU and DCEU/DC (they're fantastic). The franchise has broken the opening weekend record 4 times. Batman, like Spidey, is historically among the most popular comic book characters ever. The Batman's job isn't to break records; it's to get the character back in to the public's good graces (ala Nolan with Batman Begins). If Reeves' The Batman blows people away, I expect good to great legs and then the following sequel to explode, especially.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, xiazhi said:

The visuals are jaw-dropping. Every blinking is your loss.

The Lion King can be summed up with 2 quotes.

"Your people were so preoccupied to make a visually stunning movie, something really unbelievable, that they didn't stop to think it they should"

VS

"How can we stand in the light of discovery (Photorealistic CGI) and not act"

Personal preferences, i liked it so I'm with side of second quote, because I'm someone who think that for this movie, some of its shortcomings weren't due to less emotions of animals, it was something else.

27 minutes ago, jaybox said:

I actually agree with this. I'm pretty big on Matt Reeves. His apes movies were better than most if not all MCU and DCEU/DC (they're fantastic). The franchise has broken the opening weekend record 4 times. Batman, like Spidey, is historically among the most popular comic book characters ever. The Batman's job isn't to break records; it's to get the character back in to the public's good graces (ala Nolan with Batman Begins). If Reeves' The Batman blows people away, I expect good to great legs and then the following sequel to explode, especially.

I don't know why I didn't include it in my original response... I meant to and then I just... forgot, LOL. But another great example of this isn't even just Batman. It's Spider-Man! Spider-Man showing up in Civil War was a fun reintroduction, but a lot of people maybe don't remember so clearly now how much of the discussion around Homecoming focused on the fact this was the third live action re-imagining of the character to hit screens in 10 years... And the novelty of it wasn't even really "What is this take on Spider-Man now!" but "What will MARVEL do with Spider-Man now!" It made a lot of money, and was well-liked... but Far From Home is where that appreciation really kicked in. 

It could also be argued that Far From Home is benefitting from being seen as the Endgame epilogue... which is also a pretty novel thing for a superhero movie to be... but the point stands that suggesting Matt Reeves' Batman might only do Homecoming numbers isn't an egregious act of "stanning" or whatever, it's a decent observation that superheroes who have been around a LOT and have been reinterpreted many times over many decades in film will need a little extra to convince people this new one is worth going to.... they'll still be popular, nobody's saying they won't... but just shouting BATMAN!! off a rooftop and expecting box-office records to drop isn't reality. 

14 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Ugh. Lion King was pretty flat. Crowd seemed engaged throughout though.

My biggest issue was the nonmusical scenes. Kinda stunk and several are great in the animated version.