Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

Disney to have 4 $200M OW in just one year? ( EG ,TLK ,F2 ,TROS )

Right now there are only 6 titles who has been able to breached past the milestone in the history of box office ( outside this year ) let alone 4 in the same year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Right now there are only 6 titles who has been able to breached past the milestone in the history of box office ( outside this year ) let alone 4 in the same year.

I do think Frozen II has a slight chance at beating Incredibles 2 for the animation OW record but let’s hold back a bit on the $200M talk.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, superduperm said:

I do think Frozen II has a slight chance at beating Incredibles 2 for the animation OW record but let’s hold back a bit on the $200M talk.

Maybe avatar 5 if it's ever made? Hopefully no 12 year gap on between every film. Many don't even know a sequel is coming.

5 minutes ago, Claudio said:

I expect Frozen to open big but I’d be shocked if it was over $200m. Disney will still have 3 over the mark, though.

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Hope someone makes a box office countdown for TLK over JW. I think JW1 is the movie that TLK reminds me of in terms of box office.

maxresdefault.jpg

Now, Now, Jurassic World was a monster, a real monster.

I know I'm going to trigger lot of people here but Jurassic World was the Spinosaurus and the Box Office was the T-Rex. 

And now that really big movies have beaten it, still it is biggest surprise among all. TLK beating it won't be a surprise. Is there any movie close to Box Office surprise in positive way like JW in recent history.

BP was in domestic, what about WW? Maybe BatB? Anything else?

So the BOT roller coaster starts again.

After exceeding early expectations we'll see huge upward swings in projections without alot of data yet. Then tomorrow morning when actuals are a little lower everyone will lose their minds and pull everything back and think its going to be a disappointment and then by mid-day Sunday the final estimate is somewhere in-between the 2.

One little note as far as audience scores. it's obviously running a little behind FFH, Aladdin and TS4 in terms of audience rating on RT.

It is currently at an 89%/4.5 verified (the all audience has risen up to 83% and 4.27 - so they will likely stabilize in the upper 80's).

The current closest comp for that right now would be Yesterday which is at 89%/4.32, 88%/4.27 all audience. Yday is even 63% RT vs 55% for TLK. So in terms of legs that might be a good one to look at. Yday is already over 3x multiple, so i'd be surprised if TLK doesn't do at least a 3x multiple off of its opening weekend.

Last note. Only one movie that has had an OW weekend over 180M has made less than 600M DOM - Ultron 459M.

I don't understand this joke about Black Panther being a Lion King movie. Where did this come from? Any similarities are very superficial. "They both have Kings and take place in Africa" 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well this isn't live action, and they're really going to have to dig deep in their catalog for "live action" remakes before long.

Not really. Loads coming. Little mermaid will make billion+ as well.

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I don't understand this joke about Black Panther being a Lion ing movie. Where did this come from? Any similarities are very superficial. "They both have Kings" 

Both set in Africa. Father is killed and the son is a reluctant heir to the throne. Family member wants to usurp power and conquer new lands. Etc etc 

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 3

The one good thing about TLK 2019 (I’ve come to peace with this succeeding and at least theaters are being kept alive) is that they don’t have anything else big except for Stitch, TLM, and Mulan. Pixar likely won’t let them touch their stuff and if they did it won’t be until a good 10 years to capitalize on nostalgia.

Stuff like the 2000s films won’t be big at all unless they went different routes, Hercules/Tarzan/Hunchback would do around Maleficent numbers at best, and they can’t use the 2010s until the 2030s and even then some of them won’t work at all like Zootopia for instance. Sure they can try sequels but the only one I think can really work is Aladdin but even then it’s a one trick pony. Aside from that nostalgia won’t help the others.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

Both set in Africa. Father dies and the son is a reluctant heir to the throne. Family member wants to usurp power and conquer new lands. Etc etc 

Don’t forget conversation with dead father who’s in spirit form, and the women of the kingdom rushing in to stop the dictator.

• Like 1