Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's an interesting under 12 kid score, especially considering that was the uber-fan opening night...that might be a huge player in legs, b/c if kids don't like it, families won't bother seeing it...

I mean I still don’t see under $600M. But it may be closer to $600M than $700M only because even though Dora and Angry Birds are weak they’re still options for kids. Especially under 12.

Though we are jumping to conclusions. I am taking my 9 year old little cousin to see this tonight (guys I showed him the Cats trailer and the first thing he asked if it was real cause it must be a joke) as I’m curious of his reaction.

1 minute ago, ElsaRoc said:

IIRC, Mathew Broderick thought he was playing Kimba at first. 

The presence or lack of specific elements doesn't mean there wasn't something hinky going on. TLK was a single movie, while Kimba had three manga volumes and 52 TV eps. 

Plus another 52 that aired in 89-90 in Japan. While it was deffo a different time for anime exposure and knowledge, people in the industry would be more likely to be familiar. And anime was already getting hugely popular. 95 was the same year as the Ghost in the Shell movie. 

Disney artists were also familiar with the works of Hayao Miyazaki in the early 90s. I heard about Glen Keane teaching about Kiki's Delivery Service or something like that.

Jerry Beck, friend to everyone in the Los Angeles animation industry, was pushing hard for Otomo's Akira and for Studio Ghibli at the same time.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I mean I still don’t see under $600M. But it may be closer to $600M than $700M only because even though Dora and Angry Birds are weak they’re still options for kids. Especially under 12.

Though we are jumping to conclusions. I am taking my 9 year old little cousin to see this tonight (guys I showed him the Cats trailer and the first thing he asked if it was real cause it must be a joke) as I’m curious of his reaction.

your range 600-700 seems about right as of now

Just now, cdsacken said:

Several we're praying for it and some actually thought it. I thought sub 600 was possible

Moviemann was the only one who I remember who said under $450M. Look at the Summer Game for proof of people disliking t but putting in big numbers

Hell I’m against but I said a few weeks ago it wasn’t going under $200M OW and even said $300M OW was possible.

Just now, cdsacken said:

Several we're praying for it and some actually thought it. I thought sub 600 was possible

I think it’s still possible if actuals come in “low” (sub-210) and legs are just slightly worse than Beast but sub-550 is for sure dead.

54 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Both set in Africa. Father is killed and the son is a reluctant heir to the throne. Family member wants to usurp power and conquer new lands. Etc etc 

Yes, are people that (insert word here) to nit pick up on the obvious similarities??

Fuck even my square mom said she grew up with Speed Racer. And lots of contemporary reviews of Akira and Princess Mononoke said something along the lines of "weird to see Speed-Racer like characters committing violence".

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Every time I see this, I cringe MOJO's failure to account for 3D share is crazy

This is an issue for eating sting admissions, but I don’t see how it applies to trying to account for ticket price inflation. Movies with more 3D share made more money.

My mom didn’t grow up on cartoons or doesn’t care for animation due to the fact that she grew up in Barbados where TV wasn’t as big in the 70s/80s as it was for the US.

My mom never had any problem with going to the movies. It’s my dad who was essentially dragged. He had a good time, but there were things like how he’d insist on the aisle seat in case he needed to go to the bathroom or whatever. And especially as he gets older, he just does not want to go to the theater. I can only name a handful of times that he accompanied me to the movies without my mom also being there.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Moviemann was the only one who I remember who said under $450M. Look at the Summer Game for proof of people disliking t but putting in big numbers

Hell I’m against but I said a few weeks ago it wasn’t going under $200M OW and even said $300M OW was possible.

I can go back but I assume several thought sub 150 and others weren't sure but we're praying for it. 

I'll never understand that. It's like Avatar 2. The trolls would be relentless but I hope we see 3B.