Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Or maybe, Disney saw the word Kimba and replaced the K with an S!

but several other characters have swahili names in Lion King. I find it believable they wanted to name their main character after the Swahili word for Lion. I'm not saying they weren't inspired by Tezuka's work at all but idk if they saw the name Kimba and were like "let's change it to an S" 

I think it's more likely they came up with basis of the idea themselves but they didn't have that much experience with animation and animals/lions so animators use Tezuka's work for reference which why some of it looks so similar. l

Edited by ban1o

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Disney is not to blame for this though, the general audience who want to see their childhood movies remade in live action are. it doesn't matter if the films are great or not as long as there's an audience to see them. blockbuster filmmaking is a primarily a business first, art second. So look how much money the last 2 Disney remakes have done and try to tell the shareholder investors that they've made a bad investment. 

Yep, why won't they make a sequel that makes nothing and hurts the box office? I'd rather they stay open and produce the money makers giving whatever they have left to the tiny budget films.

I still want those made as well. White Crow was a wonderful 9m budget film like Chef. Tiny demographic and a great film but one needs to be realistic with just how much resources can be allocated to those. 

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Disney is not to blame for this though, the general audience who want to see their childhood movies remade in live action are. it doesn't matter if the films are great or not as long as there's an audience to see them. blockbuster filmmaking is a primarily a business first, art second. So look how much money the last 2 Disney remakes have done and try to tell the shareholder investors that they've made a bad investment. 

This is also true, sadly. It's pretty much impossible to think of a new idea that could bring people to cinemas like Comic Book movies or remakes can.

Animated features are like, the only place where from scratch stories can be told in a way that reach a wide audience.

Just now, cannastop said:

This is also true, sadly. It's pretty much impossible to think of a new idea that could bring people to cinemas like Comic Book movies or remakes can.

Animated features are like, the only place where from scratch stories can be told in a way that reach a wide audience.

If you want resources look to 2020. Disney revenue will fall like 50% and budgets will as well. Hopefully we see a ton of small successful independent films next year because 2021 will be bloated again.

53 minutes ago, Rthhome said:

Couple hours ago I  was thinking TLK 78-82, went with 80m which I think seems to be where others are thinking atm., see how it goes into evening Pre-sales is always a big factor

So 195-200 OW

As long as it's above 200M it's good

Edited by Permanent Magnet

Yeah I'm kinda tired of people viewing Disney as some evil empire for making live action remakes when they make so much money. Like why wouldn't they make them? THere's obviously an audience for them because people are seeing them. however I do think Disney should have spread them out a little bit. 3 in the span of a few month is ridiculous lol. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

Good Lord. It’s like no one on the last 5 pages read the thread rules on the first page. I also find it ironic that some older forum members who frequently complain about new members poisoning threads are so bent on making this one hell. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Yeah I'm kinda tired of people viewing Disney as some evil empire for making live action remakes when they make so much money. Like why wouldn't they make them? THere's obviously an audience for them because people are seeing them. however I do think Disney should have spread them out a little bit. 3 in the span of a few month is ridiculous lol. 

Indeed. Personally I would love to see new takes on films so kids can enjoy them. Isn't that a big reason for cinema in the first place? To have a good time, see something come to life on the big screen? I just don't get it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ban1o said:

Yeah I'm kinda tired of people viewing Disney as some evil empire for making live action remakes when they make so much money. Like why wouldn't they make them?

This. Especially when they've already capitalized the hell out of these properties over the years through various other means (theme parks, DTV sequels, TV shows, Broadway, merchandise, you name it).

3 minutes ago, ban1o said:

but several other characters have swahili names in Lion King. I find it believable they wanted to name their main character after the Swahili word for Lion. I'm not saying they weren't inspired by Tezuka's work at all but idk if they saw the name Kimba and were like "let's change it to an S" 

I think it's more likely they came up with idea themselves but they didn't have that much experience with animation and animals/lions so animators use Tezuka's work for reference which why some of it looks so similar. 

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say. I believe Kimba's name might have been inspired by the Swahili word for Lion, but maybe Tezuka changed so that it would roll of the tongue I guess?

The original idea for The LIon King supposedly came in 1988, when Jeffrey Katzenberg, Roy E. Disney and Peter Schneider had a conversation on a plane. I think Katzenberg and Schneider might have been a little too old for Kimba when it aired, and Roy E. Disney was older than them. Tezuka's work probably didn't come up.

Now, lots of people knew of Tezuka's word, even before anime became popular. Things like Astro Boy and Kimba, for example. Anyways,  I think that the two directors of The Lion King, Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff were not telling the truth that they never heard of Kimba the white lion. Tom Sito and Mark Kausler said they knew of Tezuka's Kimba, but Bambi was more often mentioned at work than Kimba.

Also Disney's artists did go on those vaunted research trips to study African animals, And animals were brought into the studio. Not sure who you're saying "didn't have that much experience with animation" because that's not any of Disney's artists.

As an aside, I wonder what George Scribner's The Lion King would have looked like. I don't think it was a musical at that time.

All together now: Success. Breeds. Contempt!

Anyway, the argument is pointless because I'm sure after this year Disney knows it has to come up with some new ideas. Marvel and Star Wars will continue to be the backbone of their business plan (and give me one good reason why it wouldn't be!) but they only have one classic fairy tale left to do in live action - The Little Mermaid - and Pixar and WDAS sequels are all out of the way (except Zootopia 2 if they're doing that). 2019 is a peak money making year for them and they know it.

12 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I don't think they have a long term strategy at all. It''s just an oil boom to them.

Edited by cannastop

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I don't think they have a long term strategy at all.

and which studio does? they're just making movies that they think will turn in profit. once they run out of remakes, they'll find something else.

also they just got X-Men/F4 rights from buying Fox few months ago which also came with the Avatar movies. and those 3 IPs will surely be hits.