Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

I know I'm gonna get yelled at for saying a massive opening is disappointing and yada yada yada, but the fact that previews are looking more like 20m than 30m and the OW looking to be a fight for over 180 potentially would not be great. I'll own up - since the day this was announced, I was saying 200+ was probably a lock in Clay's book, and 220 was possible. Now not even close to sure. The Lion King has so, so much more cache  and iconic stature than BATB, and so opening under it, during the summer, would sure be weird and inexplicable. 

29 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I know I'm gonna get yelled at for saying a massive opening is disappointing and yada yada yada, but the fact that previews are looking more like 20m than 30m and the OW looking to be a fight for over 180 potentially would not be great. I'll own up - since the day this was announced, I was saying 200+ was probably a lock in Clay's book, and 220 was possible. Now not even close to sure. The Lion King has so, so much more cache  and iconic stature than BATB, and so opening under it, during the summer, would sure be weird and inexplicable. 

isn't summer supposed to have weaker weekends?

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Except explained by literally dozens of factors I and others have brought up for over a year...

• Like 2

Also people overpredict and underpredict all the time. Who cares. Half the fun of the box office is when shit goes in ways we don't expect, good or bad. 

Nobody is going to hold your feet to the fire for saying a year ago that Lion King would open to TFA numbers. None of us have anything on the line here.

Except Baumer's epic 1.1B club I guess.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

As I was doing my final check at my theater, I noticed Fandango has TLK's audience score at 100% lol. Could be a glitch.

Not a glitch.
It's currently 100% on RT.com as well, with 8 verified votes :D 

• Haha 1