Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

19 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

It sure as shit isn't gonna be Batman lol. 

Pattinson generated over 260k tweets in first hour of casting. Comment is not intelligent 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

out of everything that's currently announced I don't see any non-CBM/SW film that could open above 200M (other than TLK or Frozen2) maybe saying next decade was an exaggeration, so maybe in the next 5 years? 

We don’t really even have a 2021 slate yet, you can’t measure hype this far out

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Second, when I said I was expecting low to mid 500s for a while now, that's because I baked in an uncertain feeling about this film into my projections.  I've said in multiple threads that there was something I couldn't quite place that was bothering me about this film (and, no it wasn't about emotions).  I think I've finally twigged what it is, but that isn't germane to this post (still not about emotions, FWIW).

Man just gnawing at your soul huh.

I bet two or fewer years in the 2020s miss having multiple 200M+ OWs.   

@mods, is that something a club could be made for? Obviously the scope is much larger than one year in the future but it isn’t about any particular year and would start being relevant in 5 months.

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Must have forgotten Twitter decides the box office.

true social media is worthless thanks for the reminder 

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

first one opened to like 73M so I don't see the sequel tripling the OW. besides it wasn't that beloved anyway other than outdated visuals. 

Nah. It has much much much hype for its visual aspect and the highest grossing movie all time. Those two already can confirm more than $200M, maybe closed to $300M.

• Haha 4
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

I mean, it’ll be less than 2/3rds of #1. It’s not like a 1.4 vs 1.5 “#2 of the year” situation.

man who cares. The Lion King was going to do a billon DOM or it wasn't. Looking like it's not now.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Molek said:

Ok, now I'm interested

Sorry for taking time to respond, had to find the post where my thoughts got crystalized.

===

At the risk of drifting off topic, in all the clips I saw of the movie, there was something a little off about it.  Something I just couldn't quite place.

But it was a tweet I saw raving about the direction and framing of shots in the original TLK that crystalized some of what I was feeling.  Here's what I said in the TLK thread at the time:

On 7/11/2019 at 1:28 PM, Porthos said:

I might go ahead and wade through the carnage of the last 20 pages, but I saw something last night that I thought put a bit of a different spin on the whole emotion angle which had already been beaten to death.  And I thought it might be interesting to post it as it's bringing a new angle to the debate:

Here she's not talking about the emotion in the faces per se but the emotions and the feelings generated by the direction itself.  The way the shots are staged.  The way camera focuses on the characters.  All sorts of things outside of the "are the animals smiling enough" storm.

Something to chew on at least I think when it comes to how the general audience might react to the film.

That covers a lot of what I thought.  There is a bit more, but I don't want to oversell my thoughts here.  After all, I still think this will clear 500m with ease and that many/most people watching the film won't even notice what I am talking about here.

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I bet two or fewer years in the 2020s miss having multiple 200M+ OWs.   

@mods, is that something a club could be made for? Obviously the scope is much larger than one year in the future but it isn’t about any particular year and would start being relevant in 5 months.

do you mean at least a year or "few" miss having multiple 200M OWs in the same year? I'm probably just misunderstanding ur club :l 

52 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Endgame’s OW spoiled us. After a $357M OW people are starting to think $200M OW is something that should happen once in awhile, even if it’s not very realistic.

41 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I've been thinking of mentioning this.

This is pretty real. 185M would be a huge opening weekend, #9 all-time... but it’s also less than 20% above an OD that we had just 3 months ago. It was surreal. I think it mauled people’s sense of proportions and they’re still recovering to some degree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

This is pretty real. 185M would be a huge opening weekend, #9 all-time... but it’s also less than 20% above an OD that we had just 3 months ago. It was surreal. I think it mauled people’s sense of proportions and they’re still recovering to some degree.

People have been expecting 200 for Lion King since before Endgame even had a title though. 

I think people forget how difficult it is still to achieve a $200M+ opening. Of the 7 so far, only one wasn't an MCU movie or Star Wars sequel. Then again, I guess Jurassic World's overperformance was just an anomaly that only comes once in a blue moon.

• Like 3