Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

do you mean at least a year or "few" miss having multiple 200M OWs in the same year? I'm probably just misunderstanding ur club :l 

There will be 10 years in the 2020s, 2020-2029. The club would be that 8 or more of those years have 2 or more 200M+ OWs.

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

This is pretty real. 185M would be a huge opening weekend, #9 all-time... but it’s also less than 20% above an OD that we had just 3 months ago. It was surreal. I think it mauled people’s sense of proportions and they’re still recovering to some degree.

Yea Endgame really skewed things to a level we haven’t seen in literally decades. Totally rewrote what “hype” means when it comes to a film. 

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

People have been expecting 200 for Lion King since before Endgame even had a title though. 

Yeah, it's something that a lot of people have been taking for granted ever since BATB's opening. 

Beauty and the Beast rode the perfect wave of hype from the moment they announced Watson was gonna be Belle that didn't let up through release. It's hard for lightning to strike to twice (although I suppose Aladdin has done that considering the pre-release buzz).

Just puts into perspective how much Endgame overperformed. People were afraid to say Infinity War would outopen Force Awakens until that monster Saturday. The idea that the sequel would then top it by one hundred million was unthinkable. I think we take for granted that gargantuan opening. It was an anomaly and I personally doubt we see another 300 opener in the next decade.

Then again, a lot can happen in a decade... such as the MCU.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

There will be 10 years in the 2020s, 2020-2029. The club would be that 8 or more of those years have 2 or more 200M+ OWs.

oh that would be very bold but I don't see it happening. 2020 will already miss it for sure, Guardians 3 could've had a shot at 200M if it didn't move.

(you're talking about 200M OW for single films right correct? not the sum of an entire weekend :ph34r:)

Even if Lion King misses $200M this weekend I wouldn't rule out solid legs in the long run for a total well over $500M. Audiences seem to be responding to it well so far (A CinemaScore) and competition is gonna be light for a while (the entire second half of August looks to be especially deadly).

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Just puts into perspective how much Endgame overperformed. People were afraid to say Infinity War would outopen Force Awakens until that monster Saturday. The idea that the sequel would then top it by one hundred million was unthinkable. I think we take for granted that gargantuan opening. It was an anomaly and I personally doubt we see another 300 opener in the next decade.

Then again, a lot can happen in a decade... such as the MCU.

I think people also took 2 billion for granted too. The 3 movies that did it this decade were truly something special.

• Like 1

Just now, infamous5445 said:

I think people also took 2 billion for granted too. The 3 movies that did it this decade were truly something special.

Yeah, I never expected 2 billion for this. My expectation was roughly Jurassic World, 1.7B until the China numbers started rolling in. 

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

oh that would be very bold but I don't see it happening. 2020 will already miss it for sure, Guardians 3 could've had a shot at 200M if it didn't move.

(you're talking about 200M OW for single films right correct? not the sum of an entire weekend :ph34r:)

Clubs are supposed to be bold :)     

Yeah, for a single film. I do consider 2020 a lost cause, I was actually going to make it one or fewer miss years but I remember that 2020 was in the 2020s right before posting.   

Basically my logic is something like:  

2020 RIP

2021 enough marvel sequels to get there

2022 enough marvel sequels to get there  

2023 Avengers+random  

2024+ #blessInflation    

Edited by Thanos Legion

Based on AUS/NZ numbers I was expecting this to be well into the 200s domestically. It does kind of look like OS is performing stronger than domestic right now?

I mean BatB is getting crushed OS yet this will only be a bit above it domestically, and it performed somewhat similarly in those markets.