Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

All this talk about, “It’s still doing great!”

But I can’t help but think, could it have done better if the kids had liked it? 🤔 

“Disney left money on the table by making a soulless movie that kids don’t like.”  

Spoiler

Please no one take this seriously. Please please pretty please. I will lose my faith in humanity.

That opening day multi is......something else for a family film, to put it mildly. GREAT number in a vacuum but I would expect that kind of multi for a fan driven film.

Again, the rate that presales are growing is inane. It's hard for us box office fans to keep up with.

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

For one, this:

I will settle for 81M for the time being but lets just say it did 76-78 it's still not out of the 200M OW. I Geninuely believe the actuals will come in higher

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

It was an anomaly and I personally doubt we see another 300 opener in the next decade.

If we don’t get another 300M+ by 2025 it’s because cinema has been seriously wounded by streaming.   

Endgame is out of this world bonkers, but IW and TFA are “reasonable” and 300M is just 20% away from them or so. The OW record advances by 20% every 4 years or so by a combination of inflation and an increasing frontloaded fandom/moviegoing culture.

Edited by Thanos Legion

11 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

“Disney left money on the table by making a soulless movie that kids don’t like.”  

Reveal hidden contents

Why not take it seriously, everything you said is true!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

I will settle for 81M for the time being but lets just say it did 76-78 it's still not out of the 200M OW. I Geninuely believe the actuals will come in higher due to walk ups

haha why on earth would you think that?

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

If we don’t get another 300M+ by 2025 it’s because cinema has been seriously wounded by streaming.   

Endgame is out of this world bonkers, but IW and TFA are “reasonable” and 300M is just 20% away from them or so. The OW record advances by 20% every 4 years or so by a combination of inflation and an increasing frontloaded fandom/moviegoing culture.

TFA had the huge returning the original cast after 30 years and first SW film in 10 years. IW was the culmination of 10 years of buildup. And, like you said, those films were 20% away from $300M. To get even close to $300M you would need not just an event film but an event film with a huge X factor. Those types of films are rare. Outside of an Avengers film with similar build up to IW, I don't see it happening.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_mz5yv8YXA01rqs8gpo1_500.gif

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

@Porthos, if RTH's latest estimate stands, what's your take on that internal multi? Yet again new territory for presales, where even a family film is fairly front loaded?

I suck at forecasting internal multis. ;)

I will say I've been expecting a lower than "normal" one for a family film simply because the higher the preview, the lower the multi.  Also, as the tracking thread has said a lot, there were a shit ton of showings everywhere for Thr.  That had to cut into demand a bit.

But there also a shitton for FSS, so... Dunno. Not my area of expertise. :lol:

Where I'm more curious is the legs past the OW.  With so many shows between Thr to Discount Tuesday, I wonder how much upfront demand will be met.

On the other hand, there may simply be no rush to this film given it's a known quantity with practically no fear of spoilers.  Folks have plenty of time to see it at their leisure.  Especially since there isn't much big on the horizon.  

Don't think I'll have a good handle on this for a while. 

2 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

TFA had the huge returning the original cast after 30 years and first SW film in 10 years. IW was the culmination of 10 years of buildup. And, like you said, those films were 20% away from $300M. To get even close to $300M you would need not just an event film but an event film with a huge X factor. Those types of films are rare. Outside of an Avengers film with similar build up to IW, I don't see it happening.

There will be mega-event films in the next half dozen years, and they’ll probably hit 300M. If everything misses it would be a huge bucking of historical trends and a cause for concern.

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

There will be mega-event films in the next half dozen years, and they’ll probably hit 300M. If everything misses it would be a huge bucking of historical trends and a cause for concern.

What franchises are capable of carrying that though? Star Wars and Marvel have already played their biggest guns.