Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The absurd TLK predicts were insufferable because they had no basis in real world hype. They were merely people saying that because the original is the most successful animated film of all time, that meant the remake would be one of the most successful movies of all time. Not how it works. Especially irritating was all the “it’s the biggest broadway production ever!!” arguments. What on earth does that have to do with a remade film’s box office? 

I mean, it's fair to say there was a lot of real world hype. It's just people have limited means of accurately gauging it, which they may be even less inclined to use if they're stanning the movie.

20 minutes ago, TMP said:

I enjoyed CATS - Official Trailer [HD] more than any movie trailer in my life and I've seen at least 1000+ film trailers.  I would think you value diversity of OPINIONS.

Ok hope you like it? 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The absurd TLK predicts were insufferable because they had no basis in real world hype. They were merely people saying that because the original is the most successful animated film of all time, that meant the remake would be one of the most successful movies of all time. Not how it works. Especially irritating was all the “it’s the biggest broadway production ever!!” arguments. What on earth does that have to do with a remade film’s box office? 

I'm sure if I dug into your post history I could find all sort of bullshit predictions. Who cares? If you're right you get to be right. There's no reason to make the discussion actively unpleasant because you're waving your dick around that a studio is making slightly less millions of dollars than commonly expected. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Or maybe I just think The Lion King is a terrible movie that does next to nothing right?  It's not even like there's a huge discrepancy in quality between Hellboy and The Lion King, Hellboy is better by a hair.  But I have very little positive things to say about The Lion King.  At the very least with Hellboy, there were one or two scenes I thought were mildly entertaining even if the rest of the movie was a complete fucking trainwreck.  With The Lion King, I can't even say I was entertained at all.  I was bored out of my fucking mind.

Not sure why you went and saw it tbh . 

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Audiences don't know what they want. They can only choose what they want out of what they see in front of them, and when those options largely if not entirely consist of corporate brand extensions, that's what the audiences are going to support, because they're actively not being encouraged to seek out anything different. It's a self-perpetuating vicious cycle and an essential cultural problem when you get down to it. 

Pretty much. It's great to live in an area that gets more than just the mainstream fare, but you're not going to see much of that outside of metropolitan areas unless they have the screen space. For example, I know for a fact that my area won't get The Farewell because they never book A24 releases, but even the two other multiplexes within an hour-and-a-half's drive might not carry it either.

I like that AMC is at least kinda-sorta trying to draw attention toward smaller wide releases, but it feels disingenuous when they're still going to devote most of their screen space and promotional energy to the increasingly massive tentpoles. I know everyone wants stuff like Booksmart or Midsommar to catch on, but they're not going to if they're always just specialty afterthoughts.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

remember Pika Pika? thing is, predictions based on crazy successful source are always going to be overblown because logic is always "surely all those fans will show up for live action version". Not how it works but that line of thinking will never stop. And I'd say TLK over-predictions died down when EG demolished OW and it was clear TLK would never get there. But before that it was pegged for over IW. I remember that  well. 

And to be fair to TLK, it's still closer to crazy predictions than it's to underpeformance relative to expectations.

37 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No, but 500 is far from a lock. Not gonna be nearly as big of a fail for me as all of the people who said 600+ and especially not those who said 800+ (and there were many). 

You also said TS4 will barely reach 3x and it’s coming for 3.5x...

The reception aren’t worse than BATB, and that movie have 2.89x. TLK only need around 2.7x for breaking $ 500M, and it doesn’t have any competition.

I agree the movie probably won’t have great legs or even reach $ 600M, but your putting this on the same range of Dumbo which is far less well received.

• Like 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

You also said TS4 will barely reach 3x and it’s coming for 3.5x...

The reception aren’t worse than BATB, and that movie have 2.89x. TLK only need around 2.7x for breaking $ 500M, and it doesn’t have any competition.

I agree the movie probably won’t have great legs or even reach $ 600M, but your putting this on the same range of Dumbo which is far less well received.

its too early to say what the legs will be, it could hit 600 dom,but yeah i agree with your point

• Like 2

“People think just because it’s the biggest animated movie of all time, the movie will also be one of the biggest successes of all time”

I mean, it will be on the top 10 of biggest movies of all time, what’s your point here?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I hate it too when forum members are insufferable 

• Like 5
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

2B predictions for TLK dead? Or are there still optimists out there?

Oh FFS, it isn't even a full opening weekend and we are already pronouncing deaths left and right. never change BOT.

Not dead. yes I'm an optimist cause I've seen this happen every week. Something is pronounced death right after its first Friday. Shockingly, it lives a long and prosper life. rinse repeat. 

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

“People think just because it’s the biggest animated movie of all time, the movie will also be one of the biggest successes of all time”

I mean, it will be on the top 10 of biggest movies of all time, what’s your point here?

I’m talking admissions. A lot of people had predicts that indicated one of the biggest movies ever in admissions.