Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's not dead but it's not getting advantages or the necessary exposure. The hits always have room to get bigger. And partly because of that, movies like Booksmart in almost all cases can only get smaller. And smaller and smaller. Unless they either become an unexpected wom sensation or were made by one of the very few directors who are themselves brand names. 

Why would people spend so much money on tickets and movie food when they can just rent at home and get the same experience though? It's no coincidence that the midbudget movies that are thriving right now are music related - that's something you want to experience in a huge theater. People just don't want to pay a lot of money to see a 90 minute comedy in the theater anymore. It doesn't matter how much exposure it gets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

we live in times where 500-550M dom is not a breakout. :wacko:

Well, because we are talking about TLK. Everything is relative, and context is the key. For TLK remake, around 600M was expected, >650M is breakout, less than 550M is underwhelming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Why would people spend so much money on tickets and movie food when they can just rent at home and get the same experience though? It's no coincidence that the midbudget movies that are thriving right now are music related - that's something you want to experience in a huge theater. People just don't want to pay a lot of money to see a 90 minute comedy in the theater anymore. It doesn't matter how much exposure it gets.

Oh, I've been saying that ticket prices (at least for non-event movies) need to be lowered for a while. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I mean Night School did make over $70M last year plus Game Night and Instant Family almost got there too. It's not like the genre has completely flatlined.

Most of the studios will have streaming services. I think they are getting ready to make the transition from theater to streaming. it will slowly happen in the next 10-20 years. theaters are going extinct

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean Night School did make over $70M last year plus Game Night and Instant Family almost got there too. It's not like the genre has completely flatlined.

And 15 years ago movies like Wedding Crashers made 200M. It's a pretty bleak outlook. Comedies only thrive with a strong hook like Crazy Rich Asians.

Edited by Mekanos

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Most of the studios will have streaming services. I think they are getting ready to make the transition from theater to streaming. it will slowly happen in the next 10-20 years. theaters are going extinct

i hope not

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Blockers was a success as well. 

I feel like we're currently living in a post Cats trailer era and now the inmates are running the asylum here. It's pure madness and I kind of love it in a strange disturbing way. I wonder how many more $180+ million opening flops we're going to get in 2019. I'd be ready to bet at least one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, justvision said:

Well, because we are talking about TLK. Everything is relative, and context is the key. For TLK remake, around 600M was expected, >650M is breakout, less than 550M is underwhelming.

550M is not underwhelming even relative to over-predictions. Considering how hard it is still to crack that number, any movie that does it is a monster. 

1 minute ago, AlexMA said:

I feel like we're currently living in a post Cats trailer era and now the inmates are running the asylum here. It's pure madness and I kind of love it in a strange disturbing way. I wonder how many more $180+ million opening flops we're going to get in 2019. I'd be ready to bet at least one.

Skywalker 👀

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

550M is not underwhelming even relative to over-predictions. Considering how hard it is still to crack that number, any movie that does it is a monster. 

End game has made people delusional. 550 is easy look at what EG did.

550 is HARD. How many blockbusters fail to reach 100m versus hitting 500+ each year?

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

I wonder how many more $180+ million opening flops we're going to get in 2019. I'd be ready to bet at least one.

15 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Skywalker 👀

s2EATWd.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1