Eric Addams

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I don't remember what I predicted for The Lion King back in 2016/2017/2018, but I know I did have a laughably low prediction a few days ago that no one has brought up yet.

Wasn't it 150 or something?

I'm guessing Incredibles 2 wasn't an event despite opening to 180+ million as well :thinking:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I mean that's literally what the Paramount case was about. Disney isn't there yet. 

The Paramount case was because Paramount did have a monopoly by owning all of the movie theaters in Detroit. It had nothing to do with their movie studio being a monopoly. Disney does not own a chain of movie theaters.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Wasn't it 150 or something?

Lower. :ph34r:

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

End game has made people delusional. 550 is easy look at what EG did.

550 is HARD. How many blockbusters fail to reach 100m versus hitting 500+ each year?

EG spoiled many members here

now freaking 190M OW is underperformance, it wont get 500M and will be under performance lol

• Like 1

Lol, BOT never change. Somehow, 190M OW is not an event, smfh. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Lion King = Critic Proof.  It's just too Legendary of a movie.    But very strong OD for the remake.   Potter and the July record are in danger.    

• Like 1

Just because we had outrageous predictions for a movie, doesn’t mean said movie that’s opening to $190M+ isn’t an event film. Like what kind of logic is that :winomg: 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Just because we had outrageous predictions for a movie, doesn’t mean said movie that’s opening to $190M+ isn’t an event film. Like what kind of logic is that :winomg: 

I think all this over predicting and getting obsessed with numbers are rotting some people's brains here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep. This movie was getting 1b DOM predictions around here. It has been completely insufferable for well over a year. 

i remember agreeing with you back when Incredibles 2 came out that Lion King wasn't guaranteed to pass Finding Dory, let alone I2. Good times!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Lol, some of y’all are really easily fooled if you don’t get the joke.

Fwiw, I’ve been the one arguing for months that when TLK does 400+ but is nowhere near an all timer it will still be huge but maybe people will realize how foolish and silly all those crazy predictions were. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

Out of curiosity I looked at the predictions from a few box office sites. The Numbers had 160 millions.  Box Office Prophets 170.   Box Office 185+. Mojo 190.  

It looks like it’s going to be at the high end of projections.  If that somehow is disappointing then I don’t know what to say

• Like 5

There are always weirdos predicting crazy numbers. Predicting 1B domestic for any movie is crazy. 600m domestic is no slouch. That would be in uber blockbuster epic territory.

• Like 1

Just now, DAR said:

Out of curiosity I looked at the predictions from a few box office sites. The Numbers had 160 millions.  Box Office Prophets 170.   Box Office 185+. Mojo 190.  

It looks like it’s going to be at the high end of projections.  If that somehow is disappointing then I don’t know what to say

because there are crazy predictions even higher than that so its a disappointing run. its coming from a guy who predicted crazy numbers for Mary Poppins Returns and Pokemon !!!!

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Thanks...and BORReport went with 181

Weekend Box Office Predictions for July 19 - July 21, 2019 1.

#TheLionKing - $181.0M 2.

#SpiderManFarFromHome - $20.5M 3.

#ToyStory4 - $13.3M

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1151665782905982976

Much better than Dumbo. Not as good as Aladdin 

Too serious and too slow. Some scenes better than original, most were not. Solid.

Aladdin was 9.5 this was 8/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Nova said:

Agreed. Was it as good as it could have been? Definitely not but it was still good. Timon was the best part of the movie, Scar was incredible.

I don't understand, wasn't the consensus around here that it would open around 180-200 million? It's doing exactly that, so why are some making it sound like it didn't live up to the crazy hype?

Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't know.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlexMA said:

I don't understand, wasn't the consensus around here that it would open around 180-200 million? It's doing exactly that, so why are some making it sound like it didn't live up to the crazy hype?

Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't know.

Right?

First industry tracking was expecting $ 150M.

Every report on prerelease are saying $ 180 - 190M.

Even our fellas on tracking thread are pointing out around $ 20M previews for a probable $ 180- 200M OW.

Then the movie is actually coming for around $ 190M and suddenly it's not enough and an underperformer. I mean, it's far better than first tracking and right in line with final tracking + our own guesses in general, there's no reason to complain about it, but still here we are. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

because there are crazy predictions even higher than that so its a disappointing run. its coming from a guy who predicted crazy numbers for Mary Poppins Returns and Pokemon !!!!

It’s not just one guy and don’t disrespect @Shawn

• Like 1