Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

Great OW for TLK. Not fantastic. Still see signs of the theater boxoffice market slowing down. Perhaps for good. Even if reviews were through the roof I wouldn’t be surprised if $190-200m was its OW anyway. 

29 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It’s not just one guy and don’t disrespect @Shawn

Shawn rightly plummeted Pokemon to normal numbers before it came out. Hell I thought 750-800ww a month before. I was wrong as well. 

• Like 1

Having just got out of TLK, I can see what some are complaining about. Personally I still really enjoyed it, but the shot for shot remake label that people lazily apply to all Disney remakes literally does apply here. It's almost kind of jarring. My head should have been in the movie I was watching but most of the time I was just picturing the original.

One of the main issues with the film is editing and pacing. It feels like in an effort to align the film with the original shot for shot, some of the scenes stick out from each other and feel like they're just patched together, if that makes any sense. There are parts of the film that really don't flow.

It was still a gorgeous film visually though, as many have already said, and you can't help but enjoy the musical numbers. My crowd loved it, especially my sister who said she felt like she was in a time warp and actually got emotional. It seems that the very thing people criticize - the shot for shot copycat style - is what other people love so much. That's the story of these fairy tale remakes in a nutshell.

Another comment that doesn't really have to do with the movie itself: I was shocked the theatre and my auditorium weren't more packed. Saturday afternoon during the summer? That's PRIMETIME for a family film! However, my thought is that this isn't necessarily an indictment on the box office. We have to consider these new massive theatre counts, which are massively diluting the PTA in the process. There is a ton of supply in terms of seats so it makes sense that even with a huge opening close to $200M that a lot of screenings aren't going to be full. Take away 400-500 theatres (Not too long ago 4,225 theatres would have been a normal number for a movie like this) and of course the theatres will be fuller as the audience is more compressed.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

Fri 78.5

Sat 62 (-21%)

Sun 53 (-15%)

An $193.5m OW is very good but falls a little short of expectations.

not sure which expectations you're referring to but industry tracking had TLK opening at 150M-180M a couple of days ago. so 193.5M is well above that range. 

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

not sure which expectations you're referring to but industry tracking had TLK opening at 150M-180M a couple of days ago. so 193.5M is well above that range. 

A few people on here thought 700m dom was in play. Easy to laugh at it now, but...

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

I'm sad that @mahnamahna's predicted EPIC run for this isn't happening. FYI, his predicted run had this finishing as the top domestic film of all time.

I'm slightly disappointed the OW won't be getting close to >TLJ, which I almost took for granted leading up to now, but what ISN'T dead yet is an epic run through to the end of August and even into September. All that's changed from some of our expectations is the size of the starting point. I'm really curious to see how this will play on weekdays and what the 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th weekends and beyond will look like.

In other words, this could still be in for a ridiculous TOTAL. We just have to wait and see.

with a 190M OW TLK would need at least a 2.81x multi to pass TDK (535M) and win the July record which is still isn't guaranteed but 500M should be locked. I'm thinking it'll do $525m-$550M which means about $1.35-$1.4B~ WW total.

so basically O/U Ultron OW and WW total.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Zero spoiler rush, summer, and competition. Gonna have a fantastic rest of July along with a great August.

Yup, this. I know we all LOVE epic opening weekends and I don't blame any one of you. They're fun times on here! I can almost guarantee, though, that we're going to have a lot of fun with dailies with this one. I say almost guarantee because we don't know the GA's reaction yet. Will a lot of people feel underwhelmed, or will it just be critics and the internet echo chamber?

• Like 1

Can we really spoil Hamlet though?

On that note. Schools go and make us read Hamlet instead of showing the play being played and then they wonder why half the class dislikes it.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Knock It Off 1