Eric Atreides

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why? I meant it as an example of what star power used to be.

Bcs its only looking for tickets price averages, and many other reasons I listed often

Eternals doesn't need stars to get people through the door, the Marvel Studios branding will get them there. Angelina Jolie is there to get people who maybe wouldn't pay attention to a Marvel movie, the rest are flavoring, like someone else said.

Stars that get people to buy tickets, regardless of the movie, are a dying breed, you can probably count them on two hands. And to give just one example, of course, the classic example, Tom Cruise, dude is the ONLY reason that abysmal Mummy reboot made it to $400 million worldwide. Cruise, Will Smith, Brad Pitt, they're going extinct, people today come first for the movie, if it's something that interests them. So if Eternals is something that will get people excited through its promotional material, then it could be a big hit for Marvel. Maybe not Guardians, but Doctor Strange or higher is very possible, and I doubt they're expecting more in this case.

But again we'll first need to see at least a teaser, something.

Edited by AlexMA
missing 'r'
  • Like 2

Marvel is a far bigger star, especially in terms of box office draw that Jolie.

AJo has never drawn a film that didn't have a property title or a more famous person next to it. Heck, she hasn't really drawn many films period. 

Three movies that she was at the centre of the marketing of were gigantic bombs (Beowolf, Alexander, Sky Captain).

Most of her starring movies were never intended to be draws, or just did meh (Salt, Tomb Raiders, The Tourist)

I'd argue that Jude Law in Captain Marvel and Robert Redford in Winter Solder were no weaker draws to those movies than Jolie will be to Eternals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bleachella said:

Yeah it doesn't really matter whether they are stars now, after the release of Eternals and becoming part of Marvel aka the biggest star there is, they will be 

This. 

Which is why they want to be in them. It opens doors for them 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Her only success this decade has been the live action Sleeping Beauty. Literally not one acclaimed or successful project in almost an entire decade. :apocalypse:

Yeah, how dare she attempts a career as an indie director, instead of taking paycheck role after paycheck role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Marvel is a far bigger star, especially in terms of box office draw that Jolie.

AJo has never drawn a film that didn't have a property title or a more famous person next to it. Heck, she hasn't really drawn many films period. 

Three movies that she was at the centre of the marketing of were gigantic bombs (Beowolf, Alexander, Sky Captain).

Most of her starring movies were never intended to be draws, or just did meh (Salt, Tomb Raiders, The Tourist)

I'd argue that Jude Law in Captain Marvel and Robert Redford in Winter Solder were no weaker draws to those movies than Jolie will be to Eternals. 

Let’s not conveniently forget Mr & Mrs Smith. That film was gigantic, solely on star power with her and Pitt being an on screen couple. 

If you think that would've been as big as it was with Pitt and any other actress, then you need your head examined. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Let’s not conveniently forget Mr & Mrs Smith. That film was gigantic, solely on star power with her and Pitt being an on screen couple. 

If you think that would've been as big as it was with Pitt and any other actress, then you need your head examined. 

Excuse me, but everyone knows that Mr. and Mrs. Smith was successful only because of the script by child prodigy Simon Kinberg.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

That phase 4 line up from Marvel doesn’t look very good at all. 

Hard to tell which ones are actually films and which one are just for streaming. 

Black Widow though, yay. But we’ve known that for months. 

Not hard. Black Widow and Eternals 2020, Shang-chi, Doctor Strange 2 and Thor 4 2021. Blade, GOTG 3, BP 2, CM 2, Fantastic Four, X’Men also movies, but without a release date.

Falcon and Winter Soldier, Loki, WandaVision, Hawkeye and Whatif all D+.

• Like 2

I think one of many reasons MCO got big, is that they cast a lot of people with ~ a name.

What differs is, for what the name stands for. and where, partly when.

Like e.g. to cast an Asian star or whatever.

Or TV-series, or awards / indie films....

It does bring audience in to a mostly very small degree as a reason, to watch a certain actor/actress, but helps with general awareness. And acceptance.

As they do a pretty good mix, the sum is more important than every single one of them. And still, that's only a part of their success

14 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

The Prince in Cinderella? Elton’s manager in Rocketman? ffs

That doesn't help the argument that he's well known. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

That doesn't help the argument that he's well known. 

He is way more than well known in UK and parts of Europe

Like Dong-seok Ma or is it Ma Dong-seok:

... Ma has become one of the most popular and bankable actors in South Korea.

The discussions started on my side for jumping in my POV unneeded on a poster without asking for a definition.