Eric Duncan

Halloween Kills | October 15, 2021 | Uni/Blumhouse | Releases day-and-date in theaters and Peacock | 35% on RT

On 10/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, Ronin46 said:

So another horror sequel/reboot/prequel/reimaging with mediocre reviews has overperformed expectations.

Down on previous versions but much higher than expectations at the time of release.

Escape Room 2  tick

Dont Breathe 2 tick

Forever Purge tick

Candyman tick

Halloween kills tick

All had good legs. Halloween wont have the 3 times legs that Purge had but is 10 to 15 million over expectations for OW.

People want to see horror in the cinema. If its a sequel to a well known franchise all the better. if reviews are mediocre then it wont hurt BO much at all.

Malignant is the 1 horror that did not perform up to expectations. Original story so no IP and HBO Max. Hard to say what HBO Max did to it but cant help but think its was pretty significant.

So we have an incoming Scream which will likely continue the pattern. Studios must be all over trying to entangle other horror franchises. Friday the 13th jumped through 1 hoop but still a few more to go before that can be made.

Add in The Conjuring 3 too. Interesting that out of all the films you listed, only Halloween Kills had an at-home option. 

22 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Ha, I hate this, mess. People are so dramatic and entitled these days.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i just hope after this DGG trilogy is wrapped up we get a new take on halloween where all 13 movies are canon.

That would be interesting but impossible. Lots of Laurie Strodes and several of her children. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i just hope after this DGG trilogy is wrapped up we get a new take on halloween where all 13 movies are canon.

David Gordon Green’s Michael and Rob Zombie’s Michael go head to head while John Carpenter’s original Michael watches like a cuck from his sisters bedroom window. Meanwhile Alyson Strode finds her long lost Uncle Josh Hartnett to take down the Silver Shamrock company once and for all. It’d be so chaotic that it might just work.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

David Gordon Green’s Michael and Rob Zombie’s Michael go head to head while John Carpenter’s original Michael watches like a cuck from his sisters bedroom window. Meanwhile Alyson Strode finds her long lost Uncle Josh Hartnett to take down the Silver Shamrock company once and for all. It’d be so chaotic that it might just work.

Don’t forget LL Cool J and Busta lol

• Haha 1

Maybe my expectations were in check because I've been catching up on some of the lesser entries in the franchise recently. 

The characters were pretty dumb throughout and the logistics of the last 5 mins have not been thought out.

I think I screamed at the screen the 10th time someone said "remember that night". Plot definitely feels like wheel-spinning before the conclusion. 

It felt like Green's direction took a bit of step back as well.

But Michael was a badass, the kills were awesome and brutal (glorious gore), returning characters were solid. Feels like a proper continuation of the same night. Some unexpected surprises. 

Overall the fun outweighed the frustrations. 

6/10 

Edited by FilmFincher

6 hours ago, iHeartJames said:

My issue with spoiler dying is that I already know its gonna lead to spoiler doing stupid shit throughout the 3rd movie just off pure emotion and I already have a massive headache thinking about it

Haha luckily Ends is set a few years later. So things might have calmed down a bit. 

Halloween films enjoy such a low bar for entertainment. I can't tell you how much I've heard from the super fans about the mask, the mask, the mask. And of course the Dean Cundey style lighting. Throw in Carpenter taking another crack at the soundtrack and I think the story becomes an after thought (as it was here). 

I guess if the expectations of the mask, the lighting, and the music are met, it doesn't matter if Michael is in Haddonfield or Hogsmeade. Halloween is essentially a costume franchise. If you get the costume right, then all else is forgiven. If the costume is wrong, then we look at the story for complaints. 

Its the same thought process I hear from the Batman movies. " Look! They gave him nipples! God that was an awful story!" Like the one before it didn't have all the same issues of cringe-worthy dialogue and cartoon treatment characters? LOL! 

I guess I'm a bit harder on these films if the creative team coming in is wiping away forty years of sequels to say they have a "better idea", then proceed to fall back on auto-pilot like the rest. At some point you need to call them out and just say there is no truth in marketing (not a new thing) and that this product will always be one note, barely B-rated, copy cats to the original. There's nothing wrong to follow the formula if its makes you bank. But listening to the director give exposition like actual thought was put into these stories written on the back of a napkin, is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Val357 said:

Yeah it's not going to be pretty after a solid OW.

To be fair, it doesn’t really matter anyway considering the budget. These types of films always drop hard in their second weekends, but Halloween Kills has the benefit of Halloween itself on its third weekend, so it’ll likely stabilise a bit before dropping off a cliff the following week once we’re into November. The film will make back its budget and marketing with ease.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

To be fair, it doesn’t really matter anyway considering the budget. These types of films always drop hard in their second weekends, but Halloween Kills has the benefit of Halloween itself on its third weekend, so it’ll likely stabilise a bit before dropping off a cliff the following week once we’re into November. The film will make back its budget and marketing with ease.

Oh for sure! I just mean it won't be pretty for a box office nerd.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Val357 said:

I'm morbidly curious about just how steep Halloween Kills can drop haha. I'm going to be comparing it closely to Friday the 13th (2009) this week. Friday the 13th had a similar pattern on OW to Halloween Kills, though all around slightly worse. I guess if there's a big difference it's on Sunday, where F13 dropped worse (-51.1% compared to -46.6% for HK). Not only is the Sunday drop worse but compounding that is F13 had the benefit of a holiday Monday and STILL dropped over 50% on Sunday. Ouch. F13 then proceeded to drop 56.8% on Presidents' Day Monday when holiday Mondays are usually softer than that, whereas I suspect HK's Monday drop yesterday might reflect more or less a typical Monday drop (not as opposed to a holiday Monday drop - that's obvious - but as opposed to a bad drop for a movie like this on a typical Monday).

Probably an unfair comparison though, as F13 is the crown jewel of all 2nd weekend drops for a major release.

My post from the weekend thread. Figured I'd move it here.