THUNDER BIRD

Hypothetical scenario, Marvel vs Disney.

So my first topic here after joining. 

As we all know they Disney is currently ruling the world cinema, and completion is becoming one sided quickly, things have come to a point tgat 1 billion is considered underperformance for some of Disney movies whereas 190 million OW too, such are the expectations from Disney nowdays. It is competing with itself.

It's like Disney saying "I Am Inevitable" and Disney itself replying "I Am Disney". 

But on other spectrum is the Marvel brand, especially MCU, built after selling rights to their more popular superheroes and starting with not so popular ones in comparison had now become a Box Office juggernaut, recently overhauling Avatar as one m the biggest WorldWide grosser, it is simply the biggest Brand currently.

So what happens if we put these two box office giants against each other? I know that MCU is under Disney but in terms of a hypothetical scenario where MCU detaches from Disney, starts doing their own things, and (another hypothetical scenario) have added boost of X Men, F4, Deadpool and others.

In this certain scenario who will hold uppar hand, Disney with their properties or Marvel with their every character rights with themselves? Well Marvel be able to stop Disney dominance or will the Disney juggernaut roll over Marvel and then again will get MCU under their wings? 

Shout out your opinions, and please don't say they this is impossible scenario, because it is clearly made as a "WHAT IF" series, you can call it being inspired by another What If series. So buys & girls, ladies & gentlemen, let's discuss the future of Cinema & Box Office if these two Behemoths were ever to clash with each other.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Disney. They can make a slew of diverse movies if they want to. People will only pay for so many CBMs every year. 

Not saying Marvel wouldn't have bigger movies for the time being. But Disney would be more sustainable because there's more things it can do in the future, whereas Marvel would sort of be stuck in its own wading pool. 

• Like 1

Is there a time period? Or it just keeps going on? Like say if it was before 5 years until IW and EG would have released everyone knows Marvel is top dog. So is there a condition? If not no one can say then.

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Is there a time period? Or it just keeps going on? Like say if it was before 5 years until IW and EG would have released everyone knows Marvel is top dog. So is there a condition? If not no one can say then.

Yeah, it's like near future, and long term.

Let's say if this happens today, then the scenario for next 5 years-10 years and scenario for beyond that.

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Disney. They can make a slew of diverse movies if they want to. People will only pay for so many CBMs every year. 

Not saying Marvel wouldn't have bigger movies for the time being. But Disney would be more sustainable because there's more things it can do in the future, whereas Marvel would sort of be stuck in its own wading pool. 

Yeah but by that time when Marvel starts to stagnant, whether it happens, don't you think Marvel would get more movies in top grossers leaderboard,

Most of Disney's big hits are Marvel movies, their live action movies run due to being remakes, Star Wars is a brand in itself. Marvel as a name is much bigger and can get more high grossers before running out of steam which itself won't happen in near future.

This assuming that marvel will have the money to produce this amount of movies or tv shows and market them the best way possible without mega corporation financing them?

Anyway Disney wins, they have pixar-WDAS- lucasfilm and fox properties

Marvel will compete in the SH genre against DC (WB) and that's it, as far as market share Disney will still come out on top challenged only by WB.

Does Disney have Star Wars ? If yes then Disney wins easily. Just because MCU movies are max 4-5 a year will be released while Disney have remakes, animation and Star Wars and maybe some original. But if once a year like last year and this year when MCU has popular sequels and Avengers movies it will blow away Disney. So I think some years Disney might win some Marvel. 

27 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yeah but by that time when Marvel starts to stagnant, whether it happens, don't you think Marvel would get more movies in top grossers leaderboard,

Most of Disney's big hits are Marvel movies, their live action movies run due to being remakes, Star Wars is a brand in itself. Marvel as a name is much bigger and can get more high grossers before running out of steam which itself won't happen in near future.

I mean I didn't think the criteria was "who would produce more 'highest-grossing movies' in the near future". I mean, sure I guess? Star Wars is only gonna be 1 every few years, Pixar will be back to around 1 per year. The Live Action Remakes are pretty much at/past their peak. Still, Disney has SO MANY other properties to mine, and the creative freedom to make new IPs. 

Marvel may "win" short-term if that's what you mean. But box office isn't just a game of who can get the biggest movie. It's an industry with companies throwing in billions of dollars, and thousands of jobs depending on it. Doesn't matter if Marvel movies make 1.1B each over the next 3 years while "Disney" movies make only 800M each. 

I often find it interesting to hypothetically looks at what studio rankings would be if you split up Marvel Studios and Disney. Since 2015 or so they’ve basically been able to hold their own with other studio, in 2018-2019 being near the top.    

But 2018-2019 are aberrations, I’m pretty confident that Disney sans MCU will outgross MCU DOM and WW for most years of the 2020s, and would certainly have more longevity into the farther decades.

• Like 1

Let's see;

2017: Marvel $3.2 Billion (4)  Disney $4.6 Billion (6)

2018: Marvel $6 Billion (6) Disney $3.03 Billion (7)

2019: Marvel $5.2 Billion (4) Disney $6.75 Billion * (7)

If Marvel is Hulk, Disney is Thanos. Hulk may give Thanos some beating but Thanos is inevitable.

However they are the only two to survive the power of stones, not one or two but six.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

There's technically nothing Marvel can't do that Disney does. They can create new characters, they can have cartoons (and have), they can have TV shows (without the Disney PG restriction, see Netflix). Merchandising is a lock. If Marvel had been able to stick it out financially for a few more years I would say they won't have needed Disney at all. Disney has 50 years of goodwill and cash though so maybe they'll win out in the end but Marvel could definitely have eventually stood on their own if they'd had had more money in the bank to start their universe. 

Lol Disney can't produce long term franchises.

They struggled with that in the past to the point that they pretty much gave up on them and just straight up started throwing money at live action attempts of previously produced IPs  :hahaha:

The best thing that sums up current Marvel-less Disney are there top lot of Star Wars movie : banking off old iconic stuff and producing cookie cutter cashgrabs which are 1/6th of the original how is that longevity ??

MCU as a franchise has longevity with its pace,direction and characters VS The Lion King 4 : The Dark Fate or those Timon & Pumba spinoff Disney would be making without the turnout of marvel.

Without Marvel's effort Disney will just wind up being  60% present-day Dreamworks on setroids + 30% Ageing cast of old Star Wars movies + 10% their animation division that actually delivers if not getting forced to chug more than 3 movies annually

There is a good chance for marvel to win long terms. Disney is running out of remakes, star wars is a second tier franchise now, which they can't even release 1 per year. And their original films lmao. While marvel is going strong year by year, include x men just like you said in your post and yep marvel is looking much better than disney in near future. 

• Haha 1

I think it is as simple as this - If Marvel and Disney make the same number of movies every year, then Marvel will win because on average their movies have higher grosses than the Disney ones. 

But Disney has a wide range of properties and sub studios like Pixar/WDAS/Lucasfilm/Live Action + all the fox stuff now. They can make more diverse movies than Marvel and thus have more releases. Marvel cannot release 7-10 movies in a year.

So overall Disney will win even if their animated or SW movies don't make as much as Marvel movies simply because they make more movies. We might have a year here and there like last year when Marvel out grossed Disney though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Marvel cannot release 7-10 movies in a year.

I honestly think audiences would love that, but keeping continuity straight with so many simultaneous productions would be too much to handle.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Honestly, Disney will not survive without marvel and marvel will not survive without Disney.

They are the two sides of the same coin now.

BS. Disney was already one of the most powerful studios in Hollywood before the merger with Marvel.

And if by some act of insanity Disney gave up Marvel, every other major studio in Hollywood would be cutting each other throasts to sigh them up.

A incredible amount of ignorance and short memory here. It has been only Six years since the Disney Marvel merger.

Marvel Studios would have a hard time, though without a deal with a major studio.They get a lot of logistical support from their major studio partners..release and marketing in particular. It would cost Marvel a huge amount of money to set up it's own worldwide release system.