Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Yep. Darn shame many chickened out of September cause it proved very lucrative for a few movies that took the risk.  If they spread the wealth, everyone would have a chance.

I have no doubt that, sadly, an original IP like this movie will be lost in the shuffle. Too many movies with built-in fandom that fans will prioritize even if they want to see this one too.

I think Fox/Disney overestimated the controversy and backlash this movie might get and tried to hide it in a busy October. Now that it looks fairly well received, they're going into overdrive to try to hype it up in a busy month. 

Edited by EmmaPeel

1 minute ago, EmmaPeel said:

I think Fox/Disney overestimated the controversy and backlash this movie might get and tried to hide it in a busy October. 

I remember when I used to listen to the Collider movie podcast maybe 18 months ago. they were discussing Last duel and Jeff Schneider (who was recently let go from Collider) said he would be surprised if this movie would even get made. This was with Damon , Affleck and Ridley already attached and Damon and Affleck were co-writing it already had mostly finished that.  Just the subject matter was his reasoning. I even thought at the time that it was going to be made and would be fine.

So I do think this has been mishandled with the release.  

7 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I frankly don't understand what "controversy" they thought there might be. This is a Me Too movie. 

Yeah, this. And right on cue, there's a new bunch of glowing reactions on twitter. It must have been screened somewhere. It's from real critics. 

I'm really getting hyped now. They say the duel itself is really something else. Action in general is getting a lot of WOWs. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

Unless you are Marvel or hit the Zeitgeist with something Free Guy or you are a sequel or horror, the chances of your film breaking out pretty much zippo.  This is going to be2.5 hours long and a period piece.  Gone are the days of Gladiator and Braveheart.  No idea how many theatres this will be in but the chances of it grossing over 10 mill for the OW are slim.  I don't see this breaking out.  I've been wrong a lot so far since I've started paying attention the box office again, but I think this does something like 9/25

• Like 1

12 hours ago, baumer said:

Unless you are Marvel or hit the Zeitgeist with something Free Guy or you are a sequel or horror, the chances of your film breaking out pretty much zippo.  This is going to be2.5 hours long and a period piece.  Gone are the days of Gladiator and Braveheart.  No idea how many theatres this will be in but the chances of it grossing over 10 mill for the OW are slim.  I don't see this breaking out.  I've been wrong a lot so far since I've started paying attention the box office again, but I think this does something like 9/25

I think it could pull a 16/45. If I'm being biased 22/65. Grown-ups will show up to theatres eventually. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, Valonqar said:

Yeah there's no controversy. They brought in a famous female scribe to handle Comer's character and Comer is the hero of the story. 

Sexual assault is pretty much guaranteed to set some people off today no matter context in which its depicted.  Fully expect some triggered reviews over it.

Also whats the deal with the reviews?  Is there post-Venice embargo or something?  This has been press screening for over a week now and still nothing.

43 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Sexual assault is pretty much guaranteed to set some people off today no matter context in which its depicted.  Fully expect some triggered reviews over it.

Also whats the deal with the reviews?  Is there post-Venice embargo or something?  This has been press screening for over a week now and still nothing.

What do you mean? Reviews are on both MC and RT. 

Edited by tonytr87

Still want to see this but don't see it doing very well at all, especially in the current environment (where anything tackling heavy/unpalatable themes is automatically getting the cold shoulder from audiences seeking an escape from reality). If it hits double digits next weekend it'll be lucky.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Paul Verhoeven said:

What is the opening forecast based on pre-sales?

Nothing official, but *best* case scenario would be $10M OW. I just hope the budget wasn't *too* high because I cannot imagine this movie crossing the $200M WW mark. 

Edited by JWR
  • Thanks 1