Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

58 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

is this gonna be going to Disney+ in the UK after 45 days like Free Guy did?

The Night House will be uploaded to D+ towards the end of October to coincide with Halloween. They might hold it for a while but it looks like it can definitely hit service around December. 

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

is this gonna be going to Disney+ in the UK after 45 days like Free Guy did?

Pretty likely considering Free Guy did so well in the countries it came to Disney+. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

this is a kind of movie that people overlook in cinemas and then go "how the heck did I miss this?" when it hits streaming and from there on they cite it as one of their all-time faves. 

Very possible plus I think this would be unlikely to set up a sequel so it is not like the film underperforming at the box office will hurt it's viewership potential in the future unlike many other bombs over the years. 

• Like 1

I think I said it in old pages but medieval genre hasn't been profitable for decades. King Arthur and Robin Hood were the latest bombs. It works when it's mixed with high fantasy (LOTR, GOT) but there's no audience for historical epics set in Middle Ages. Scott's own Kingdom of Heaven was a bomb. The last success was Braveheart in the 90s. 

Scott will be fine cause he has House of Gucci and there's actual interest in that one. The Last Duel trailer and spots barely had views while Gucci trailer got lots of views and great trending. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

I think I said it in old pages but medieval genre hasn't been profitable for decades. King Arthur and Robin Hood were the latest bombs. It works when it's mixed with high fantasy (LOTR, GOT) but there's no audience for historical epics set in Middle Ages. Scott's own Kingdom of Heaven was a bomb. The last success was Braveheart in the 90s. 

Afraid so. Though given the heavy subject matter, this movie was never going to be a huge financial success. I do think it'll find its audience on home video, though.

#metoo movies don't do well either. Bombshell and Promising Young Woman were flops. And this is a Medieval #Metoo Movie. 

I agree about home video. If it continues to rise on RT (both Average and %) as in "it's actually a good movie" people will discover it when it hits D+ or other Disney platform for adult content. It's kind of thing that people check out at home. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 9:59 PM, Valonqar said:

this is a kind of movie that people overlook in cinemas and then go "how the heck did I miss this?" when it hits streaming and from there on they cite it as one of their all-time faves. 

And people wonder why we get so many comic book movies/IP-based stuff...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

#metoo movies don't do well either. Bombshell and Promising Young Woman were flops. And this is a Medieval #Metoo Movie. 

I agree about home video. If it continues to rise on RT (both Average and %) as in "it's actually a good movie" people will discover it when it hits D+ or other Disney platform for adult content. It's kind of thing that people check out at home. 

The upcoming movie She Said wont do well in my opinion. (Harvey Weinstein accusers). Who really wants to go to the cinema and watch this type of movie. Bombshell as you said had a stacked cast and did not do well. 

9 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Promising Young Woman was the highest grossing Best Picture nominee last year (at least domestically), maybe that's like being the tallest ant hill, but it's exactly the sort of prestige movie that's suffered the most since the pandemic. Maybe there's an alternate timeline where it gets released in 2019 and makes $50 million, but it's low budget without much star power, I'm sure Focus made out fine with it counting ancillaries. The Last Duel obviously has to make a lot more to be profitable, even in a world without Covid it wasn't the easiest sell.

If the opening weekend outdoes the tracking, this will be why:

"From the studio that brought you The Revenant"...and also Home Alone, it's been pretty mainstream studio through the years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ronin46 said:

The upcoming movie She Said wont do well in my opinion. (Harvey Weinstein accusers). Who really wants to go to the cinema and watch this type of movie. Bombshell as you said had a stacked cast and did not do well. 

Yep, bombs away. That type of a movie is made only for Oscars and nobody else. No wonder it's called an Oscar bait. 

6 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Promising Young Woman was the highest grossing Best Picture nominee last year (at least domestically), maybe that's like being the tallest ant hill, but it's exactly the sort of prestige movie that's suffered the most since the pandemic. Maybe there's an alternate timeline where it gets released in 2019 and makes $50 million, but it's low budget without much star power, I'm sure Focus made out fine with it counting ancillaries. The Last Duel obviously has to make a lot more to be profitable, even in a world without Covid it wasn't the easiest sell.

If the opening weekend outdoes the tracking, this will be why:

Considering most picture nominees were released on streaming, we'll never know their viewership. But no, I don't think PYW would have done better in normal circumstances because there would be an actual competition and people don't watch heavy movies on holidays (PYW's release period). I wager it would have missed nominations if it had to contend with all the movies that were delayed then and released now. Pandemic helped it stand out. It would have been lost in a shuffle which happens with movies that are too small.

As for The Last Duel tracking, it's so low that numbers could only go up. Down would be...something else.

Edited by Valonqar

ET's Lauren Zima spoke with Affleck, Damon and co-writer Nicole Holofcener about the hotly anticipated historical drama, and they revealed that one scene almost had Damon planting a kiss on Affleck. However, the scene instead featured Damon kneeling instead.

"In the original actual version of that scene -- the way that ceremony actually took place was that you kissed everybody on the mouth," Affleck explained. "And we had that in the script."

"That would've been our first on screen kiss," Damon added.

"It's going to have to wait," Affleck quipped.

Unfortunately for fans who hope to see it as a deleted scene, the writers explained that it never even made it into the final script after director Ridley Scott nixed it from the start.

Ridley thought it would be a distraction, and he's not wrong. I'm mildly surprised we are just hearing about this...

I wish these types of historical epics did better in general but I don't see this one bucking the trend sadly. Ridley is great at this stuff though, watched Kingdom of Heaven (directors cut) the other night and he nails the atmosphere and epic vibe so well. I hope he can bring some of that magic here too.

• Like 1