Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

I love "The Last Duel". I've seen so many Academy awards films over the last few weeks and it's superior to most of them. So far I've only rated 4 stars to 3 films in 2021 - "The Last Duel", "A Hero" and "The Power of the Dog".

I do blame Disney for the rollout. They should've stick to December platform/limited release and then expansion in January. I don't think it would've made way more, but 25-35 million $ would've been possible. It's not the genre people are so eager to watch anyways, and if you market it the way they did with one trailer and just a couple of posters, in addition to 2.5 hrs runtime, it was dead on arrival.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lab276 said:

If it’s comment you’re seeing a lot, then maybe it might be true? 

Of course not, claiming that you are a big movie fan and at the same time having no idea big budget Ridley Scott film with big stars comes out makes no sense whatsoever, it just means you are not into movies, it's that simple.

41 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Of course not, claiming that you are a big movie fan and at the same time having no idea big budget Ridley Scott film with big stars comes out makes no sense whatsoever, it just means you are not into movies, it's that simple.

It's totally possible for movies to fall through the cracks if they aren't advertised correctly. I saw two movies the week before it was released (Shang-Chi and Flashback) and there was no trailer attached to either film, I didn't see any posters for it at the cinema, it had no online presence etc... It just escaped my attention. Maybe it was just a function of lockdown, because usually I'm constantly looking at what's releasing and when cinemas were closed that just depressed me. But even before lockdown I don't remember any trailers or anything for it, whereas literally every film had trailers for Bond and Venom 2.

1 hour ago, lab276 said:

A good poster wouldn't have gone amiss either, 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhZw4d7ZYJC8Xll0gm73B

This would have captured my attention straight away if they'd used this.

MV5BZGExZTUzYWQtYWJjZi00OTI4LTk4OGYtNTA2

Whereas this is a poster I wouldn't remember after I stopped looking at it.

The first poster is great, its got a 70s vibe to it.  Its really simple and effective with the 2 swords and Marguerite front and center.  That second one is insultingly generic ugly as shit and looks like every other lazy movie poster these days.

Thank god the 4K/BR Steelbooks are using the former...

FEQJG6ZXsAcpQ29?format=jpg&name=medium

2u3yforjtsz71.jpg

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Its not gonna be very long until we're living in a world where Ridley Scott isn't pumping out movies anymore, we must cherish these moments.

Besides, the Twitter reactions have been much more embarrassing than anything 83-year-old old man Ridley Scott could say.

I like this one especially because in his thread, the guy doesn't name any POC directors who he thinks the $100 million should be "allocated" to, or what genre the POC-directed film would be. Just reducing the term "filmmakers of color" to a cultural signifier for slinging insults at directors you don't like.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

15 hours ago, nick64 said:

Ridley, people aren’t paying $10 a person in this economy/pandemic to “learn something”. Money’s tight, most people are gonna use their entertainment budget for a bit of fun escapism. This isn’t a totally new phenomenon either. Hell, Blade Runner flopped 40 years ago, how has he not learned this by now?

Is that true, in the USA personal saving rate exploded to record high since early 2020:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/business/consumer-saving-spending-boom/index.html

https://time.com/nextadvisor/banking/savings/us-saving-rate-soaring/

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PSAVERT

It is hard to make some segment of the population to pay for in-door in person experience (but that would be true even for free), but people are spending :

https://www.reuters.com/business/us-retail-sales-beat-expectations-october-2021-11-16/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Besides, the Twitter reactions have been much more embarrassing than anything 83-year-old old man Ridley Scott could say.

I like this one especially because in his thread, the guy doesn't name any POC directors who he thinks the $100 million should be "allocated" to, or what genre the POC-directed film would be. Just reducing the term "filmmakers of color" to a cultural signifier for slinging insults at directors you don't like.

Oh I’m sooo sick of this stupid narrative. POC this POC that. What the hell is he talking about? 

• Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

I'd like to know what the "cutoff" age or date is for these younger critics of culture.  Do they not expect us to rely on any more experts in the field of filmmaking simply because they're old and white?  Toppling the system may sound great on paper, but when you clear the deck, you have real decisions to figure out...and it ain't so easy as these people think it might be -- in the art itself, or in the industry.  Everyone can contribute, but ejecting points of view is not the answer -- collaboration is.  

18 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

https://ibb.co/dQ2GDTc 

He locked his account down but I managed to grab a screencap of this lovely interaction. The guy is a genuine moron.

There have been some really, really awful takes with this movie.

Does he even know that this guy who made The Last Duel also made the thematically similar Thelma & Louise(which is on like every shortlist for greatest "feminist/men are terrible" movie ever made) 30 years before he could become a reactionary shitposter on twitter?

Hes not entirely wrong though that Nicole Holofcener was brought in to help write the 3rd act(which is admittedly the best act in the movie) to help alleviate the "criticism" of only males writing a story about two dudes fighting to the death over a woman's rape in a medieval patriarchal society(if you go back and look when this movie was first announced, Ben and Matt got bad press for it), but even that wasn't enough to keep from triggering some folks if you read some of the reviews.

I don't like this new idea circulating in some precincts where only women should be telling women stories or only POC telling POC stories, and so on.  Its just bizarre.  Eddie Redmayne recently said he shouldn't have played a trans person in The Danish Girl because hes not trans.  Oh word?  Here I was thinking actors pretend to be people they're not for a living.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

I don't like this new idea circulating in some precincts where only women should be telling women stories or only POC telling POC stories, and so on.  Its just bizarre.  Eddie Redmayne recently said he shouldn't have played a trans person in The Danish Girl because hes not trans.  Oh word?  Here I was thinking actors pretend to be people they're not for a living.

Here's my two cents: having somebody from a minority group get the chance to write/direct/produce something that comes from their own experiences makes a film more impactful and meaningful. Obviously there have been plenty of directors who are Caucasian and/or male that have effectively directed films starring racial, gender, and ethnic minorities despite being in those groups. And yes, said directors put a great deal of care in sharp, non-stereotypical depictions.

But at the end of the day, they can't truly understand what it's like to be a woman or have Latino origins or Black skin. So having these types of films with creatives who have lived through these experiences makes a piece more authentic. That doesn't automatically make a movie work, but it usually makes these kinds of themes more effective. If you want an analogy here, it's the equivalent of a professional chef recommending me a restaurant versus some guy off the street. The chef has a better understanding on what makes good, quality food, and has the knowledge of what's a good, tightly-made restaurant, so why wouldn't I prefer listening to the guy who lives in that environment or experience 

And hey, it gives minority filmmakers a stronger opportunity and bigger accolades. Hollywood is getting better, but it's still a white boy's club in so many ways. Sure, maybe the guy Alpha is quoting might not have worded his idea in the best way, but that's....still a noble cause, and it's disturbing to me that people here just want to mock him because he's being mean to a director you like. Ridley Scott, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon are richer than anybody here will ever be in their lifetimes. You already have dozens of movies from Ridley that you love and cherish. I think you can handle a world where Last Duel's budget was used to fund more daring features from directors of color. Is that idea really a bad thing?

And as for that last point, the whole "cis actors playing trans characters is just acting lol" is a big, fat transphobic dogwhistle, whether that's your intention or not. There's still misconceptions that trans folk are just people crossdressing or drag queens. There's people still confused how transgenderism works and that it's something you're born with. There are barely any trans public figures out there. Sincere representation of trans folks just does not exist, and a majority are forced to stay closeted or else face discrimination from bigots and TERFs. They can't achieve even a quarter of the opportunities as cis folk do. Having Hillary Swank or Eddie Redmayne portray a trans character is simply not okay in the same way Mickey Rooney playing an Asian character is not okay. It could have been an amazing role given to a talented trans actor who deserves the work. And complaining about this kind of stuff means you have trans blood on your hands whether you like it or not.

I know this all may sound harsh, but I have to be brutally honest when it comes to stuff like that, regardless of how comfortable folks feel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Does he even know that this guy who made The Last Duel also made the thematically similar Thelma & Louise(which is on like every shortlist for greatest "feminist/men are terrible" movie ever made) 30 years before he could become a reactionary shitposter on twitter?

This is your notification that Thelma & Louise is officially Cancelled™️ on the basis of being a Tool of the Patriarchy™️. If only they had had the wisdom to hire a director of the right gender, sad stuff :sadno:

Edited by Eternal Legion
  • Knock It Off 1