charlie Jatinder

Monday (7/22) Numbers

44 minutes ago, EliasChristensen said:

It seems to be quite easy to please people nowadays. Disney is like the The Pied Piper of Hamelin - they do nothing special but the people follow them.

While I am not a Disney fan today, I absolutely adore their 90s classics. They are my childhood. From "Ariel" to "Mulan" (yeah, even the "Rescuers Down Under").

I just can't get myself to watch the new "Lion King"...why should I do this?

This is not trolling. Definitely not.

I just would like to understand why people are flocking out in millions to watch a nearly frame-by-frame GCI-remake of a movie they already know? Is it really that easy to get butts in seats? Just shit some nostalgia stuff on the table and that's it?

The new soundtrack is awful. With the exception of the new Timon and Pumbaa attitude in "Hakuna Matata" I absolutely hate all new versions of the classics - especially "Circle of Life", "Can't wait to be king" and "Be prepared" are abysmal.

Credit to the new Elton John songs ("Spirit" and "Never Too Late"). Brilliant. I had them on replay nearly 24/7. 

(Yeah, I know that "Spirit" is by Beyoncé...but it sounds like an Elton John song)

There is always a demand first, and then studios make movies according to audience's demands. Try to understand when people have different thoughts than you.

29 minutes ago, EliasChristensen said:

It seems to be quite easy to please people nowadays. Disney is like the The Pied Piper of Hamelin - they do nothing special but the people follow them.

While I am not a Disney fan today, I absolutely adore their 90s classics. They are my childhood. From "Ariel" to "Mulan" (yeah, even the "Rescuers Down Under").

I just can't get myself to watch the new "Lion King"...why should I do this?

This is not trolling. Definitely not.

I just would like to understand why people are flocking out in millions to watch a nearly frame-by-frame GCI-remake of a movie they already know? Is it really that easy to get butts in seats? Just shit some nostalgia stuff on the table and that's it?

The new soundtrack is awful. With the exception of the new Timon and Pumbaa attitude in "Hakuna Matata" I absolutely hate all new versions of the classics - especially "Circle of Life", "Can't wait to be king" and "Be prepared" are abysmal.

Credit to the new Elton John songs ("Spirit" and "Never Too Late"). Brilliant. I had them on replay nearly 24/7. 

(Yeah, I know that "Spirit" is by Beyoncé...but it sounds like an Elton John song)

I was interested to see it because the visuals looked beautiful. And it's nice to see the same beloved story and to hear the same beloved songs with more realistic visuals. And I believe a lot of people have the same reasons. The fact that they already know the movie/story is irrelevant. I mean, people (and maybe you too) watch a movie that they love over and over again, even though they have already watched it dozens of times. Why is it so hard to understand? Why???

Btw, I enjoyed the movie, but I did not enjoy Spirit at all. It's a mediocre song at best. Speechless is a much much better song.

5 minutes ago, catlover said:

I was interested to see it because the visuals looked beautiful. And it's nice to see the same beloved story and to hear the same beloved songs with more realistic visuals. And I believe a lot of people have the same reasons. The fact that they already know the movie/story is irrelevant. I mean, people (and maybe you too) watch a movie that they love over and over again, even though they have already watched it dozens of times. Why is it so hard to understand? Why???

Btw, I enjoyed the movie, but I did not enjoy Spirit at all. It's a mediocre song at best. Speechless is a much much better song.

It’s hard to understand because you just watched the same movie you’ve got at home buts it’s not as good.. oh and you paid for it. :sparta:

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Yup! Huge hit in the day, sadly the sequel didnt live up to it, at least in unadjusted numbers. But more sequels went down than up back then too. 

The sad thing is, the sequel is the better film. 

9 hours ago, jedijake said:

It only needs a 3.13x to reach $600 million. The Monday number nowhere near suggests that won't happen.

Conversely, $550 m would mean a 2.86x. Nothing about Monday's # suggests the multiplier will be that low. The 2nd weekend can be just "ok" (whatever that means) and $600 m could still be safe.  A 60% drop next weekend would put $600 m in deep question. From there it would really have to level off to sub-50% drops each week (with several sub-40% or sub-30%drops here and there) to reach $600m.

"Only" The Monday drop was worse than Incredibles 2  Monday drop (60 % vs 55 %) despite Incredibles 2 coming of Father's Day and TLK not doing that.

In other words, that Monday number also doesn't suggest it will happen.

"Only" a 3.13x is kinda funny considering of all movies too open above 180M only Incredibles 2, Black Panther and The Force Awakens got that far and Jurassic World finished barely below with 3.12x. So a majority didn't even get there.

a 2.86x would be in line with B&tB the one other live action movie that opened with a number that high. Okay, this has summer so it legs will probably be slightly better.

9 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

Yes everybody saw the Monday number which is why they're suggesting 600 +. 

In the weekend-thread a lot of people thought Monday would be on par with Incredibles 2 and there most people had it under 600M, so now Monday is 2M below and suddenly its above 600M, that's not really logical. I am not saying that it won't happen, just that its incredibles foolish to say 600+M because of a rather meh Monday drop (it wasn't overly bad but certainly in no way any indication of good legs).  If the second Wend drop is only 50% and the other weekdays are really good than we certainly can talk about 600M as that would mean it push ahead of I2 by quite something.

Also people will be speculating about 30M yesterday, could happen but if it only comes in around 25-26M will you all suddenly questioning 500M or think oh 700M could happen. There is just nothing suggesting the legs will be good.

Edited by Taruseth

1 hour ago, VENOM said:

It’s hard to understand because you just watched the same movie you’ve got at home buts it’s not as good.. oh and you paid for it. :sparta:

If that's your argument, then why do you go to the theater at all? You can watch ANY movie at home. It's just a matter of when. For me, I go to the theater, because I will get an experience in the big screen that I will not get at home. Same with TLK. I expect a different experience from the animated version. Whether it will be better or not that's another question. You won't know until you go to the theater. Is that still too hard for you to understand?

Also, to watch it at home you need to pay as well. Unless you ilegally download the movie. :sparta:

8 minutes ago, catlover said:

If that's your argument, then why do you go to the theater at all? You can watch ANY movie at home. It's just a matter of when. For me, I go to the theater, because I will get an experience in the big screen that I will not get at home. Same with TLK. I expect a different experience from the animated version. Whether it will be better or not that's another question. You won't know until you go to the theater. Is that still too hard for you to understand?

Also, to watch it at home you need to pay as well. Unless you ilegally download the movie. :sparta:

Well I can’t watch IT Chapter 2 or Once upon time in Hollywood at home before they are out in the cinema because they don’t exist yet..:sparta:

That’s why I would go watch those but this? No thanks. I don’t need to watch it again I still remember what happens and I’ve already seen what CGI looks like on a big screen.

2 hours ago, VENOM said:

Well I can’t watch IT Chapter 2 or Once upon time in Hollywood at home before they are out in the cinema because they don’t exist yet..:sparta:

That’s why I would go watch those but this? No thanks. I don’t need to watch it again I still remember what happens and I’ve already seen what CGI looks like on a big screen.

Well, that's your choice, and I get that. I'm not trying to change your mind about TLK. I'm just trying to make you understand why people are excited to see it. Since it looks like you understand why people go to the movies because you do it yourself, it shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp.

You know what, never mind. I'll make it simple. People go to see TLK because they want to, and they have enough money to do that, so why not.

39 minutes ago, catlover said:

Well, that's your choice, and I get that. I'm not trying to change your mind about TLK. I'm just trying to make you understand why people are excited to see it. Since it looks like you understand why people go to the movies because you do it yourself, it shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp.

You know what, never mind. I'll make it simple. People go to see TLK because they want to, and they have enough money to do that, so why not.

I think what you were trying to say is there is two kinds of people who go to the movies -

A) People who go watch things they’ve never seen before because they want to know what happens and how it ends (like the good old days

B ) People who see a movie they know off by heart because of the nostalgia and because it looks pretty and stuff

I’m an A and you’re a B :sparta:

Edited by VENOM