charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (7/23) Numbers

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Iffy quality aside those movies were money losers.  There's no sizable audience there for nostalgia. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=swanprincess.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=questforcamelot.htm

True. But that and some of the films (except for ”The Prince of Egypt” & ”Anastasia”) didn’t have OS-markets to support those movies back then at the time. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Though nowadays, with Non-Disney animated/live action films...if you pick a correct big/notable-name cast and market it further to a new audience...they would have done....some extra cash.

Also...some of those gained cult-followings...so there is that one bit of nostalgia for the fans. That’s what internet & DVD-repeat viewings are for.

Put Jennifer Lawrence in a live action remake of say ”The Swan Princess” as a role there...and it might do something special. 💁🏻‍♀️

Tuesday has become a huge family movie day. it is the most affordable day to take a family to see a movie. When you can go from potentially close to $100 for a family of 4 to see a movie to $25, it makes a huge difference in decision making. Almost every movie I see now is on either Tuesday or Sat/Sun matinee. That's the only way to make going to the movies for a family affordable. And Tuesday is actually a better deal than a Sat/Sun matinee. Over 50% of the movies i've seen this year have been on Tuesday. 

I mentioned last week that if TLK opened to over 180+ and 50+ on Sunday I thought it could have a 30M Tuesday. Hopefully I am correct when actuals come out. I noticed last week even before opening day that the Tuesday shows were filling up fast.

As usual great jumps for all the family movies. TS4's jump gives it around a 15M cushion on TS3. Passing CM DOM is starting to become a real possibility.

The next 2 weekends will determine if FFH can get to 400M. HC's late legs were really strong due to limited competition and it basically has to match them to get to 400M. 

once again posters are conflating good with popular. First off, good is a subjective term and open to interpretation. Second, audiences, not critics, determine whether they like something. I think most audiences want to feel like they got therir money's worth when they go to a movie, and more often then not are looking to feel good coming out of the theater experience. The Disney remakes have mostly delivered that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Toy Story 4's very impressive holds suggests its OW was a tad deflated maybe due to skepticism that another one was necessary. But clearly WoM has changed that.

There's even a chance it ends up having a better multiplier than Toy Story 3, which I don't think anyone saw coming. For that it would need over $455 million in North America, which obviously won't be easy, but also far from impossible at this point, with the daily numbers it has showed so far.

Last day of the TMobile Atom deal prebuy was yesterday...I used it for yesterday...I'm sure many did...so, don't get wildly excited by the Tuesday numbers...I expected them in the thread yesterday, just like I expect sharp drops today...something like a 45% drop for the family movies would not be shocking b/c of how inflated Tuesday was...

PS - On that point, Aladdin...ummm, you all were some pretty easy graders for that movie:).  I gave it a B-, with its best qualities being its 3 lead actors, and when it was not singing.  I'm not sure why, but the director really could not handle integrating songs into his movie - whether they had the herkiest, jerkiest editing, whether they just weirdly started, whether he literally sped the camera up into 1.25x speed making it odd, whether they had weird energy, etc - the whole movie would have been better if they just acted through the songs as they were sung in background, I think:).  Anyway, boys were split, with the one dying to see it giving an A, and the other an A- (his lowest grade this summer), while the spouse gave it a B+, but said it was nothing unexpected and not as good as the original and literally gave him nothing more...of anything.  And that the price he paid was what he would...and he'd go back to the animated from now on, which ranks in his top 5 movies all time (we actually discussed that his grade was probably higher than mine b/c he puts Aladdin near the top of the 4 Disney ultimate animateds, while it's my bottom one:)...

So, good $2 movie...but if you all paid $15+/ticket, man, I wish I had your finances:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

This is the 2nd straight week that Aladdin has jumped 75%+ on Tuesday. TS4 didn't get there this week but it also jumped over 75% last week.

I think by next summer this is a good chance we have a family movie that jumps 100% on a Tuesday. 

TLK was the 8th fastest to 200M yesterday. Tomorrow it will pass TA and become the 7th fastest to 250M and will likely cross over 300M on Friday in day 8, also 7th fastest (one day faster than TA)

As far as records, TLK is the 5th movie to have a 30M Tuesday. The third non OD Tuesday over 30 and only the 2nd non OD, non Holiday Tuesday (Endgame is the other one).

Edited by RamblinRed

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Last day of the TMobile Atom deal prebuy was yesterday...I used it for yesterday...I'm sure many did...so, don't get wildly excited by the Tuesday numbers...I expected them in the thread yesterday, just like I expect sharp drops today...something like a 45% drop for the family movies would not be shocking b/c of how inflated Tuesday was...

PS - On that point, Aladdin...ummm, you all were some pretty easy graders for that movie:).  I gave it a B-, with its best qualities being its 3 lead actors, and when it was not singing.  I'm not sure why, but the director really could not handle integrating songs into his movie - whether they had the herkiest, jerkiest editing, whether they just weirdly started, whether he literally sped the camera up into 1.25x speed making it odd, whether they had weird energy, etc - the whole movie would have been better if they just acted through the songs as they were sung in background, I think:).  Anyway, boys were split, with the one dying to see it giving an A, and the other an A- (his lowest grade this summer), while the spouse gave it a B+, but said it was nothing unexpected and not as good as the original and literally gave him nothing more...of anything.  And that the price he paid was what he would...and he'd go back to the animated from now on, which ranks in his top 5 movies all time (we actually discussed that his grade was probably higher than mine b/c he puts Aladdin near the top of the 4 Disney ultimated animateds, while it's my bottom one:)...

So, good $2 movie...but if you all paid $15+/ticket, man, I wish I had your finances:)...

So 16.5 for TLK?

I will go 18.5

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

So 16.5 for TLK?

I will go 18.5

19-18 for Wednesday and 18-17 for Thursday sounds about right, which would lead into a most likely 80-85 million weekend, outside chance at 90 with a big Saturday bump and smaller than usual Sunday drop (which is slowly turning into the norm).

• Like 1

Just now, AlexMA said:

19-18 for Wednesday and 18-17 for Thursday sounds about right, which would lead into a most likely 80-85 million weekend, outside chance at 90 with a big Saturday bump and smaller than usual Sunday drop (which is slowly turning into the norm).

Yep you read my mind. Hoping for 85 for the weekend. Better would be fantastic.

14 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

This is the 2nd straight week that Aladdin has jumped 75%+ on Tuesday. TS4 didn't get there this week but it also jumped over 75% last week.

I think by next summer this is a good chance we have a family movie that jumps 100% on a Tuesday. 

TLK was the 8th fastest to 200M yesterday. Tomorrow it will pass TA and become the 7th fastest to 250M and will likely cross over 300M on Friday in day 8, also 7th fastest (one day faster than TA)

I think by next summer, if we still don't have variant movie pricing, we will have a 2nd and possibly a 3rd day of discount pricing at theaters, just so the crowds thin a little for Tuesdays.  If you looked at a recent article, Tuesdays, even though only about, what, 1/2 of theaters run discounts that day, ranks above all the regular weekdays for sales, even though there are no Tuesday holidays or openers (unlike Mondays/Wednesdays)...in fact, if compared to the weekend, it is probably approaching Saturday attendance numbers at the theaters with discounts.  Theaters don't want to have to staff single days at monstrous numbers, and then have 3 dead weekdays around it...

So, I'm predicting a 2nd full discount day or a "time in theater" discount day, where anything in its "x" week gets discount prices for all weekday shows...if we don't get variable pricing in 2020...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I would love to see live action remakes if animated films from other studios as well. They can even remake their own flawed animated films.

Cant wait for the live-action remake we all secretly want:

Norm_of_the_North_poster.jpg   polar1.jpg

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Cant wait for the live-action remake we all secretly want:

Norm_of_the_North_poster.jpg     ----------------------------------------->   polar1.jpg

You know what would actually work as a live-action remake but will never happen for obvious reasons? That dude in my user icon, of course.

Why would it be perfect? Look at how popular cooking shows are right now, this is just a great story that could tap into all of that. Why it will never happen? Because who the HELL wants to see an accurately rendered RAT cooking food for people in a real kitchen. Rat and kitchen really don't go together at all. It worked as an animation because kids don't really care and it was much easier to get over the whole rat in kitchen issue because he didn't actually look like a real rat.

But at some point in a couple years Disney will run out of animated classics to turn live-action, so you know they'll start looking at Pixar's library, so if we ever do get a live-action Ratatouille (like 1% chance of it happening, realistically), I would certainly want to see what that looks like (as long as they don't turn Remy into Stuart Little, of course).

Edited by AlexMA
words

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I would give more credit to the film. OW was straight out disaspointing.

oh yeah i agree with that, i was just impling about the overreactions, when these people hadnt even see its dailes, but yeah they were right in some parts,

ps i still have not understand why it opened that low, even though it had a very good 10 multi

5 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

You know what would actually work as a live-action remake but will never happen for obvious reasons? That dude in my user icon, of course.

Why would it be perfect? Look at how popular cooking shows are right now, this is just a great story that could tap into all of that. Why it will never happen? Because who the HELL wants to see an accurately rendered RAT cooking food for people in a real kitchen. Rat and kitchen really don't go together at all. It worked as an animation because kids don't really care and it was much easier to get over the whole rat in kitchen issue because he didn't actually look like a real rat.

But at some point in a couple years Disney will run out of animated classics to turn live-action, so you know they'll start looking at Pixar's library, so if we ever do get a live-action Ratatouille (like 1% chance of it happening, realistically), I would certainly want to see what that looks like (as long as they don't turn Remy into Stuart Little, of course).

Let Gordon Ramsay be the voice actor for Remy and Endgame goes down.

• Like 1