charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (7/23) Numbers

Man, 30.3M for The Lion King is massive - summer weekdays and discount Tuesdays help, but we rarely see numbers this huge on a non-opening weekday.

Best Non-Opening Tuesdays:

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens -- 37.4M

2. Avengers: Endgame -- 33.1M

3. The Lion King -- 30.3M

4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens -- 29.5M

5. Star Wars: The Last Jedi -- 27.7M

And Toy Story 4 and Aladdin continue to leg it out - with Charlie's Tuesday numbers, already a 3.16 multiplier for Toy Story 4 (with a good chunk of change still to rake in) and 3.74 for Aladdin. Could the latter hit or finish close to a 4 multiplier?

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 11

Yeah with the ticket deal done for (and it definitely inflated sales last week and this one) I expect today and Thursday to not be as nice. 18-19 for LK today and 18ish on Thursday probably. Still leading to the 57-58% drop. Generally speaking Tuesday is bigger than anyday of the next weekend (not always, but a pattern I have noticed in summer the last couple of years) its not because of failure, but simply due to much lower increases on Friday/ Saturday than other seasons. 

As for other films, its obvious this summer which films have made good on word of mouth and made a decent multiplier but for many its been DOA. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Let Gordon Ramsay be the voice actor for Remy and Endgame goes down.

Oh he is DEFINITELY in it in some capacity, but personally I'd stick to Patton Oswalt for Remy. I know who would have been perfect as the food critic, but sadly he isn't with us anymore (Alan Rickman).

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah with the ticket deal done for (and it definitely inflated sales last week and this one) I expect today and Thursday to not be as nice. 18-19 for LK today and 18ish on Thursday probably. Still leading to the 57-58% drop. Generally speaking Tuesday is bigger than anyday of the next weekend (not always, but a pattern I have noticed in summer the last couple of years) its not because of failure, but simply due to much lower increases on Friday/ Saturday than other seasons. 

I agree. With opening weekend previews excluded, Incredibles 2 dropped 51% on its second weekend. An equivalent drop for The Lion King sans previews would lead to about 82M for its second weekend (~57% drop overall). Incredibles 2 had a 56% drop overall, and still went on to have a 3.3 multiplier. The Lion King could potentially do similarly in terms of legs overall, even with a large second weekend drop, if general WOM is good enough.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Man, 30.3M for The Lion King is massive - summer weekdays and discount Tuesdays help, but we rarely see numbers this huge on a non-opening weekday.

Best Non-Opening Tuesdays:

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens -- 37.4M

2. Avengers: Endgame -- 33.1M

3. The Lion King -- 30.3M

4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens -- 29.5M

5. Star Wars: The Last Jedi -- 27.7M

And Toy Story 4 and Aladdin continue to leg it out - with Charlie's Tuesday numbers, already a 3.16 multiplier for Toy Story 4 (with a good chunk of change still to rake in) and 3.74 for Aladdin. Could the latter hit or finish close to a 4 multiplier?

Peace,

Mike

Yeah.

Don't think Aladdin will get to 4x, would need $366,003,716 for that.

And about TS4, best legs for movies opening above 100M, the italic ones opened below TS4:

Shrek 2: 4.084x (Wednesday Opener but only at a 1.194 after O-Sunday)

Wonder Woman: 3.996x

The Force Awakens: 3.777x

Toy Story 3: 3.762x

Toy Story 4: 3.722x if it hits 450M, final gross to end here: 446,179,829-454,888,185

Transformers 2: 3.690x (Wednesday Opener already at a 1.836x after Opening Sunday)

To end it here it would need 435,339,379-446,179,828

Finding Dory: 3.601x

To end it here it would need 426,826,992-435,339,378

Secret Life of Pets: 3.530x

The Jungle Book: 3.525x

Spider-Man: 3.515x (this is actually the only one of the italics that opened above TS3 with 114.8M)

Revenge of the Sith: 3.507x (Thursday Opener already at a 1.46x after O-Sunday)

Black Panther: 3.466x

The Dark Knight: 3.367x

Incredibles 2: 3.331x

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: 3.167x (Thursday Opener, at a 1.250x)

Jurassic World: 3.124x

Marvel's The Avengers: 3.005x

TLK will probably join the list too, as maybe will ROTS and Frozen 2.

Edited by Taruseth

32 minutes ago, cookie said:

BOT jumped the gun based only on Monday numbers? Shocking.

In the opposite direction, so many people suddenly talked about 600+M because of Monday instead of 550M after Sunday...

So not how it normally went.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think by next summer, if we still don't have variant movie pricing, we will have a 2nd and possibly a 3rd day of discount pricing at theaters, just so the crowds thin a little for Tuesdays.  If you looked at a recent article, Tuesdays, even though only about, what, 1/2 of theaters run discounts that day, ranks above all the regular weekdays for sales, even though there are no Tuesday holidays or openers (unlike Mondays/Wednesdays)...in fact, if compared to the weekend, it is probably approaching Saturday attendance numbers at the theaters with discounts.  Theaters don't want to have to staff single days at monstrous numbers, and then have 3 dead weekdays around it...

So, I'm predicting a 2nd full discount day or a "time in theater" discount day, where anything in its "x" week gets discount prices for all weekday shows...if we don't get variable pricing in 2020...

I've been predicting for a while that Disney may eventually experiment with their Disney+ program to have a membership tier that gets you, say, 4 theatre tickets a month, to any Disney movie, subject to restrictions and partnering chains. 

I feel the demand that MoviePass had demonstrated that people want something like this, and if Disney were to ever take this approach with their films, they could create a large chunk of the market that's consuming Disney content exclusively, while being more affordable for families.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I've been predicting for a while that Disney may eventually experiment with their Disney+ program to have a membership tier that gets you, say, 4 theatre tickets a month, to any Disney movie, subject to restrictions and partnering chains. 

I feel the demand that MoviePass had demonstrated that people want something like this, and if Disney were to ever take this approach with their films, they could create a large chunk of the market that's consuming Disney content exclusively, while being more affordable for families.

Considering 4 2D tickets a month would cost me about $68, I don't see how this would be beneficial to Disney at all.   Disney+ at $5.99 a month  is  $71.88 a year    They'd have to double the cost of their service to make 4 free tickets a year profitable.   And they of all studios do not need to do this get people to go see their movies at the theater.

Tiered ticket pricing is the way to go for theater attendance and if studios looked long term it would have been implemented a few years ago.   

Edited by TalismanRing

Great numbers. Just saw the Lion King today and it was honestly terrible. The animation was beautiful but other than that everything just fell flat. I can't put my finger on why because I did like Aladdin so I don't exactly have high standards. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cookie said:

BOT jumped the gun based only on Monday numbers? Shocking.

How did they do that?

It's probably prudent to not jump the gun the other way just because of the first Tuesday number.

• Like 5

Incredibles 2 Day 33 - $3.4mn (added $67mn post that)

TS4 Day 33 - $3.3mn

Now that's despite TS 4 being barely 60% of I2 in OW and 75% on 1st Tuesday. That said, shall atleast do $67mn from here (that would be $450mn) but obviously it shall do more to $450-465mn closing.

In terms of admits TS4 should be around 25-30% more than TS3.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

Great numbers. Just saw the Lion King today and it was honestly terrible. The animation was beautiful but other than that everything just fell flat. I can't put my finger on why because I did like Aladdin so I don't exactly have high standards. 

Aladdin was the superior film and best remake.

TLK is the only live action remake I haven't liked aside from Alice.

• Like 1