baumer

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

Grade it  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

(Posted this on the main thread too)

I loved it but I'm still unsure about the subtext behind many of the scenes. Very clearly the least black and white film in the revisionist trilogy though. It's both a love letter to 60s Hollywood (set in an optimistic history where that Hollywood never died) while also showing the dark underbelly of it. I can see this movie grow on me upon rewatches. 8/10

On a side note, I couldn't pay attention to some parts because I watched this movie two of my friends and I had one of my friends leave close to the end of the movie and had to convince that other to stay till the end. 5 other people from my screening also left.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 3:09 AM, captainwondyful said:

You could have cut an hour of this and lost nothing.  There's probably just fifteen minutes of people's feet or aimlessly driving around LA. 

I completely disagree. We needed the scenes of Pitt driving around LA and we needed the Sharon Tate scenes (which a lot of people have called unessecary too) since they all build up to the finale. I feel like the first two hours was a setup to the punchline that was the ending.

• Thanks 1

I pretty much loved this, Tarantinos best-looking movie along with Basterds and Kill Bill 1&2. Brad Pitt and DiCaprio are just a delight to watch. Its very slow paced, but i never felt bored for a second, kinda like Jackie Brown.

If i would have to complain its that i fee like you could cut out 1 scene of Margot Robbie. But overall, the handling of her and the Manson murderers went in a direction that was really satiesfying so really ... i cant really complain. Just a great movie from a great filmmaker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

It is known that chill Brad is the best Brad and fun Leo is the best Leo, but I think both are really special here. Even if they are giving different kinds of performances, too me they both manage the perfect balance between cartoony comedy characters and real genuine people with a meanigful connection. And the metaness of them playing a bunch of hollywood failures is just a bonus. The movie doesn't even have to wink.

I really really enjoyed this movie from start to finish. It didn't bother me how much it lingered on scenes like Cliff preparing dinner for his dog or driving around LA, in fact most of them were absolutely essential to the general vibe of the film. Tarantino movies are too long or indulgent has been the most common complain I've heard for almost every Tarantino movie before or after Sally Menke's death, but in this case like in almost all of his movies for me it's not a bug, it's a feature.

I also found the movie deeply respective of Sharon Tate and imo it pays a beautiful tribute to her. Even if her primary function in the movie is to build tension just by her presence, she still manages to get some of her original shine back before she was a very famous murder victim. Margot Robbie is so wonderful in it despite her limited screentime.

Over the last month I really tried to avoid the discourse but still heard about the alternative history ending. Didn't felt spoiled at all in the end because how it plays out surprised me in the best way possible. I was amazed how many little things from the first 2 hours pay off in the final act, I really need to see it a second time. 

Too soon to say where exactly it falls in my Tarantino list, but I'm pretty sure it's in the upper half.

• Thanks 1

I never imagined I would give a Tarantino film such negative review. His movies are always that catchy and smooth filled with brilliant dialogue.

The plot is rather messy and not cohesive here. the alteration of the historical event is anti-climatic when the build-up and the reference to the actual event is everywhere throughout the 2nd half of the movie.

Many parts were left me cool that is why i feel the film is overlong. Except for Leo and Pitt character, the rest of the character was rather pointless and not memorable, unlike other Tarantino's film, almost everyone on screen have their significant moment. 

5.0/10

the worst QT film for me.

Pulp fiction - 8/10

IB - 8.5/10

DU - 8.5/10

H8 - 7/10

I sometimes need a second watch with QT films to fully appreciate them but on first watch this was probably QT’s weakest film for me. Large sections of the film just meander without any real progression of the storyline. This would be fine if QT’s usual snippy dialogue was in there but it just isn’t with this one. Every other QT film you can point to at least one scene (usually much more than one scene) and instantly recognise that you’re watching a scene with fantastic dialogue and back and forth between the characters. Calvin’s speech at the table in DU, The entire opening 15 minutes of IB, every other scene in Pulp Fiction. I didn’t view any scenes in this as being iconic or including particular engaging dialogue.

Sure the recreation of old Hollywood is great but I so wanted more to happen with the Manson family angle. The almost goofy (albeit extremely violent) ending gives a glimpse of more what I was hoping for in a QT alternate history revenge flick. 

My opinion will hopefully change when I watch it in a few months on home video but for now, I give this a passable grade and nothing more.

6/10

Enjoyed this a lot. Different vibe from a Tarantino film for the most part until the ending which was glorious. It did drag at certain parts like the scenes with Sharon Tate's character. I know she's important to the set up at the end but her scenes didn't really highlight much at all. I suppose she was there to fill in for a female lead. Leo and Brad's scene's drove the plot forward and they were exceptional in this, especially Brad. Everything else (dialogue, production, score) was done well as usual for Tarantino

8.5/10 (A)

Movie was disappointing to me, I was very hyped seeing Tarantino's name as well as Leo/Brad but the movie is meandering and boring for the most part. The last part with the action was good and funny, but the shift from the rest of the movie felt so jarring. 

Only thing good about this was the acting by Leo and Pitt. Margot Robbie barely gets to do anything apart from dance, drive and look pretty. Oh and also show her dirty feet.

• Like 1