charlie Jatinder

Wednesday (7/24)

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Which again is normal? I fail to see how they left tons of money, especially when exchange rates are meh as far as reporting goes. You seem to have an idea in your mind that is just not accurate on how this works, especially overseas. 

I explained this just fine in my previous posts everyone could have done better with little bit more breathing space. Releasing blockbusters on top of each other in that magnitude is not good for anyone in the BO. It seems like you don't believe in competition?

Edited by Geo1500

2 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

I explained this just fine in my previous posts everyone could have done better with little bit more breathing space. Releasing blockbusters on top of each other in that magnitude is not good for anyone in the BO. It seems like you don't believe in competition?

:hahaha:

Dude this is competition, and how it works. Its time you stop, you continue to dig a hole deeper everytime you add to topics. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

So @Geo1500 is arguing that summer isn't a good time to release a movie and that Aladdin and TS4 left money on the table.

Seems legit.

I never said this but if summer is overcrowded then it's definitely not good and tbh summer is mostly overcrowded and not as an ideal opening slot as many believe

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

:hahaha:

Dude this is competition, and how it works. Its time you stop, you continue to dig a hole deeper everytime you add to topics. 

Okay? Then tell me what is a good opening slot? The less competition the better if you don't agree with this then your basically trolling me..

tenor.gif

Edited by Geo1500

1 minute ago, Geo1500 said:

Okay? Then tell me what is a good opening slot? The less competition the better if you don't agree with this then your basically trolling me 

More competition is a double edged sword. It requires films in play to sell themselves and be good. Two things that a lot of films this summer failed to do - regardless of the territory they opened in. We are on pace for less films this whole year than the past and HAVE opened less films this summer - so again your argument is utilizing the worst summer to try and make a point. 

Are there better spots overseas for films, sure - hence why you see kids films generally opening around school holidays and so on, but not everyone does it. 

You are again asking for something that not only wont happen, but isnt practical as we dont get a total of 52 american films a year. 

And if you havent figured it out, i dont generally troll and I dont generally leave a convo hanging but your thick headed arguments are making it close. 

• Like 3

Also, the summer is the best time for legs barring Christmas. Why a film can drop 50% in week two but due to weekdays still gets a 3x multiplier. 

And since cinema is dominated by american Hollywood, it makes sense that summer films release overseas OMG in the summer. 

#donewiththis

6 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Okay? Then tell me what is a good opening slot? The less competition the better if you don't agree with this then your basically trolling me..

tenor.gif

if i may butt in with a simple statement that summer leaves room for many people to watch a movie x+y times that they might have watched only x times, where x >=0 and y >= 1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Looks like the number I was talking about on Monday. And 45% is a great increase for the time of year. 

yeah 45-50% Fri bumps are rare and 85 is as high as it can go imo while 75 the lowest. high-70s/low-80s seems likely.

Edited by a2k

19 minutes ago, narniadis said:

More competition is a double edged sword. It requires films in play to sell themselves and be good. Two things that a lot of films this summer failed to do - regardless of the territory they opened in. We are on pace for less films this whole year than the past and HAVE opened less films this summer - so again your argument is utilizing the worst summer to try and make a point. 

Are there better spots overseas for films, sure - hence why you see kids films generally opening around school holidays and so on, but not everyone does it. 

You are again asking for something that not only wont happen, but isnt practical as we dont get a total of 52 american films a year. 

And if you havent figured it out, i dont generally troll and I dont generally leave a convo hanging but your thick headed arguments are making it close. 

So you kinda admit to competition but then say the movie has to sell itself? What if there is to many big blockbusters at the same time someone has to get pushed out eventually? Ok lets proceed! 

17 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Also, the summer is the best time for legs barring Christmas. Why a film can drop 50% in week two but due to weekdays still gets a 3x multiplier. 

And since cinema is dominated by american Hollywood, it makes sense that summer films release overseas OMG in the summer. 

#donewiththis

Yes Summer and Christmas are good for legs but it necessarily dosen't mean it's good from the production teams POV because it can get overcrowded and if it gets overcrowded it can be that movies own doom. If it's not empty then Summer is not a good opening slot period and in that case it's better to find other months where there is less competition. Feb-March or October-november etc etc months where it's not overcrowded. 

Everyone knows summer is great so most of them movies will try to book a summer release so you end up with something like 2019 summer 10-12 blockbusters and other local blockbusters opening in overseas markets such as China, Japan, India etc etc. So the popular opinion of summer being friendly to everybody is based on fallacy

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

reminder that Booksmart is still the best movie this summer and everyone should see it

Said this in the other thread but tickets are $5 all day for it (at least around here) so everyone here who missed it the first time has no reason not to dive in (provided it's playing near you).

Edited by filmlover

Shout-out to ROCKETMAN which should make it to high-90s as last weekend was nearly 1m for 94m total. Prod budget is 41m.

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
May 31, 2019 3 $25,725,722   3,610 $7,126   $25,725,722 1
Jun 7, 2019 5 $13,816,016 -46% 3,610 $3,827   $50,314,772 2
Jun 14, 2019 4 $9,420,441 -32% 3,021 $3,118   $66,763,166 3
Jun 21, 2019 6 $5,605,936 -40% 2,414 $2,322   $77,284,325 4
Jun 28, 2019 9 $3,936,302 -30% 2,003 $1,965   $84,240,262 5
Jul 5, 2019 10 $2,612,554 -34% 1,409 $1,854   $89,014,938 6
Jul 12, 2019 12 $1,685,106 -35% 1,332 $1,265   $91,960,016 7
Jul 19, 2019 14 $964,239 -43% 720 $1,339   $93,981,610 8

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $94,390,971 Details
International Box Office $88,592,371 Details
Worldwide Box Office $182,983,342

Edited by a2k
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

if i may butt in with a simple statement that summer leaves room for many people to watch a movie x+y times that they might have watched only x times, where x >=0 and y >= 1

This is a great point. During the rest of year when people or in school or work is maybe busier it can be tough to fit in another showing or two of a movie you really like. Summer affords you more of those opportunities.

Again, good point.

22 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I will never understand the people who’ve been around for over a month and still quote Geo.

Says the guy who has 500 posts per day. You should walk the dog more to get some fresh air Thanos 

• Knock It Off 1