DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood***SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS***

I really, really liked this. Brad Pitt's character was the MVP but Leo was great too, the whole sequence of him shooting his guest spot on the Western was a lot of fun and felt like a clever way for Tarantino to keep going on his western kick. Was kinda surprised how peripheral Sharon Tate was to the story but Margot Robie was really likable and made a great impression with the little screentime she had. Loved the Bruce Lee scene as well, I didn't see it as anything other than a completely loving homage to the man. Didn't see anything racist about it either, it was a dead-on impression of the man and he was just victim to a little hubris and lost the fight. 

Not sure where I'd rank it among Tarantino's other films, definitely enjoyed it more than Hateful Eight. Like most of his films I'm sure I'll enjoy it the more I watch it.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Had a chuckle at the callback to this

tumblr_lqb9unTIf01ql8i93o2_250.gif

Guess the actual cameraman did well for himself in the KahunaVerse

YES! I was mouthing that pronunciation line from my seat when his name popped up. Before realizing it wasn't possible with the timeline at hand, I was also hoping that we'd see some sort of reference to Stuntman Mike at some point.

All in all, it's my favorite Tarantino since Basterds. Even though the last 10-15 minutes make sense from a thematic perspective, I was definitely surprised as they were unfolding.

I'm going to be honest. I feel this movie was a mess. I felt like Tarantino was trying to turn a complex novel he had in his head into a film. Pulp Fiction did a great job balancing the various actors and subplots. Pulp Fiction this is not. IG did a great job at revisionist history. IG this is not. The acting was great. The directing was great. But, the script was an utter and complete mess. I love Tarantino films, but he lost me on this one.

• Like 1

I loved it mostly. I didn’t care for the Bruce Lee stuff and I wish they’d done more with Sharon. 

But I’m honestly just glad to see something original and different for once. This whole summer has been nothing but superhero films and pointless remakes and sequels. This and Yesterday are well worth seeing. 

Too sprawling. No strong core narrative.

i don’t see this playing well outside of QT’s base.

This needed a good half hour cut, something interesting for Margot Robbie to do, and either a three-act narrative or to be presented in a in QT’s classic chapter-by-chapter structure.

QT’s weakest film in decades, by virtue of QT indulging his Hollywood nostalgia.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

On 7/26/2019 at 12:37 AM, SLAM! said:

So, who else was surprised by the flamethrower at the end? We got the trademark Tarantino zoom-in and everything.

Not a bit. That’s why Pitt has to fix the TV antenna, so he could go into the tool shed and we could see Checkov’s flamethrower in the corner.

edit - To be clear, I know you’re being rhetorical/sarcastic in the question. Just pointing out how foreshadowed that flamethrower was.

Edited by Wrath
  • Astonished 1

To the ending and being aware of the event and events that surrounded the true event, I explained what happened to a group of young people I overheard as the movie let out. They straight up had zero idea or understanding of what actually happened and how, why or even what Tarantino was subverting. I think this will be the case for everyone who sees it that's unfamiliar. And, I think it's actually a lot more people than Tarantino expected. People aren't aware of even remotely close as they to the true histories and contextual history behind Basterds or Django.

• Like 4

Someone was asking about the ending in the non spoiler thread and said the ending was disrespectful and even to now, I don't get how the person would think saving the murder victims is disrespectful.  I even told the person I think they got wrong information or I am completely missing something.  It was so obvious they were not going to get killed so it got to be a happy ending that most people wished really happened which isn't disrespectful.  But what do I know?

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

To the ending and being aware of the event and events that surrounded the true event, I explained what happened to a group of young people I overheard as the movie let out. They straight up had zero idea or understanding of what actually happened and how, why or even what Tarantino was subverting. I think this will be the case for everyone who sees it that's unfamiliar. And, I think it's actually a lot more people than Tarantino expected. People aren't aware of even remotely close as they to the true histories and contextual history behind Basterds or Django.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This. I could literally hear people confused as we left he theatre and this was Thursday night. I heard one group totally confused about he ranch scene and they were like “so what was that whole hippie cult thing about. Why did they want to kill them?”  

In another group a guy was trying to explain to a girl about the Manson murders and she was just like “oh so she was supposed to die? And they changed it? ... was she pregnant in real life” lmao.

The film is very niche. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 9:49 PM, ban1o said:

Brad Pitt was great in thee film but he came off very Mary Sue-ish. 

When he whooped Bruce Lee's ass, I checked out of the movie for about ten minutes.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 7:51 AM, ban1o said:

Screams white male fantasy power trip to me. (OMG look this random stunt guy easily threw one of the most know martial arts icons into a car! How cool) It was a funny scene but Bruce Lee was made the butt of the joke for no other reason then to paint Cliff as a bad ass when there were many other ways to do that. Wasn't even historically accurate because Bruce Lee was a huge fan of boxing but it had him trashing the sport. Don't understand why he had such a unfavourable depiction besides Tarantino disliking Bruce Lee or him trying to be an edgy contrarian. 

Also the exaggerated battle cry came off as racist to me. Funny Tarantino did that to the only non white character in the movie. Even Roman Polanski has a more favourable portrayal in the film. 

Tarantino is lucky asians aren't as vocal about racism. If he did that to a black icon like Mohammed Ali or something black people would have vocally trashed the film.

I hated the scene as well but not because I found it racist.  I just hated the fact that some nobody like Rick would get the best of Lee.  Lee was a bad ass plain and simple.  He would have destroyed Rick in a blink of an eye.  I don't know why QT did that scene the way he did but it was probably the scene that bugged me the most.  

• Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 12:16 AM, CloneWars said:

I'm going to be honest. I feel this movie was a mess. I felt like Tarantino was trying to turn a complex novel he had in his head into a film. Pulp Fiction did a great job balancing the various actors and subplots. Pulp Fiction this is not. IG did a great job at revisionist history. IG this is not. The acting was great. The directing was great. But, the script was an utter and complete mess. I love Tarantino films, but he lost me on this one.

I also have a complaint about how much the radio was in the film.  It seemed that QT just wanted everyone to know how in touch he was with 1969.  I found the radio voice overs to be distracting.  It was just non stop.  The look of the film blew me away as I don't think I've ever seen another film do the 60's the  way this one did.  But the over the top radio stuff really distracted me at times.

I rather liked the radio and music stuff. To me, Hollywood is more of a mood kind of film. So those bits worked for me as opposed to some of the other stuff.

Also can't say the Bruce Lee scene was one that I really enjoyed. It played off as a flashback to me. Perhaps a touch exaggerated but I didn't get the sense it was made up.

• Like 2