DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood***SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS***

Just now, MrPink said:

I rather liked the radio and music stuff. To me, Hollywood is more of a mood kind of film. So those bits worked for me as opposed to some of the other stuff.

Also can't say the Bruce Lee scene was one that I really enjoyed. It played off as a flashback to me. Perhaps a touch exaggerated but I didn't get the sense it was made up.

I like it when there's a lot radio and tv stuff from the era.  Stranger Things does it incredibly well.  I felt it was too in your face in this one, but its not the main thing about the film that bugged me.  

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

I like it when there's a lot radio and tv stuff from the era.  Stranger Things does it incredibly well.  I felt it was too in your face in this one, but its not the main thing about the film that bugged me.  

Yes Stranger Things does this really well. I also think some of the radio and tv stuff was a little in your face as well at times. 

I'm also still not sure how I feel about using the real Sharon Tate in the Wrecking Crew footage because she looks nothing like Margot but I think that was a little tribute  to her on Tarantino's part.  

• Like 1

I think when you put it all together, those of us who didn't care for it all that much just felt that it kind of meanders and doesn't really have a point or a plot and some of the movie could have trimmed down.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think when you put it all together, those of us who didn't care for it all that much just felt that it kind of meanders and doesn't really have a point or a plot and some of the movie could have trimmed down.  

even though I seemed to like it a bit more than you, all of this is the criticisms I have.  I got past some of them, but I agree it easily could have been shortened as well.

I wasn't too happy about the Bruce Lee part either.  I get what the point was but yeah other than using Lee because he was around in the 60s, they could have used almost anyone to make Pitt's character seem like a badass.  Of course, yes using Lee makes it even more spectacular for the premise.  While it didn't ruin the movie for me obviously, i won't lie and say I didn't roll my eyes at the whole thing.

• Like 1

I think out of respect to Lee, they could have shown Booth holding his own against Lee but ultimately losing to him.  I liked the hand to hand combat they had together and i kept waiting for Lee to knock him down.  They could have done it without the wife freaking out at the end.  Maybe a better scene would have been Lee beating him but offering him his hand out of respect, saying something like the guy said to a young Indy at the beginningof Last Crusade..."you lost today Booth, but that doesn't mean you have to like it"....and then he says something like ..." you fight well, you have my respect."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, baumer said:

I just feel Tarantino could have done so much better with what he had. 

IMO he should have give Margot a bit more to do to create a better parallel between Sharon's rising career and Rick's declining career and for the audience to create a better connection to her character in order to truly dread her death. I understand he wanted to kinda keep her mysterious but this didn't really work for me.

Rick's storyline could have just flowed so much better too. His storyline just felt like a bunch of funny scenes put together. It needed more structure, a better narrative. 

What worse to me is the first 2/3 of the film were so long and almost completely irrelevant to the last act of the film. Aside from the flame flower scene and Cliff getting to say "I know you guys" to the Manson kids. The ranch scene with Brad Pitt should have had had more implications on the movie later on. I wouldn't have even minded maybe one or 2 scenes from the perspective of the Manson family without Cliff's character.

I enjoyed the film over all but I just feel it could have been so much better. It needed to be shorter and to have more structure. 

And yeah the Bruce Lee stuff annoyed me so much not just the fight but how he was depicted over all but if I think too much about it it's going to make me hate the whole film. I've already talked about it enough lol. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

I'm not gonna lie. I choked up when Dalton was finally invited to share some time with his next door neighbor. It was as if a ghost opened up the gates to an alternate universe we all want to live in. That was a nice tip of the hat from Quentin. Some might complain about the historical revisionism, but the ending is so sweet and heartfelt in spite of the hardcore violence that preceded it. I really REALLY loved this film. Especially when I think about it more.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, ban1o said:

Yes Stranger Things does this really well. I also think some of the radio and tv stuff was a little in your face as well at times. 

I'm also still not sure how I feel about using the real Sharon Tate in the Wrecking Crew footage because she looks nothing like Margot but I think that was a little tribute  to her on Tarantino's part.  

I noticied that too.

What is weird is that QT could have inserted Robbie into the "Wrecking Crew" footage the way he inserted Leo into the "Great Escape" footage (which I think actually worked really well..of course "The Great Escape is a favorite of mine anyway) but Tarantion chose to go another route.

One of  my problems is that the "fake" 60's tv footage..particulary that from the "Bounty Hunter" show...often looks nothing like an actual 60's show would have looked. Getting the  look right would not have been that hard. For someone who is so careful with his visuals that is surprising.

I enjoyed a lot of it, but did not thinkg the whole Manson angle worked very well, and found the transition from the relatively low key and realistic tone of the first two thirds to the pure fantasy of the last third really jarring.

Put me down as one who thinks the whole film might have been better if the Manson angle would have been jettisioned complety.

It's like QT had twodifferent  ideas for a film set in the Hollywood of 1969, decided to combine them, and the result never quite mixed well.

Agree that Julie Butters, the kid actress in the TV show, is going to be a star. She stole every scene she was in.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One of  my problems is that the "fake" 60's tv footage..particulary that from the "Bounty Hunter" show...often looks nothing like an actual 60's show would have looked. Getting the  look right would not have been that hard. For someone who is so careful with his visuals that is surprising.

If you are talking about the FBI episode, it was exact footage but a CGI inserted DiCaprio face in it (like for the Great Escape but that time without wanting it to be noticeable/higher quality of CGI work), I imagine that with good cable/TV set that is how it would have look.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If you are talking about the FBI episode, it was exact footage but a CGI inserted DiCaprio face in it (like for the Great Escape but that time without wanting it to be noticeable/higher quality of CGI work), I imagine that with good cable/TV set that is how it would have look.

Talking more about the fake "Bounty Hunter" TV show. Also a out and out anti hero like the Di Capio character in the show would never have made it on TV in the late 50's early 60's.  which is when the show would have been shown.Network Standards and Pratices would have killed it a minute.

Even the suppisdely mercenary charecters like Paladin (Richard Boone) in "Have Gun Will Travel" and Steve McQueen bounty Hunter in "Wanted:Dead or ALive" were pretty much your standard, "FIghter for Justice Good Guy " western heros.

I think QT knows this, but decided it would be "cooler" to make the Bounty Hunter a cynical 70's character. At times I think Tarantino'd desire to be "cool" trips him up as a filmmaker.

A minor point, I know, but still fif you are going to fake something, at least fake it right.

My entire theater went crazy for the ending. Especially when the Pitt threw the can of dog food at that Manson chick's face and busted it and when Leo brought out the flamethrower. Funny too because at least 2/3 of my packed theater was made up of 50 or older lol.

That dog is the real superhero of the summer. Spider-Who?

Edited by filmlover