sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

People seem to have a very hard time to grasp the fact the word

original

is a VERY loose concept.

I personally see more originality in genre movies/blockbusters and all than in all the stale movies cinephiles fap to.

These movies, by design, want to show you things that don't exist in real life.

Not creative enough, uh ?

Blockbusters have books called the Art of and you have 300-400 pages full of amazing drawings (around 1000) by all the artists who design these movies, so much art and creativity you wouldn't believe it.

Plenty of sci fi props, machines, armors, powers, planets, characters, aliens you will never see in treal life.

I just don't understand the notion that, visually, blockbusters are safe and always the same while movies like Hollywood or The Favorite are the original ones.

Nolan is supposed to be the creative artist when he does superhero movies because he is filming New-York and Chicago while I can see a huge fight in a distant planet between Thanos and Dr Strange that required the work of 250 artists (previz artists, directors, designers, vfx artists) for one year.

I will never ever understand that mindset.

The search for "realism" and grittiness is, to me, in contradiction with human imagination.

it is very loose indeed. it's pretty clear that you and i have pretty different ideas about the concept, which is fine on it's own. but like i say you don't need to spew the same copypasta every time someone dares to use originality and tarantino in the same sentence. some times you can just leave it be man. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

By the way :

QT s nostalgia : Goooooood, bold, creative, visionary : for the elites with delicate palate and Phds, lovers of fine cigars and brandy.

Disney s nostalgia : Baaaaaaaaad, corporate soulless cashgrabs : for the Joes & Janes  of the world working  lame 9 to 5 jobs you have to put on with on a daily basis.

You could have chosen Roma, Dazed and Confused, American Graffiti, etc...  instead of this in your comparison , but it would have shown an important difference, wes exploring someone else personal life nostalgia well the other is designed to appeal to our own mass nostalgia about movies we have seen.

Now I am not so sure how many people thing that Disney nostalagia is bad (you are talking to who ?), in that context:

Toy Story 4: 98%

Force Awaken: 93% on rotten tomatoes

EndGame: 94%

Jungle Book: 94%

Saving Mr. Banks/Poppins: 79%

Yes Tomorrowland got bad reviews but I doubt it was the nostalgic aspect that hurted it.

Disney nostalgia tend to be immensely well received by critics, world audience, about everyone on this message board (

), yet.....

Results this is why I'm torn on Tarantino doing Star Trek cause while it would be great to see him tackle an IP for once it robs us of another big budgeted non IP film that has a chance of doing well at the BO for once. Unless he won't count it to his 10 Films or something.

2 minutes ago, Mr Pastaffelees said:

Please forgive me for my new profile pic.

it's an improvement over the pic that is based off of, so no forgiveness needed ;) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alli said:

Pretty frontloaded. Wom is not good fam.

That doesn't mean WoM is bad. Legs from its weekend onwards would mean its WoM is bad. You're not even trying anymore

27 minutes ago, TMP said:

- snip -

Even I understand that post and have, and that's rather seldom with posts by Futurist, to agree to some points

Its different POV and how ppl perceive the same in different ways and so on.

4 PM previews in the Summer is pretty much an OD. It makes sense Friday isn't all that big. I said in the first few pages that this wouldn't go above 45M.