sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

20 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Right! it's pretty obvious that Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment aren't even trying to go that head-to-head route anymore. They're not making any moves by going "what's Marvel doing. Can we do that? So we can beat them?" They're trying to find their own niche in that market and settle into it as comfortably as they can... I'm still confused as to why they haven't decided to make that niche "animated movies" since nobody else was doing it... and then Sony put out "Into the Spider-Verse" and won an Oscar with it....They have a whole DC Animated Universe.... Batman the Animated Series. Superman the Animated Series. Justice League Unlimited. Young Justice... all they have to do is adapt those stories to the big screen with more money for better design and animation... And they would have had their niche. 

But they're approaching it in their own way now... It's not a winner-take-all competition. It never really has been. The only place that competition is happening is in the heads of fanboys.

Spider-Verse while critically acclaimed also made a lot less money than the average Spider-Man movie, likewise Lego Batman. I suspect DC's own DTVs do the job just fine without the expense of P&A and theatrical distribution. 

3 of the 5 Warner Bros films that cracked $1bn are DC films so they know there is big money to be made with superheroes so they're going to keep going at it.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Disney is normally conservative but are predicting 20% drop for Lion king. That is way too soft for 2nd weekend when there is no spillover effect. most probably it will drop slightly more. Unless Friday/Saturday are underestimated, it could go below 75m with actuals !!!!!

• Like 1

Solid weekend overall.... those of us with a tad more reality arent surprised one way or the other with the numbers. 

Sad my gut was right on Hollywood, way over indexed on the coasts and not able to compensate. 

• Like 1

The Lion King’s 2nd weekend decline seems kinda normal. The last July record breaker, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 dropped way worse than this with over 70%, while that’s not a complete solid comparison that’s still something to say at least. Domestic total for Lion King is tough to say at the moment but by next weekend this should be over $1 billion worldwide! 

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood debuted quite solid with an estimated $40.3 million. As a fan of the film I’m quite happy to see this result! This is Quentin Tarrantino’s Best debut for his career! While it is Leonardo Dicaprio’s 4th best debut, Brad Pitt’s sixth(technically fifth if you take out Deadpool 2), and Margot Robbie’s 2nd best debut! This is also the best non-Disney or comic book or sequel debut since Us! While cinemascore is unreliable it’s B- is bologna when you consider real word of mouth, and as for legs this will play well with adults in the late summer. Overall I’m expecting Hollywood to shine it lights around $120 million domestic at the moment. But I hope we can get some great legs in the dailies ljkChz8_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

margot-robbie-makeup-free-airport.jpg

For the other releases, what else is there to talk about? We now officially have five films already in mid-year pass $1 billion. Crawl is playing solid for a monster movie that little marketing. Then next weekend Hobbs & Shaw Im expecting to muscle out between $65-$75 million as it will be the first non-Disney movie to number one since Men In Black: International. 

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Disney is normally conservative but are predicting 20% drop for Lion king. That is way too soft for 2nd weekend when there is no spillover effect. most probably it will drop slightly more. Unless Friday/Saturday are underestimated, it could go below 75m with actuals !!!!!

it could make 74 :d horrors ( i am just joking around)

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Taking a break from numbers for sometime. Unless something breakout, I won't be sharing weekdays numbers. May be Weekend I will continue.

take a break charlie you deserved it, we are so happy to have you around, and thank you for all the contribution to the forum :)

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, john2000 said:

probably both of these movie will make make most of their money by then

TRoS has 12 days in 2019, I could see it doing around 1B(assuming around 1.5B overall). Frozen 2 has a bit of a staggered release. Christmas time for Australia, Sweden, Norway. 2020 for Argentina, Brazil, and China. Maybe even more countries in 2020. Frozen 2 will definitely make hundreds of millions in 2020. I don’t think it’ll be enough though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I hope TLK at least gets over $550M+ DOM. Can’t see it finish below Rogue One, despite the critical reception.

550m should happen. There is almost nothing worthwhile releasing in August. So another 200m after 75m 2nd weekend should happen. But not much more than that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Taking a break from numbers for sometime. Unless something breakout, I won't be sharing weekdays numbers. May be Weekend I will continue.

You've done more than enough for us. You deserve a break.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

But who will keep us updated on the future 2 billion grosser Hobbs and Shaw? :(

Just now, Inceptionzq said:

TRoS has 12 days in 2019, I could see it doing around 1B(assuming around 1.5B overall). Frozen 2 has a bit of a staggered release. Christmas time for Australia, Sweden, Norway. 2020 for Argentina, Brazil, and China. Maybe even more countries in 2020. Frozen 2 will definitely make hundreds of millions in 2020. I don’t think it’ll be enough though.

oh didnt know that frozen 2 was that stagerred in terms of os release date ,yeah 

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

If it follow DH 2, will hit $525mn. A slightly better shall take to $550mn.

Thankfully its not falling short of BaTB. That would have sucked.

Yeah... late summer will help Lion King out. Probably as something for families as they’re going back to school, this would be a good one for them to see 

6 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Are there any OS numbers for Once Upon A Time?

Probably not because it's only been released in 6 minor territories - Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Lebanon, Sti Lanka, Pakistan.