sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

Voice acting could be so much worse tbf

This is hilarious. You just reminded me of one of my favorite videos, I come back to this like once a year

"BARRY. WHERE'S BARRY."

"BLOOD. HOPE THIS IS NOT CHRIS'S BLOOD."

• Like 1

I don't think once upon a time in Hollywood is going to have a very good multiplier. I saw it today and it's really meandering. I don't really understand what the whole point of the movie was. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it all that much either.

One thing I can say is that when Brad Pitt is on screen it's much better than when he's not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

The lion king will soon become the highest grossing animated movie! It breaking the animation ceiling. 

Highest-grossing animated films[4]
Rank Peak Title Worldwide gross Year Ref
1[nb 2] 1 Frozen $1,290,000,000 2013 [# 1]
2 2 Incredibles 2 $1,242,805,359 2018 [# 2]
3 2 Minions $1,159,398,397 2015 [# 3]
4 1 Toy Story 3 $1,066,969,703 2010 [# 4][# 5]
5 4 Despicable Me 3 $1,034,799,409 2017 [# 6]
6 4 Finding Dory $1,028,570,889 2016 [# 7]
7 4 Zootopia $1,023,784,195 2016 [# 8]
8 2[nb 3] Despicable Me 2 $970,761,885 2013 [# 9][# 10]
9 1 The Lion King [nb 4] $968,483,777 1994 [# 11][# 12]
10 10 The Lion King [nb 5] film currently playing $962,675,534 2019 [# 13]

You must take your place. . . as King

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep. Don't let any revisionist history say any different, the 600 floor 1b ceiling DOM was largely the narrative for the past year around here. 

1b ceiling "was largely the narrative around here"???

Surejan.gif.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

TLK is a major underperformance relative to expectations. 

You mean the expectations of all the nerds here at the site? Because when a movie gross is 1.3 billion dollars it's far from the under performance.

• Like 1

Once Upon a Time in Flopllywood underperformed as expected. It will probably barely cross the 100M and end with maybe 250M WW on a 90M budget. The QT/DiCaprio/Pitt/Robbie combo can only muster a 40M OW? Lmao cinema is fucking dead.

Meanwhile Lion King is on the verge of hitting 1B and become the king of the live action adaptations in all aspects: DOM, OS and WW. Disney has doomed us all.

Top 2, 3 and 4 belong to Disney. And Aladdin is somewhere in the top 10 as well. All have hit or will easily hit 1B WW. Cinema is over. Disney killed it. Now to the streaming era we go.

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

Disney plus is gonna be massive.

the pricing is insane for all that content 

100% good value for money, wonder what the confirmed Hulu/Disney+ will cost? They will miss a lot of new stuff early on, so that sucks, but if they give me some of that late 80’s and 90’s cartoons including the Fox Kids stuff it will be worth it, love going to sleep with some nostalgic stuff on.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

You mean the expectations of all the nerds here at the site? Because when a movie gross is 1.3 billion dollars it's far from the under performance.

The expectation of anyone with common sense who knew it's the crown jewel of Disney's library, who knew it was the 2nd highest grossing film ever after JP when released, who knew it only added to its appeal over the years (its 2012 re-release gross doubled JP's 2013 re-release) via its record breaking stage musical. It's an underperformance any way you slice it. Pulling less in its second weekend than BATB is actually embarrassing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Cinema is over. Disney killed it.

Don't say that. There's still A24. See Uncut Gems this December instead of Cats/Star Wars if you want more original films!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The expectation of anyone with common sense who knew it's the crown jewel of Disney's library, who knew it was the 2nd highest grossing film ever after JP when released, who knew it only added to its appeal over the years (its 2012 re-release gross doubled JP's 2013 re-release) via its record breaking stage musical. It's an underperformance any way you slice it. Pulling less in its second weekend than BATB is actually embarrassing. 

I have found it interesting how often one's own personal opinion matches up with perceived common sense, yes.  Funny how that works.

(more on this in a post I am working on currently)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not my expectations.  Might even slightly exceed them.

@captainwondyful @Thanos Legion 

Gonna WILDLY exceed the expectations of @baumer, that's for sure. :lol:

*Checks notes Disney rankings club*   

On 6/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, Thanos Legion said:

The Lion King (590M)

On 6/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, Thanos Legion said:

The Lion King (1.45B )

Well atm I’d go more like 570/1.6, so I’m calling that some met expectations.

• Like 1