cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Up to a 9.3 average with top critics, totally insane. Can it actually maintain it? It has probably about half of its total top critic reviews at this point, so it might. I just can’t see how this won’t generate major awards buzz with this kind of reception. It seems far more acclaimed in the west than the reception in Japan we were hearing. 

I somewhat understand why they released it to the Japanese public before sending it to festivals, but I have to imagine this kind of global word-of-mouth would have given some sort of boost to its box office. Especially absent any other traditional marketing. It's really racking up the international festival appearances, so any buzz there is should only grow.

It seems to be the most critically acclaimed movie at TIFF, at least based on current aggregate scores. I wonder if that could translate into winning the top prize (though, of course, an audience award doesn't necessarily line up with critics' opinions: Jojo Rabbit certainly wasn't the most critically acclaimed movie at TIFF the year it won). Should at least be able to get into the top 3 regardless.

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 1

I wonder if the themes of the movie just aren’t as resonant with a Japanese audience as a western one? 

Could also speak to what I was saying about Miyazaki’s relevance in the West since he “retired” 10 years ago. He has become a total icon here in that timeframe. Whereas I feel like his relevancy peak in Japan was the early 00s. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

I somewhat understand why they released it to the Japanese public before sending it to festivals, but I have to imagine this kind of global word-of-mouth would have given some sort of boost to its box office. Especially absent any other traditional marketing. It's really racking up the international festival appearances, so any buzz there is should only grow.

It seems to be the most critically acclaimed movie at TIFF, at least based on current aggregate scores. I wonder if that could translate into winning the top prize (though, of course, an audience award doesn't necessarily line up with critics' opinions: Jojo Rabbit certainly wasn't the most critically acclaimed movie at TIFF the year it won). Should at least be able to get into the top 3 regardless.

It was critically acclaimed in Japan too, but the actual audience did not like it that much. They said it was difficult to understand. He said he didn’t get the reception he wanted so he was coming out of retirement (again).

In the west it has 89 Metacritic and 9.3 average Top Critic on RT, but is sitting at 7.7 on IMBD and 4.0 on Letterboxd already.

7.3 from Japan. 7.5 from United States more specifically.

And that’s before GA reviews start coming after wide release in December.

There’s clearly a split.

Edited by Valencia

Just now, Valencia said:

That’s not what I remember happening.

It was critically acclaimed there but the actual audience did not like it that much. They said it was difficult to understand. He said he didn’t get the reception he wanted so he was coming out of retirement (again).

In the west it has 89 Metacritic and 9.3 average Top Critic on RT, but is sitting at 7.7 on IMBD and 4.0 on Letterboxd already.

And that’s before GA reviews start coming.

There’s clearly a split.

I thought most of the Japanese critic reviews were more along the good not great lane as well? 

55 minutes ago, Valencia said:

He said he didn’t get the reception he wanted so he was coming out of retirement (again).

Source for that?

Based on what the Ghibli international distribution VP said at TIFF, it didn't sound like retirement was even really on the table this time around: "He is currently working on ideas for a new film. He comes into his office every day and does that. This time, he’s not going to announce his retirement at all. He’s continuing working just as he has always done."

People said the same thing about The Wind Rises (that he came out of retirement because he didn't think it was good enough), but I think this dude just likes to keep making movies. Even if he made another Spirited Away level crossover hit, idk if he'd be able to commit to retiring for long.

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I thought most of the Japanese critic reviews were more along the good not great lane as well? 

They were positive. It was reported as mixed because audiences did not like it. It is his lowest rated film on both filmarks and eiga (Japan IMBD and Letterboxd basically). As well as one of this lowest grossing films there in the last 30-ish years.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also on an aside: it would be funny if Miyazaki “came out of retirement” again because of Japanese reception only to go right back into it if this were to pull something like BP and BD noms at the Oscars lol. 

He didn't show up to get the one he won for Spirited Away so I can assure you he doesn't care that much.

Nor should he. His box office has been 80% Japan for 40 years lol.

Edited by Valencia

4 hours ago, Valencia said:

They were positive. It was reported as mixed because audiences did not like it. It is his lowest rated film on both filmarks and eiga (Japan IMBD and Letterboxd basically). As well as one of this lowest grossing films there in the last 30-ish years.

He didn't show up to get the one he won for Spirited Away so I can assure you he doesn't care that much.

Lol, he didn't show up to the ceremony but during the year-long Oscar campaign leading to the eventual win that year, he was actively involved throughout.

4 hours ago, Valencia said:

He didn’t show up because of the Iraq war at the time, and anyone who knows Miyazaki knows he is anti-war more than anything. US is obviously full of problems right now, but starting unnecessary wars with countries hasn’t been one of them since that thankfully. I’d bet money he would care big time about a BD/BP Oscar nom these days. Not to mention those cats are a way bigger deal than the animation Oscar, which barely had existed when he won. 

TIFF People's Choice Award has been announced:

1. American Fiction

2. The Holdovers

3. The Boy and the Heron

This is actually the first time that an animated film has been in the top 3 at the festival (or top 4 or 5, in years that they announced more than three).

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyone here know how the topic of death and one’s mortality are seen in Japanese culture? Could be a reason it wasn’t as appealing there, whereas in the west that kind of stuff can very lauded in media if pulled off well. 

I have no idea about Japan, but through their movies, I always thought Japan might be the one of the very few Asian countries where people/characters can safely talk about death. They have hits movies like Death Notebook or classic like Departures. I really don't think that could happen in any other eastern Asian regions.

• Like 1

One of my friends who saw the film in Japan describe the movie as the least audience-friendly Ghibli film. 

Judging from the premiere plan so far, Heron is receiving wider presence in the festival as compared to other GKIDS anime award push like Mirai, Belle and WwY but weaker than Kaguya (Kaguya got Cannes). 

55 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

One of my friends who saw the film in Japan describe the movie as the least audience-friendly Ghibli film. 

Judging from the premiere plan so far, Heron is receiving wider presence in the festival as compared to other GKIDS anime award push like Mirai, Belle and WwY but weaker than Kaguya (Kaguya got Cannes). 

Was it even finished in time for Cannes? I get the sense they were working down to the wire to hit the Japan premiere. 

At any rate, I’m getting major delusions of grandeur of this getting BD and BP noms and actually playing to win. I mean, hey, how many bigger living legend filmmakers are there than Miyazaki, and this critical reception is just too over the top for me to not get excited about awards here.

I said all along I thought this was an Oscar contender if it was considered top tier Miyazaki, and that’s what the critical reception has certainly been. Wind Rises for example only had a 7.9 average rating with top critics. That’s a chasmic difference from 9.3.