cannastop

What is your Cinema Treasure?

http://cinematreasures.org/

Describe your theater of choice, I guess.

Right now, if I want to see a movie, I mostly go to Regal Atlantic Station 18. In a complex that I can get to from a MARTA rail station. I mean, it's alright, and the projectors shine bright and vibrant. The seats are kind of outdated, but I guess the busiest theater in Georgia (and many times in the top 10 in the entire country) can't exactly install big sofas like some AMC locations.

I have gone to the IMAX with laser at the Regal Mall of Georgia too. The seats there too, are close together and hard to navigate in the dark, to find your reserved spot. Kind of worth it for the big screen and the new projector, but I wasn't overly impressed with it over the 70mm Dunkirk experience I had there. The screen itself is huge, as it was installed before IMAX decided to dilute its brand.

When I lived in my hometown, I went to AMC Classic and NCG somewhere in Gwinnett County. Being pretty far away from the city (but not too far away from the city), both these theaters charge dirt cheap for tickets. The AMC classic has the old type of fabric seats, but they charge around $6 for a ticket. The NCG charges $8 to sit on a non reclining cushy leather-type seat. Sometimes overbuilding cinemas in the 90s benefited the consumer. The projectors here aren't that great though. Both run movies as they come out, so it's not like this is some second run theater.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Favourite cinema?

Prince Charles Cinema, leicester square london. It might only have two fairly small screens and the seats have no legroom (and no fucking cupholders...) but that place is Movie Heaven.

Anyone with the faintest interest in films and cinema if you visit London you need to check it out.

It doesn't show many new films, it exclusively shows films that are unique, interesting, have fans etc. They do loads of audience interaction films, cult films, series marathons, etc.

For example in the next week, they are showing 28 different films:

Armstrong

The Matrix

Booksmart

Reservoir Dogs

Diego Maradona

Lawrence of Arabia

Gwen

In Fabric

The Mask

The Ward

House of Sweat and Tears

Nightcrawler

Pulp Fiction

Oldboy

Call Me By Your Name

The Terminator

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Election

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Her

Heat

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

How to Train Your Dragon

How to Train Your Dragon 2

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Tigers

Rebel Without A Cause

Synecdoche, New York

It's not convenient for me as I don't live in London, but it is awesome fun when I do go. I've been to see The Room where you all shout out the lines and throw stuff at the screen, presented by God Wiseau. And been to South Park film "swear-a-long" where everyone shouts out, sings the songs, and swears at the movie / at each other.

My cinema of choice for regular films is Cineworld, St Neots just in terms of convenience for me. I don't pay for tickets as I pay £18 a month for Unlimited subscription. I haven't had to pay for a film ticket in 5 years since being subscribed. It's a pretty new cinema so it's clean and the screens are in good condition, and they've designed it to have the seats quite far apart. Staff are always friendly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hmm. Hey do you take the train to London when you want to go to Leicester Square? Do you recommend that?

Yes. Driving in is a nightmare, and can be expensive with parking & congestion/pollution charges for cars.

Take the train to Kings Cross (other stations are available) and then use London's tube network to get to the part of London you want to go.

Leicester Square is good for cinemas. It's where films hold their UK red carpet premieres. Cineworld has a Laser IMAX - only two of these in the country and they're awesome. Odeon has just opened the first Dolby Atmos screen in the country. And Prince Charles Cinema has an amazing range of cinephile pleasing films. All within a few feet of each other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Leicester Square is good for cinemas. It's where films hold their UK red carpet premieres. Cineworld has a Laser IMAX - only two of these in the country and they're awesome. Odeon has just opened the first Dolby Atmos screen in the country. And Prince Charles Cinema has an amazing range of cinephile pleasing films. All within a few feet of each other.

It's like 42nd street in Manhattan on steroids.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's like 42nd street in Manhattan on steroids.

There's also a large multiplex Vue cinema there. 

I believe the cinemas on Leicester Square are some of the oldest in the country, it is a bit of cinema history.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

There's also a large multiplex Vue cinema there. 

I believe the cinemas on Leicester Square are some of the oldest in the country, it is a bit of cinema history.

Yeah old cinemas in the USA largely don't play current movies. Lots of them have been converted to live performance venues. Or have just been demolished.

Although Los Angeles is an exception here.