cannastop

Who is the greatest living filmmaker?

I took at the 2012 Sight & Sound poll critics' list and made note of the movies directed by people who are still alive.

The first one to come up was Jean-Luc Godard, then Francis Ford Coppola. Then come Wong Kar Wai, David Lynch, Martin Scorsese, Béla Tarr, Ridley Scott, Roman Polanski (yikes), Claire Denis, Víctor Erice, and Werner Herzog.

Of these filmmakers, Wong Kar-wai is the youngest, born in 1958, followed closely by Béla Tarr, born in 1955. All of the others were born in the 40s or earlier.

Of course, there's no accounting for taste. You could easily add filmmakers such as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, James Cameron, Hayao Miyazaki, Paul Thomas Anderson, Terrence Malick, The Coen Brothers, David Fincher, Alfonso Cuarón, Richard Linklater, Asghar Farhadi, Guillermo del Toro, George Miller, Charlie Kaufman, Wes Anderson, Sofia Coppola, Spike Lee, Pedro Almodóvar, Kenneth Lonergan, Ang Lee, Lars von Trier, Quentin Tarantino, Kathryn Bigelow, Todd Haynes, Jim Jarmusch, Cameron Crowe, Steve McQueen, Brad Bird, Andrew Stanton, or Pete Docter.

I dunno. It's interesting at one time, how many masters of the art form are long passed, (Hitchcock, Welles, Fellini), but with a few titans still alive today, such as Jean-Luc Goddard, Francis Ford Coppola, Scorsese, Spielberg, etc. And it wasn't that long ago when Ingmar Bergman was alive (I remember hearing the news), or even Antonioni (they died on the same day).

Of course I have a soft spot for certain directors here. I might rank Hayao Miyazaki a bit higher than most, for instance.

The Link is my personal favourite living filmmaker but i suppose it's more of a personal thing to me rather than any kind of objective advantage he has in talent or skill. I just love the way he makes movies. 

How I define greatest filmmaker?

1. relatively consistent commercial success relative to their scale

2. consistently produce critical acclaimed films

3. Oscar/ award bodies darling

4. Fathom following

And there are many many great filmmakers check the all criteria above. 

If i have to pick only one, I will pick Hayao Miyaozaki. 

My top 5

1. Hayao Miyaozaki

2. Steven Spielberg

3. Francis Cord Coppola

4. Martin Scoresese

5. Q. Tarantino

• Like 1

Comparing Spielberg output to Star Wars first run's give some idea of the size of is success.

Rank Title Studio Domestic gross
1 Jaws Universal $190,000,000

Rank Title Studio Domestic gross
1. Star Wars 20th Century Fox $221,280,994

Rank Title Distributor Gross
1. The Empire Strikes Back 20th Century Fox $209,398,025
Rank Title Distributor Domestic gross
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark Paramount $212,222,025
1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial Universal $359,197,037
1. Return of the Jedi 20th Century Fox $252,583,617

Close encounter 171m outside the USA in 1977 was not that smaller than Star Wars $190m accumulated by the end of 1978.

Jurassic Park first run of 914m WW in 1993 was pretty much the same has Phantom Menace first run of 924.3m WW in 1999