efialtes76

Monday Numbers: OUATIH 4.63M

35 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Once Upon a Time... -$4.63M

Spidey-$1.8M

Annabelle-$0.25M

https://www.the-numbers.com/daily-box-office-chart

That's good for Spider-Man, even with Homecoming, and if it can stay level from here on out it could still crack $400 million (if it does exactly like Homecoming from this point on it will finish with $400.7 million, so seriously cutting it close there). It all comes down to next weekend and how much of an impact H&S will have on it. But seriously, it needs to stay at least even from now on, and if it doesn't the $400 million dream is over.

• Like 1

About the same as TLK drop % wise last week. Curious to see how the second weekend goes.

Maybe 16-20 (likely 17.5-18.5) for OUATIH for the 2nd weekend? Lazy math

Edited by cdsacken

Stuff like this probably isn't helping...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-bruce-lee

This paragraph at the bottom is annoying, too...

Once Upon a Time... has already become a box office smash; it’s Tarantino’s second biggest debut after Inglourious Basterds, once that film’s take is adjusted for inflation. Academy members, meanwhile, appear to be flocking to the film in droves—making its prospects at next year’s gala all the better.

It opened in 2nd place with $40 mil. That's not really what anyone should be calling a "smash" in 2019. A success, sure! But probably not a "smash," especially since the break-even point is reportedly around $400mil ww. Also, the knee-jerk adjusting for inflation as if it meant anything... or as if anyone asked them to do that. 

Anyway, I'm really curious to see how this weekend's word of mouth circulates and affects the 2nd weekend....

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Once Upon a Time     $4,635,000   -58%

Other adult skewing movies in the summer

DUNKIRK: Jul 24, 2017     $6,444,109     -51%     
War POTA:Jul 17, 2017     $5,787,356     -61%

Bah gawd, what a lovely drop for Dunkirk.

Of course, it had IMAX and since that was probably most of the gross, the Tuesday jump was pretty poor :ph34r:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

It opened in 2nd place with $40 mil. That's not really what anyone should be calling a "smash" in 2019. A success, sure! But probably not a "smash," especially since the break-even point is reportedly around $400mil ww. Also, the knee-jerk adjusting for inflation as if it meant anything... or as if anyone asked them to do that. 

Really not sure why 2nd place is relevant here, specially when the first place in an above 70M monster family movie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Really not sure why 2nd place is relevant here,

Because it's not 1st place. Which is usually where "smashes" go. 

It's a success, sure. It's not a "smash." If it costs 90mil to make and best case scenario is clearing $120mil DOM,  nobody would call that a "smash." 

Just now, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Because it's not 1st place. Which is usually where "smashes" go. 

It's a success, sure. It's not a "smash." If it costs 90mil to make and best case scenario is clearing $120mil DOM,  nobody would call that a "smash." 

Agreed. Smashes don't maybe break even

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Agreed. Smashes don't maybe break even

I agree with this (to an extent) but that's unrelated to weekly ranking. 

ASIB was a smash even though Venom doubled its opening weekend. 

• Like 1

LOL...so many acronyms for things that aren't ever acronym'd, took me awhile to figure out what ASIB was, sorry...

Star is Born could be called a smash because it cost way less, had much better drops, and made almost $100mil over what Once Upon a Time is being assumed to make... 

I understand I'm sort of splitting hairs here, LOL.... but I was annoyed at that last paragraph. It's the sort of lazy and unnecessary exaggeration that makes reading about our hobby here in mainstream publications so frustrating.