The Wild Eric

Malignant | September 10 2021 | A James Wan Horror Joint

2 hours ago, TestPattern said:

It was test screened recently and, it wasn't positive 

KC Walsh outright said it was Malignant before deleting the tweet and also implies Army of the Dead is also really bad.

I'm sure this movie sucks, but why are all these scooper bros always so fucking vague. Either say what it is or don't say anything

15 hours ago, TestPattern said:

It was test screened recently and, it wasn't positive 

KC Walsh outright said it was Malignant before deleting the tweet and also implies Army of the Dead is also really bad.

There wasn't any screenings for Army of the Dead yet according to ViewerAnon.

Edited by dcmos

5 minutes ago, dcmos said:

There wasn't any screenings for Army of the Dead yet according to ViewerAnon.

Not like that movie was ever gonna be good. Wonder if WB finds a new director for Aquabro 2, Wan’s not even signed on yet so there’s still time

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Not like that movie was ever gonna be good. Wonder if WB finds a new director for Aquabro 2, Wan’s not even signed on yet so there’s still time

Why wouldn't it have been? Wan kickstarted three of the biggest horror franchises of the century. He's shown himself to be a clearly competent horror filmmaker (despite what I thought of Aquaman).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Why wouldn't it have been? Wan kickstarted three of the biggest horror franchises of the century. He's shown himself to be a clearly competent horror filmmaker (despite what I thought of Aquaman).

I was talking about AOTD

Giallo horror is usually divisive either way. They have a much larger emphasis on style than story. Show these guys the original Suspiria and they would be sleeping. If Wan's directing is great in this, it should still be a great film. Also, Birds of Prey and Godzilla KOTM supposedly got great test screening reactions but had mediocre WoM while vieweranon said Hobbs and Shaw was terrible and that movie had good WoM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, he's not talking about his own opinion but rather the opinion of everyone else at the screening. 

I got invited to a random test screening back in 2018 that turned out to be Detective Pikachu, and somehow Pokemon fans must have found out about it because a ton of them were there too. 

If you had seen their comment cards and reactions you would have thought it was the greatest movie ever made. Execs looked positively thrilled.  

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Giallo horror is usually divisive either way. They have a much larger emphasis on style than story. Show these guys the original Suspiria and they would be sleeping. If Wan's directing is great in this, it should still be a great film. Also, Birds of Prey and Godzilla KOTM supposedly got great test screening reactions but had mediocre WoM while vieweranon said Hobbs and Shaw was terrible and that movie had good WoM.

Yup, Wan has such an astonishingly good track record (box office wise, personally, he's super hit and miss with me) that I would be shocked if the movie turned out to be so despised. 

As for BOP or KOTM see the above example. Super-fans have a way of finagling themselves into these kinds of test screenings and I'm sure execs encourage it somehow, because it must make their scores look great. 

• Like 3

If it really does push for giallo, I struggle to think any regular viewing audience would fall in love with it. Hopefully this isn't going to be a case of test screenings doing poorly so they change it around to make it more accessible.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

On 3/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, Lucas said:

If it really does push for giallo, I struggle to think any regular viewing audience would fall in love with it. Hopefully this isn't going to be a case of test screenings doing poorly so they change it around to make it more accessible.

James Wan is WB's most important director after Chris Nolan and also delivered the highest grossing film of their biggest franchise. They aren't going to force Wan to make the movie accessible or something because they wouldn't want to end up losing him for future projects over this. Would be much beneficial for WB to let James Wan do what he wants than fight with him over it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

James Wan is WB's most important director after Chris Nolan and also delivered the highest grossing film of their biggest franchise. They aren't going to force Wan to make the movie accessible or something because they wouldn't want to end up losing him for future projects over this. Would be much beneficial for WB to let James Wan do what he wants than fight with him over it. 

I'm thinking more James Wan would be the one to want to be more accessible if a casual audience hated it.