Eric Atreides

Malignant | September 10 2021 | A James Wan Horror Joint

Everything I said about test screening reactions was accurate. I’d also like to point out that I was founding member of Team “See Malignant in theaters because you’ll have a blast” well before critics started seeing it.

Anyway, from THR’s review…

The film might have been outrageously bizarre fun if it displayed any humor or ironic self-consciousness, but everything is played so straight that viewers will find themselves laughing not with the film but at it

The straight face is absolutely why MALIGNANT works in the capacity it does. It would’ve been insufferable if it called itself out and winked at the audience.

I can’t WAIT for the CinemaScore. One way or the other I doubt we’re looking at a boring B.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

The straight face is absolutely why MALIGNANT works in the capacity it does. It would’ve been insufferable if it called itself out and winked at the audience.

I read the excerpt earlier and I thought the exact same thing lmao. It's the reason why I think something like Aquaman works. Annoyed by the movies that don't go all in with the cheesiness and have to wink at the audience so that they can be taken more seriously or something (like GvK, F9, Shang-Chi).

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I had a hunch I would find it in the 60s. 65% right now, it'll have a very enjoyable time fighting to keep itself fresh, but the important thing is it very much seems like more or less the "right" people are really digging it.

I very much thought the same thing about that THR quote. Obviously can't comment on it in relation to this film just yet, but part of James Wan's most admirable strength is his total commitment to take the goofy material seriously, and not feel like he has to look down on it and wink at the audience. It's something that's brutally missing in a lot of films these days, and I always love when Wan is able to embrace it like that. He's completely sincere and that's wonderful.

I'm very much ready for tonight.

Edited by Lucas

4 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Everything I said about test screening reactions was accurate. I’d also like to point out that I was founding member of Team “See Malignant in theaters because you’ll have a blast” well before critics started seeing it.

Anyway, from THR’s review…

I can’t WAIT for the CinemaScore. One way or the other I doubt we’re looking at a boring B.

This movie isn't getting a B. I mean, stuff like Annabelle Creation got a B.

The Nun ( which is a poor movie ) got a C.

Malignant is absolutely not the movie promoted by the trailers. No wonder WB dumped this one, even with decent reviews. 

This a very bad movie, probably one of the best worst movies I've ever seen. No idea on how people will react once leaving the theaters, lol. I had fun with it, but for the wrong reasons. This is a bad movie that knows it's bad and plays it with a straight face. Perhaps that's why critics are enjoying it.

• ...wtf 1

Looking at pre sales will this movie even make 4 million this weekend. This will be a major lose for Wan and WB.

also starts with a 36 on Metacritic and Likely to drop in the 40s range on RT. Already dropped from 83 to 58 in an hour. Looks like early word was right.

Edited by Nikostar

I think it will end up rotten but in the 50's, so no panned.

Still it can finish fresh slighty over 60, with divisive movies you never know.

And no, early word isn't right because there's no early word, there was bad test screenings which coming from a movie like this doesn't mean much. Candyman also have Bad test screenings according to many rumours.

Now the reviews are the expected for a "love or hate" movie like this one. 

Up to 71% now, holding on well with some more high scores. A very rare rotten 3/5 from Guardian stopped it from going even higher as of now (Of the last circa 120 films Guardian has given a 3/5 to, the only other one to be rotten on RT is Jazz on a Summer's Day, coincidentally its only rotten review to date).

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1